Good Food In Spa

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Comet

Good Food In Spa

Post by Comet »

When I was in Spa I came across a real gem of a place. It's a restaurant called Les Relais, and it's quite reasonably priced.
The main problem for me was that the menu was all in French, and the waiter only spoke a little English, but we muddled through it and I ordered grilled rainbow trout. The trout was superb, and the cavity bit was stuffed with rosemary and other herbs, so this gave the fish a pleasant flavour. Also on offer were superb chips (fries), cooked inside and crisp on the outside, and not those dreadful frozen microwaveable things which seem to be getting more common in Belgium (certainly in more touristy areas). these were the genuine Belgian article, which was a nice change. For anyone visiting Spa, this is worth a look.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I know the place. It is at Place du Monument, 22. Not far away from there, I had also a good experience at La Belle Epoque, place du Monument, 15. Also with delicious chips: the secret (as told by the owner) is to cook them in beef fat (rather than in vegetable oil), a first time at 160° for approx. 10 minutes, a second time at 180° for 2-3 minutes.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

You're right about the beef fat, we always do them that way at home, it improves the flavour no end.
It's also nice to see that others know the places that I'm talking about.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise