Knokke

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
sn26567

Knokke

Post by sn26567 »

Knokke is certainly the most snobish destination on the Belgian coast, if not in whole Belgium: suffice to see the concentration of Mercedes, BMWs and convertible cars parading through the streets.

For eating at a reasonable price, go to 't Kantientje on Lippenslaan 103. The best mussels chef of Belgium (there was such a competition)! Also excellent Croquettes aux Crevettes (garnaalkroketten) and a decent wine list.

For seeing (celebrities) and to be seen, there is only one place: the terrace of the Carlton Hotel, Albertplein. On the expensive side: 2€ for a Stella Artois (but excellent draught).

We had an excellent day nevertheless...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Very interesting Andre - we had originally considered Knokke as alternative to Oostende (I love Oostende), as someone had recommended it, but I think I will stick with Oostende.
It would be nice if mussels chefs in Belgium would do them in some other way than in that dreadful stock with the leeks, celery and stuff, that is the most hateful way to be served mussels, and you always get one of those huge pots full of them. I prefer them in garlic butter.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

At 't Kantientje, you can choose between 6 or 7 different preparations: normal, white wine, garlic, cream, provencale, etc.

Delicious :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:At 't Kantientje, you can choose between 6 or 7 different preparations: normal, white wine, garlic, cream, provencale, etc.

Delicious :)
I got caught out like that in Antwerp once!! Found a place which advertised mussels in garlic butter and made a special effort to go and eat there. I ordered mussels in garlic butter, and what did I get? One of those big pots with mussels in stock. The following day I found a similar place in Oostende, and sensibly ordered plaice instead. My Mum ordered mussels in garlic and they came again in stock.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet,

Mussels in Belgium almost invariably come in stock! At 't Kantientje there is one dish in which they are served differently: mussels "à l'escargot": shells are served individually with garlic butter, like for snails. Try it!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre - those are the very mussels that I mean when I talk about mussels in garlic butter.
That is the only way to eat them!!
Louise