Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2022

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2022

Post by Passenger »

Last edited by luchtzak on 02 Jun 2022, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

If they go on strike it's not to harass passagers but because there is no other choice!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 08:41 If they go on strike it's not to harass passagers but because there is no other choice!
Nobody forced them to go on strike.
The 'other choice' was: to accept that their company still is in financial trouble.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Passenger wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 11:34
lumumba wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 08:41 If they go on strike it's not to harass passagers but because there is no other choice!
The 'other choice' was: to accept that their company still is in financial trouble.
You should know that in many parts of the world we are almost a the same capacity that before the covid, but there is a huge staff shortage.

Many people (who love their job) done huge sacrifice to save their company during the pandemic (early retirement, furlough, partial unemployment, lower wages). It's normal now that they want to have working conditions adapted to the current air trafic trend.

Long queues, cancelations, flights delayed, brawl between staff and passengers. It's clearly not good conditions to work

You have probably more chances that your flight is canceled by the airline long weeks before due to lack of staff that due to a staff strike
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Sure nobody forced them to go on strike if they do it's because I repeat they have no choice!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Aviapartner is actively hiring new staff, since many months.

https://www.aviapartnerjobs.be/

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

If it's like in France, there are probably not the only company to hire people. So lots of competition.

Many people with sometimes huge experience in aviation who have left aviation have probably found a new job in others sectors. They don't want to work again as pilots, ATC, or ground staff.

Working conditions are probably not the same that before the covid (wages, etc...).

It takes times to train people. Many people think that It's easy to become security agent or loadmaster.

For a loadmaster 4 weeks in training center and 4 weeks for a training period at the airport. For Check in Agent 4 weeks in training center and 4 weeks for a training period at the airport before to start to work.

So if they start to hire people from March-April, it's clearly too short to get sufficient staff for the summer season (you have to add people that will fail during their training). And don't forget it can take several weeks to get your airport pass.

At Paris Airport we are also understaffed. We need 4 000 people for Roissy and for Orly, for summer season according Paris Aeroport.

https://www.capital.fr/economie-politiq ... en-1437654 (French)
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

luchtzak wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 17:44 Aviapartner is actively hiring new staff, since many months.

Visibly, only one side of the country is allowed to apply :lol: it reminds me the good "old days" of Belgavia. :shock: aviation doesn't widen the spirit of everyone. So be it.

:!: Speaking of strike, it seems the "heat is on" again at Brussels Airlines, and a 3-days long strike is rumored for end of June.

All these airlines and airport services providers sacked many employees in total disrespect and now they cry to hire them again... funny isn't it ? :lol:

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Darjeeling wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 11:19
luchtzak wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 17:44 Aviapartner is actively hiring new staff, since many months.

Visibly, only one side of the country is allowed to apply :lol: it reminds me the good "old days" of Belgavia. :shock: aviation doesn't widen the spirit of everyone. So be it.
What do you mean?

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

I don't think you realize what's going on in the sector right now. It is quite shocking to read this. Seems like you've missed quite some stuff in the past few years/months.

Almost every actor in the safety of a flight is in trouble.
Loadmasters, check-in agents, airport security staff, cabin crew, pilots, ATCO's. Everybody.

Airports & airlines kicked everybody out during COVID, or reduced both financial & social conditions for those who were lucky enough to keep their jobs.
Those employers are now having a terribly hard time to hire extra workforce. Those who have been kicked out don't want to come back, and many jobs are no longer attractive. Even with languages & other skills required being reduced.

This has nothing to do with the company being in financial trouble, it has to do with safety that is definitely being jeopardized. This is simply not acceptable in aviation. Someone has to ring the alarm bell, and that goes through the unions and/or other social representatives.

You, as a passenger, need to be sure you are safe in the aircraft you'll fly on.
Everybody working around or in an aircraft has its role to play, one cannot accept the current situation to last (too) long.

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

They can't even find people who speak FR+EN or NL+EN...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

:!: Speaking of strike, it seems the "heat is on" again at Brussels Airlines, and a 3-days long strike is rumored for end of June.

All these airlines and airport services providers sacked many employees in total disrespect and now they cry to hire them again... funny isn't it ? :lol:
Dutch speaking myself, so not an issue for me, but strange you (apparantly?) can't switch to French? :shock: :?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Conti764 wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 10:02

Dutch speaking myself, so not an issue for me, but strange you (apparently?) can't switch to French? :shock: :?
And if Aviapartner cannot find enough Dutch-speaking employees, will they accept somebody who doesn't speak their official language, or will they stick to their official policy? Strange, as you say, at the national airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Why do french speaking Belgians always have the idea others have to adjust to their language?
Is it that hard to bring up the respect of learning and speaking dutch??

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

flightlover wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:00 Why do french speaking Belgians always have the idea others have to adjust to their language?
Why does Brussels Airport use the city of Brussels for its branding and marketing then ? As far as I know, only 5 to 7 percents of Brussels Area Region inhabitants are Flemish. :?:
Moreover, we are in 2022, the fact that Aviapartner's website is only in Dutch reflects well the narrow-minded mentality it always used to have. :roll:

All in all, ahead of a busy summer, a good bunch of strikes is well deserved for some of the Brussels Airport companies (Brussels Airlines included). They treated people (employees) like under-humans, the payback is on the way. At least, passengers were warned well in advance.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Darjeeling wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:49
All in all, ahead of a busy summer, a good bunch of strikes is well deserved for some of the Brussels Airport companies (Brussels Airlines included). They treated people (employees) like under-humans, the payback is on the way. At least, passengers were warned well in advance.
Avoid Brussels Airlines this summer unfortunately! And so Brussels Airport. To avoid uncertainty and plan ahead. As far as I'm concerned it will be CDG where nothing special is scheduled for the time being and AF...from ZYR it's really very very practical!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Darjeeling wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:49 Moreover, we are in 2022, the fact that Aviapartner's website is only in Dutch reflects well the narrow-minded mentality it always used to have.
Nonsense. Website Aviapartner.be is in English only:
https://www.aviapartner.aero/

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

flightlover wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:00 Why do french speaking Belgians always have the idea others have to adjust to their language?
In order to be able to speak something else than English with young flemish people? Because most of them don’t speak a word of French either.

But yes, that kindly said, I believe things would be much easier if modern countries could learn all its national languages to kids…

… and therefore avoid hateful messages like yours.

PttU

Post by PttU »

nordikcam wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 21:08
Darjeeling wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 20:49
Avoid Brussels Airlines this summer unfortunately! And so Brussels Airport. To avoid uncertainty and plan ahead. As far as I'm concerned it will be CDG where nothing special is scheduled for the time being and AF...from ZYR it's really very very practical!
"passengers were warned well in advance"? Plan ahead? I bought tickets begin April...
I planned a trip to BER (July 1st - 4th). I try to avoid Ryanair as much as possible because they're known to have little respect to their crew (and passengers), so I booked tickets with Brussels Airlines. I understand everyone working at understaffed positions and agree they have their right to complain, but I also don't like my small break being jeopardized either :/
No flights from EIN, ANR or even CRL either, so any suggestions how to handle this? Just keep my fingers crossed the management can find something to offer to the overworked crew?