Belgian Style Bar in Paris

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Belgian Style Bar in Paris

Post by Comet »

When I was in Paris I went to a Belgian style bar called La Gueuze, 19 Rue Soufflot. The main standard fare is mussels and chips, but also beef and salmon were available. There was an extensive beer list of Belgian beers, so it sounded really appealing.
I didn't realise that the staff had absolutely no idea about serving Belgian beer.
The Kwak, although it was served in the correct glass supported by the wooden stand, was poured by someone who quite clearly had no idea what he was doing. He stood there very proudly, and placed the glass on the table. He poured the beer straight into the glass!! Surely someone should have taught him that Kwak is poured with the glass tilted, and poured with care!! As soon as you pour a beer into a narrow glass, the stuff cannot expand outwards so it expands upwards, and straight out of the top of the glass!! Most of the Kwak ended up on the table, needless to say!!
I fared better with the Mort Subite Gueuze in the 37.5cl bottle, because he left me to pour it myself and I know what I am doing with beer!! However, it was not served in the correct glass for its type.
I ordered mussels in stock (you know the kind which comes in a big pot and is full of soggy leeks and celery and stuff) and chips (fries). The chips were the frozen, microwave kind, and the mussels were those little orange coloured things you find all over France, not those nice meaty ones you get in Belgium. The food was average, I've always eaten better in Belgium than France, and, all in all, this place was a huge disappointment, and didn't live up to its potential and promise.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: Belgian Style Bar in Paris

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I ordered mussels in stock (you know the kind which comes in a big pot and is full of soggy leeks and celery and stuff) and chips (fries). The mussels were those little orange coloured things you find all over France, not those nice meaty ones you get in Belgium.
Indeed, the mussels served in France are of a variety called Bouchot. Nothing comparable to the Zealand mussels served in Belgium! :-)
André
ex Sabena #26567