BRU-MAN and vv on BA

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-MAN and vv on BA

Post by sn26567 »

This Tuesday (5 Aug) afternoon, I flew British Airways Citiexpress TH1619 from BRU to MAN. This flight was a codeshare BA1619/SN5425 operated on a Avro RJ100 registered G-BZAZ. As usual on TH the seats were 6 abreast over 18 and 1/2 rows, which means they can cramp 111 people in a RJ100. The leather seats can however be arranged to have only (!) 5 abreast in business class (the normal seating for economy at SN).

Fortunately, the load factor was only 25% (5 pax in C, and some 20 in Y). In order to receive full mileage credit for my FF programme, I booked and bought my ticket through SN (BA does not credit any miles on cheap fares!). But because of that I could not use the automatic check-in machines, neither at SN nor at BA. I thus registered at a BA check-in desk. I had seat 12A, a window, which I always prefer.

The flight itself was uneventful. Departure and arrival 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Meal was an All Day Deli (see pictures of Sabena_690 in the Airline Meals section of Luchtzak.be). Drinks: wine, beer, coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc. As I has a headache, I selected tea, in a plastic cup, and it was OK.

Service was staunchly unilingual, as usual, but friendly and efficient: 4 flight attendants for 25 pax is a high ratio; 2 stewards (Gordon and Andy) in C; 2 stewardesses (Cassie and Joanne) in Y; glad I was in Y :-). SN BArt, take note ;-)

On the way, clear skies throughout the trip and fantastic views of the delta of the Scheldt river with all the dams built by the Dutch as part of their Delta plan. Excellent landing by an experienced pilot. But afterwards I was ripped off by a British bank: I wanted £20 of cash, so I introduced my Visa card in a cash dispenser, punched my code, and got only £10, together with a receipt for £20. I bitterly complained, and it's not the end of the story...

The return flight on the next day was less of a pleasure. BA1620/SN5426 was due to leave at 17:30. When I arrived at the airport at 16:00 I was told that the flight would be one hour late for unknown reasons; moreover, when I checked the television screens announcing the departures, I saw the the previous flight BA1618/SN5424, due to leave at 14:00, had still not yet departed and further news woud be available at 17:05!!! Of course, at 17:05 all news about that flight had disappeared: the flight had been cancelled altogether.

Apparently, only the flights to BRU had problems at BA. Boarding also resulted in problems: several passengers had been assigned the same seats. This was easily resolved because the load factor was only about 60%, notwithstanding the fact that the passengers from the previous plane were also there. Finally the plane G-MABR, a BAe146-100, departed 1 hr 20 min late. This was explained by the fact that plane had to be changed for technical problems. Usual BA uncomfortable seating (6 abreast, with fabrics rather than leather seats this time); the plane seemed shorter, only 14 rows of 6 = 84 cramped seats (this was an early model of the BAe146); this means also less stewardesses: only three (Rebecca, Emma, and another one whose name I didn't hear). No separation between C and Y class. I was in seat 6A.

Usual All Day Deli, usual drinks (coffee, tea, wine, beer, soft drinks). I had a Grolsch imported from Holland (better than cat-piss Heineken :)), but served luke-warm like English beers :().

No announcement that the flight was codeshared with SN BA: maybe it was better so, I would have been ashamed to put the SN code on such a flight. At arrival, the pilot however mentioned that for retrieving baggage one should look at flight numbers BA1620 or SN5426

Altogether, and not so good experience. Sabena_690 should revise his opinion of BA.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Andre - you hit Manchester at the worst time of the year for delays, it's the height of the holiday season just now, and you get alot of serious delays.
BA sound like a real load of crap, you now know why I will only ever fly to Belgium on Belgian airlines.
VLM always used to mention their code share with SNBA on their LCY-BRU and return flight, but they don't code share with them now.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thx for the nice report André :wink:

I'm surprised I thought that there would be more pax on the BRU-MAN route 8O

Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Avro wrote: I'm surprised I thought that there would be more pax on the BRU-MAN route 8O

Chris
8)
The BRU-MAN-BRU flights operated by Sabena were almost invariably full, both on the Avro and the 737, most people obviously prefer quality over crap!!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:BA sound like a real load of crap, you now know why I will only ever fly to Belgium on Belgian airlines.
I did not have too much of a choice: SN BA suspends its evening flight to and from MAN during the two summer months :(
André
ex Sabena #26567