Brussels Airlines in 2024

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2024

Post by lumumba »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 21:44 Boston is not United Airlines hub, they don't operate long haul flights. They serve only 7 dest from BOS. I don't understand the choice to start flights from BRU

United Airlines Chicago–O'Hare, Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington–Dulles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Int ... al_Airport

I could understand if BOS was a focus city like American Airlines is doing with over 20 destinations in North America. and a long haul service to London (they closed their seasonal route to CDG few years before covid).
But from where do you get the information that they gone start to fly to Boston?
There are discussing but post probably it will be Houston.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Pilot strike at SN confirmed (hln) from 23 to 27 march

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

brabel wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 17:13 Pilot strike at SN confirmed (hln) from 23 to 27 march
For pilots they mention tax that is too high at Brussels Airport has main problem for the low profit.

sn2047

Post by sn2047 »

brabel wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 17:13 Pilot strike at SN confirmed (hln) from 23 to 27 march
Do we know how significant the impact of the strike on SN's operations will be? I know someone who's planning on traveling during the strike period...

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Even if UA has 7 destinations from Boston - could it be at all feasible SN flies the route even though the focus is Africa? After all they fly to JFK and Washington (seasonally)

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

theeuropean wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 15:58 Even if UA has 7 destinations from Boston - could it be at all feasible SN flies the route even though the focus is Africa? After all they fly to JFK and Washington (seasonally)
From a business prospective it's irrelevant. Within the A++ Joint Venture the partners share cost and revenues.

From a marketing point of view the target group are United customers connecting to Africa and it would be not very wise to let them fly both legs with a brand not saying anything to them.

Looking operationally, LH is upgrading MUC-BOS to A388 and this capacity basically frees one aircraft - regardless how pax are rerouted trough various hubs for United, so this could be used to connect BRU.

It's always a bigger puzzle than the local view.

Duke

Post by Duke »

sn2047 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 18:50
Do we know how significant the impact of the strike on SN's operations will be? I know someone who's planning on traveling during the strike period...
We regularly travel to our Spanish holiday home. This easter we booked 6 return tickets (parents and 4 children), all with Brussels Airlines (as we have done for the last few years), to have a week of quality time together. If a strike would make this impossible, we will definitely never book with Brussels Airlines or the whole LH group again... there are a lot of other companies who we can fly with.. We are of course not very important business customers, but 6 people traveling several times a year.. Brussels Airlines staff should realise they don't have any monopoly, and several charter (TUI) and (low cost) airlines are offering the same services (Transavia, Ryanair, Vueling,...), mostly for the same costs...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Duke wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 21:10
sn2047 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 18:50
We regularly travel to our Spanish holiday home. This easter we booked 6 return tickets (parents and 4 children), all with Brussels Airlines (as we have done for the last few years), to have a week of quality time together. If a strike would make this impossible, we will definitely never book with Brussels Airlines or the whole LH group again... there are a lot of other companies who we can fly with.. We are of course not very important business customers, but 6 people traveling several times a year.. Brussels Airlines staff should realise they don't have any monopoly, and several charter (TUI) and (low cost) airlines are offering the same services (Transavia, Ryanair, Vueling,...), mostly for the same costs...
I my opinion it's not the staff but the management that should realize they don't have any monopoly....

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 17:21 Not 100% related to 2024, but Spohr revealed some very interesting insight into SN's future :

LUFTHANSA IS PLANNING A NEW MAJOR PROJECT WITH UNITED

Lufthansa is involving Brussels Airlines in a new cooperation with United Airlines: Teams in Frankfurt, Chicago and Brussels are working on joint connecting connections from the USA to Africa. Lufthansa boss Carsten Spohr is promising investors a "major project" at the company’s Brussels hub. Lufthansa wants to develop Brussels into a hub for African connections to and from the United States. According to CEO Carsten Spohr, Lufthansa is seeking an agreement with United Airlines for joint "Africa flights via Brussels". "This is a major project with United that we expect a lot from" said Spohr in Frankfurt last week. Lufthansa also wants to push the reconstruction of the short-haul network at Brussels Airlines. Spohr announced that the group had "overshot the target" when it came to reducing capacity in Brussels and would increase feeder traffic for the profitable African lines again.

True Global Hub

Brussels Airlines does not want to comment on the project in detail. "It is no secret that we are pursuing ambitious growth plans for our long-haul network" said a spokesman. The Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary refers to existing alliances with United and Air Canada in North Atlantic traffic. These "transatlantic capacities" have the potential to "make Brussels a true global hub for passengers traveling to and from Africa" said the spokesman. Brussels Airlines will soon have ten Airbus A330s available again for the intercontinental network. The airline wants to utilize its long-haul fleet more with African routes than before the crisis and is heading to 18 destinations on the continent.

Source : aero.de
Exciting news. I really hope they'll finally start flying to South Africa (JNB, CPT). You can't be the 'African expert' airline, without flying to the most important tourist destination in Africa.

convair

Post by convair »

Boavida wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:33 Exciting news. I really hope they'll finally start flying to South Africa (JNB, CPT). You can't be the 'African expert' airline, without flying to the most important tourist destination in Africa.
I agree, but I think they'll need more planes for that: a JNB or CPT flight + clean/maintenance/refuel time takes more than 24 hours.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Boavida wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:33 Exciting news. I really hope they'll finally start flying to South Africa (JNB, CPT). You can't be the 'African expert' airline, without flying to the most important tourist destination in Africa.
As United flies already non-stop from Newark to Capetown, I don't think it will be a priority... Unfortunately.

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

...and the other airlines in the group fly already these destinations.

The first logical move would be rather to add new aircraft and expand frequencies and carefully add niches.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Agree they should focus first on adding frequencies and de-coupling eventually triangular flights.

However, I see also a possibility that LH/LX shift e.g. Dar Es Salaam to SN, just like they did with Accra. On Lagos I am not so sure. Nairobi is added now, but it is also offered by LH.

I see also Bamako and Libreville eventually coming back.

Eventually Brazzaville as a 'backup' for Kinshasa.

On the US side I also see Washington becoming year-round for SN; while Boston could be served by SN as well. Boston is maybe less important for travel to Africa, but it is a technology hub which is what could work well for Belgium (major links between big research institutes).

This all of course not in one go and assuming they will evolve from 9 (10) to 15 long haul planes.

Cheers,
Danny

convair

Post by convair »

DannyVDB wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 18:18 Hi all,

Agree they should focus first on adding frequencies and de-coupling eventually triangular flights.

However, I see also a possibility that LH/LX shift e.g. Dar Es Salaam to SN, just like they did with Accra. On Lagos I am not so sure. Nairobi is added now, but it is also offered by LH.

I see also Bamako and Libreville eventually coming back.

Eventually Brazzaville as a 'backup' for Kinshasa.

On the US side I also see Washington becoming year-round for SN; while Boston could be served by SN as well. Boston is maybe less important for travel to Africa, but it is a technology hub which is what could work well for Belgium (major links between big research institutes).

This all of course not in one go and assuming they will evolve from 9 (10) to 15 long haul planes.

Cheers,
Danny
Bamako is politically unsure.

In terms of operational costs, I believe any increase in US-Africa flights by UA/SN would more logically be operated by UA on the US - BRU legs and by SN on the BRU - Africa legs.
De-coupling of triangular flights is probably the way to go for SN's Afi flights.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Boavida wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:33
Miqvell wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 17:21 Not 100% related to 2024, but Spohr revealed some very interesting insight into SN's future :

LUFTHANSA IS PLANNING A NEW MAJOR PROJECT WITH UNITED

Lufthansa is involving Brussels Airlines in a new cooperation with United Airlines: Teams in Frankfurt, Chicago and Brussels are working on joint connecting connections from the USA to Africa. Lufthansa boss Carsten Spohr is promising investors a "major project" at the company’s Brussels hub. Lufthansa wants to develop Brussels into a hub for African connections to and from the United States. According to CEO Carsten Spohr, Lufthansa is seeking an agreement with United Airlines for joint "Africa flights via Brussels". "This is a major project with United that we expect a lot from" said Spohr in Frankfurt last week. Lufthansa also wants to push the reconstruction of the short-haul network at Brussels Airlines. Spohr announced that the group had "overshot the target" when it came to reducing capacity in Brussels and would increase feeder traffic for the profitable African lines again.

True Global Hub

Brussels Airlines does not want to comment on the project in detail. "It is no secret that we are pursuing ambitious growth plans for our long-haul network" said a spokesman. The Belgian Lufthansa subsidiary refers to existing alliances with United and Air Canada in North Atlantic traffic. These "transatlantic capacities" have the potential to "make Brussels a true global hub for passengers traveling to and from Africa" said the spokesman. Brussels Airlines will soon have ten Airbus A330s available again for the intercontinental network. The airline wants to utilize its long-haul fleet more with African routes than before the crisis and is heading to 18 destinations on the continent.

Source : aero.de
Exciting news. I really hope they'll finally start flying to South Africa (JNB, CPT). You can't be the 'African expert' airline, without flying to the most important tourist destination in Africa.
I really hope they won't fly to Tambo. I already did the math once in the Air Belgium thread , it's not sustainable. At least not for an A330.

Many have tried. Many have failed this route. Sabena, Sobelair, Delsey (?), Air Belgium,... All have tried the JNB route and it never ends well. (hell, I even wanna say "TOLD YOU SO" with Air Belgium , but I won't because I really wanted Air Belgium to succeed on the BRU-JNB route and prove me wrong)

Let Mother Lufty/Swiss have this route.

I see more potential with CPT tbh. But again: Lufthansa, Edelweiss and Austria already fly this route + United has a direct flight from Newark.

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Any update on the pilot strike? When and how will SN inform customers on the status and eventually on reroutings?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

When: The day before, they evaluate what are the workforce for the next day and how to use the most of it the most productive way. Then decided wich flights need to be cancelled and wich are not.

How: no idea

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

There is a flight of Brussels Airlines arriving tonight with an A320 NEO is this a test flight?

fcw

Post by fcw »

lumumba wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:03 There is a flight of Brussels Airlines arriving tonight with an A320 NEO is this a test flight?
No, why do you think so?
SBC is operating Bamako with a fueling stop in Las Palmas.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

fcw wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:24
lumumba wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:03 There is a flight of Brussels Airlines arriving tonight with an A320 NEO is this a test flight?
No, why do you think so?
SBC is operating Bamako with a fueling stop in Las Palmas.
It's not a commercial flight the commercial flight sn 359 is arriving tonight also at 19h10...
Brussels airlines is not flying to Bamako!?
Is Brussels Airlines using its A320 to Africa!?