Sabena DC-4 photo enquiry

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SkyHigh

Sabena DC-4 photo enquiry

Post by SkyHigh »

Hello everybody,

My name is Theodore Gianna, and I am an independent aviation writer and have written the histories of Braniff and, just recently, the history of Swissair.

Now, I have started writing my third book, the history of Sabena. I have a minor issue that I need to clear up, and I hope someone here could help me.

In May 2021, I purchased a B&W photo of a Sabena DC-4 from eBay. The seller was from the UK and he told me he purchased the photo a long time ago from an aviation marketplace in the UK. He told me there should be no problem with using the photo for any aviation book. The DC-4 photo is of Sabena OO-SBO.

Today, I checked the internet and Google stated that the photo is in no known online database.

However, I then found a Belgian guy's aviation site named "SkyStef's aviation page", with the same photo, and he stated that the photo was not his but from the "Christian Ueten collection".

Now I know collection means that Mr. Ueten probably purchased the photo from some seller, as I did.

I really need to put the DC-4 photo in my book, as I have only 2 photos of Sabena's DC-4s. The other photo belongs to a photographer friend, who allowed me to use it for the book.

My question is, would there be any issues if I used the DC-4 photo in my book and credit it as "From the author's collection"?
I don't think there should be any issues. If anyone here could give me some advice, I would appreciate it.

I have attached the original B&W photo and the photo of the DC-4 which I colorized myself, and want to place in the book.

Thanks

Theodore (Theo) Gianna
Attachments
Sabena DC-4 OO-SBO.jpg
Colorized Sabena DC-4-.jpg

SkyHigh

Re: Sabena DC-4 photo enquiry

Post by SkyHigh »

Hi Admin.,

Please delete this topic. At the same time I wrote to you, I also wrote an email to Mr. Ueten via Jetphotos.com, where Mr. Ueten is a member.
Mr. Ueten had worked for Sabena in the past. He said that the photo was from Sabena and was distributed to the press and to commercial relations by the airline, so I can credit Sabena for the photo.
Thanks.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

No need to delete the topic. It is an interesting testimony of Sabena's legacy. Unless you insist to have it deleted?
André
ex Sabena #26567

SkyHigh

Post by SkyHigh »

That's fine with me. You can leave it as is.

Thanks