Brussels Airlines in 2024

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nathan_06

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2024

Post by nathan_06 »

lumumba wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:32
fcw wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:24
lumumba wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:03 There is a flight of Brussels Airlines arriving tonight with an A320 NEO is this a test flight?
No, why do you think so?
SBC is operating Bamako with a fueling stop in Las Palmas.
It's not a commercial flight the commercial flight sn 359 is arriving tonight also at 19h10...
Brussels airlines is not flying to Bamako!?
Is Brussels Airlines using its A320 to Africa!?
So oo-sbc is now performing test flights

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The strike of the pilots is postponed

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Atlantis wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 21:37 The strike of the pilots is postponed
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... d-walkout/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 21:37 The strike of the pilots is postponed
I'd rather say "suspended". Wait until the final result of the negotiations.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

.... and as expected the strike will go ahead.

I think I'll book my summer trip to Spain with Iberia or Vueling. I want peace of mind without the constant threat of strikes with SN. (it's really disastrous for their image but they don't seem to care, so be it)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 19:51 .... and as expected the strike will go ahead.

I think I'll book my summer trip to Spain with Iberia or Vueling. I want peace of mind without the constant threat of strikes with SN. (it's really disastrous for their image but they don't seem to care, so be it)
Exactly. Now now it goes about details. They put the whole company in danger. Very nice also for their new partner Singapore Airlines who is starting flights to BRU and codeshare on certain SN flights. Unbelievable

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Boavida wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 19:51 .... and as expected the strike will go ahead.

What makes you think Iberia, Vueling, or Ryanair employees will not be on strike this summer?

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

The strike is of course bad news, and detrimental for the reputation and future of SN
Still, the first to blame is the German managent.
Since many years now they have desinvested in SN and given almost no chance to the airline.
If you buy a company you have the moral duty to make it work. Germans and their pupils heve excelled in arrogance and incompetence.

aF/KL taking good advantage of german mismanagent.

Even in their mother company, now called StreikHansa the problems heap up.

Poor Germany.

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

I agree with you Jovan2. And btw, the Big Boss's annoucement at a time of crisis (read social unrest) about the development of BRU as a large hub between North America and Africa is imho nothing more than smoke and mirrors (or bluff). I will develop this later (sorry, I don't have time now).
I like the new surname Streikhansa for LH.(Schadenfreunde).
It is worth noting that, if I am not mistaken, the strike will not impact the start of the Easter holidays in Flanders (correct me if I am wrong).

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:24

Exactly. Now now it goes about details. They put the whole company in danger. Very nice also for their new partner Singapore Airlines who is starting flights to BRU and codeshare on certain SN flights. Unbelievable
Messing up people's Easter holidays by the hundreds, how empathic. They pokered and put the knife to managements' throat thinking it wouldn't dare NOT to give in to the demands. Bad luck, bluff called.

Thanks for reminding me that I should not make the mistake of booking my flights with Brussels Airlines if there is an alternative on the route. Unreliable service providers are just not my thing - however justified pilots' demands might or might not be. As a customer, I pay for service.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

Like Lux_avi rightly pointed it out : how sure can you be that workers from ground staff to pilots at other airlines will not go on strike (even at Ryanair) ? Without even mentioning ATC (and not in Belgium only). Perhaps the best option is to go on holidays somewhere reachable by car ?

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 20:24
Exactly. Now now it goes about details.
Is trying to get your salary back to pre-covid level a detail to you?

Duke

Post by Duke »

Vic Diesel wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 23:33

Thanks for reminding me that I should not make the mistake of booking my flights with Brussels Airlines if there is an alternative on the route. Unreliable service providers are just not my thing - however justified pilots' demands might or might not be. As a customer, I pay for service.
I agree with you...
Thank you Brussels Airlines for ruining our family holiday... (6 people).
This was the last time we booked our holidays with Brussels Airlines....

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

TimTam wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 00:21 Like Lux_avi rightly pointed it out : how sure can you be that workers from ground staff to pilots at other airlines will not go on strike (even at Ryanair) ? Without even mentioning ATC (and not in Belgium only). Perhaps the best option is to go on holidays somewhere reachable by car ?
Workers in certain countries enjoy going on strike more than in others (perhaps in those also the unions are more into cooperation with the employers' side than into confrontation). There IS always an alternative - certainly to an airline where pilots call of a strike, just to move it to another date on short term (close to Easter weekend), just to make sure they make life miserable for the maximum amount of passengers. Effective move, I admit that - but not exactly one that will raise sympathies within the ranks of passengers. And at the end, those are the one buying tickets and thus keeping the airline in business. Some tend to forget that...
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

In other news Singapore Airlines expands SN codeshares to:

Copenhagen, Stockholm, Hamburg, Lisbon, Vienna, Oslo, Madrid and Berlin

Source: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240321-sqsncodeshare

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

JOVAN2 wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 21:37 The strike is of course bad news, and detrimental for the reputation and future of SN
Still, the first to blame is the German managent.
Since many years now they have desinvested in SN and given almost no chance to the airline.
If you buy a company you have the moral duty to make it work. Germans and their pupils heve excelled in arrogance and incompetence.

aF/KL taking good advantage of german mismanagent.

Even in their mother company, now called StreikHansa the problems heap up.

Poor Germany.
Was SN ever a pearl?

Not at all - let's remember ... under Belgian majority it was so well managed that Lufthansa took over 55% for almost nothing.

Even now, the company does not operate having a profitbility margin allowing a sustainable future.

That's why also the cut during COVID times was the most drastic among all group airlines.

The major point is as in any business - you have to make your money in your bread and butter business, and this is short haul from BRU.

If makret conditions and "facilities" and fair for all players or if for regional pride there is a jeopardising other airport not offering even level ground to competitors may be a rount for unequal competition conditions.

Before you blame others, you should look on the distortions in your own market.

The passagers are right to be frustrated.

But also a company can pay out more to its emplyoees only from net earnings, means profit. And if profit is less becasue you get other cost base than the others around you for political resaons only, there is less you can offer.

These are basic laws of economics, regardless of the fact that they emplyoees have a legitimate right to fight for better bay.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

What I don't understand with pilots is that it's the top of the social basket; they can find a job wherever they want in any other company, why go on strike?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

lumumba wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 13:33 What I don't understand with pilots is that it's the top of the social basket; they can find a job wherever they want in any other company, why go on strike?
Yeah well, there is already a significant exodus to other airlines.

But for sure, it’s also very easy to quit everything you have in Belgium, leave your family behind and go to the Middle East instead. Why didn’t they think about that, really :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Not only passengers are frustrated, but travel agencies are now reluctant to book customers on Brussels Airlines, especially if they have a connection with Lufthansa (StrikeHansa) at Munich or Frankfurt. It's not only Brussels Airlines, but the whole Lufthansa Group that is affected.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Lux_avi wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 14:04
lumumba wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 13:33 What I don't understand with pilots is that it's the top of the social basket; they can find a job wherever they want in any other company, why go on strike?
Yeah well, there is already a significant exodus to other airlines.

But for sure, it’s also very easy to quit everything you have in Belgium, leave your family behind and go to the Middle East instead. Why didn’t they think about that, really :lol:
It may be necessary to change the model and put the entire company in Ireland because there have been more than a hundred years of commercial aviation in Belgium with only a few short years of weak profitability?
Hasta la victoria siempre.