BRU Summer 2023: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

b720

Re: BRU Summer 2023: news, new routes, airlines

Post by b720 »

crew1990 wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 15:05
fcw wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 13:11
Lux_avi wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 10:13

Seriously... how old are you? Nobody is bashing SN here, and I didn't read frustration anywhere.
Crew 1990- you are clearly looking at it from an emotional point of view, a point of view which is seldomly used by managers, this probably explains why you don’t understand the decision making process.
If you have more business opportunities than resources choices need to be made, whether you like it or not. Loco’s are continuously monitoring and ranking opportunities. The bean counters decide to open, close, shrink and grow routes in the blink of an eye. This has nothing to do with bashing or failing it’s just replacing the least profitable option by a more profitable one to maximise profit.
A fail would be buying aircraft to open a base, close the base and park the aircraft in the desert.
I do unsertand your point and yes you are right when you say that Ryanair and Easyjet leave BRU because they can make more money elsewhere. Still this is for me a failure because a couple of years ago Ryanair decided to open a base in BRU thinking they could do more money here as well, and at the end it didn't worked as they planed. Opening a base, investing in operational equipment, advertising new routes etc etc has a cost too.

If I take the same anology that you did with someone going to work for another company because he get beter paid and beter working condion, it's not applicable here because in the case of Ryanair, the analogy would be a guy went for another job thinking he would get a beter salary and working condition but finally realised that it wasn't the case and the energy and ressources he puted in this has just vanished.

It's not about beeing emotional, Ryanair and Easyjet are a success story, nobody can deny it, but it's a big failure in Brussels. I think it's pointless to keep arguing on this as we just have different point of view. I do undertand your point, I just don't share it.
Nothing against SN but easyJet and Ryanair are in the business to make money. SN has been operating @ BRU and been loosing money for most of (if not all) the 20 yrs it’s has existed.

fcw

Post by fcw »

crew1990 wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 15:05

I do unsertand your point and yes you are right when you say that Ryanair and Easyjet leave BRU because they can make more money elsewhere. Still this is for me a failure because a couple of years ago Ryanair decided to open a base in BRU thinking they could do more money here as well, and at the end it didn't worked as they planed. Opening a base, investing in operational equipment, advertising new routes etc etc has a cost too.

If I take the same anology that you did with someone going to work for another company because he get beter paid and beter working condion, it's not applicable here because in the case of Ryanair, the analogy would be a guy went for another job thinking he would get a beter salary and working condition but finally realised that it wasn't the case and the energy and ressources he puted in this has just vanished.

It's not about beeing emotional, Ryanair and Easyjet are a success story, nobody can deny it, but it's a big failure in Brussels. I think it's pointless to keep arguing on this as we just have different point of view. I do undertand your point, I just don't share it.
Let’s indeed agree to disagree.
One last point though: being profitable enough today doesn’t mean tomorrow another more profitable opportunity can’t arise. Just like the guy who doubled his salary, nothing prevents him to look for an even better job. It’s not a loss of energy and resources, it’s called ambition.
Ryanair and easyJet closed and reopened routes and bases in the past, it’s all about return on investment and that return is something which changes on a daily basis. Being able to adapt their business accordingly is a strength not a failure. I don’t have a crystal ball, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see more orange, blue and yellow again in BRU in a couple of years.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Don't look only at BRU, but also over the border, they failed at FRA too.

Many years there was a discussion here that there were too much LCC at BRU. Now we see the opposite discussion.

But again, they don't left the airport, they just closed their base and fly now with other based aircrafts to BRU. Under the line is not much difference.

Much more harm would be if SN collapsed. Than you lose also your partner airlines who are flying to BRU bcs of them.

With LCC is always the same, they come and go. They always thread leaving the airport if they don't get what they want. We'll, not always they can have it

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines to resume Brussels-Vilnius route for the summer season. The route was suspended in winter 2022-2023 due to low demand.
André
ex Sabena #26567

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Finally some news on longhaul front - Hainan will increase PEK-BRU-PEK to daily and switch to A330-300 instead of 787-9

Source: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230221-hueu

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Royal Air Maroc to increase frequencies Tangier-Brussels to 7 weekly up from 1 weekly 24 of June to 3 of September Boeing 737-800 operating.

Source: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230221-attng

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Vueling will launch flights to Seville with 3 weekly flights operated on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from May 1.
This makes SVQ a new destination on BRU's network.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Miqvell wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 14:14 Vueling will launch flights to Seville with 3 weekly flights operated on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday from May 1.
This makes SVQ a new destination on BRU's network.
SN served it for a while, it's a shame they don't offer it anymore since a few years.

brabel

Post by brabel »

Transavia will also fly to Sevilla starting from 29 June. Also Malaga and Santorini are added from the same date.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

brabel wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 17:07 Transavia will also fly to Sevilla starting from 29 June. Also Malaga and Santorini are added from the same date.
Holland companies seems to like to start flying from BRU. After increasing of Corendon, now also Transavia.

(taking with a smile of course 😊)

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Atlantis wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 21:05
brabel wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 17:07 Transavia will also fly to Sevilla starting from 29 June. Also Malaga and Santorini are added from the same date.
Holland companies seems to like to start flying from BRU. After increasing of Corendon, now also Transavia.

(taking with a smile of course 😊)
Sounds like the 19th century hahaha.

But yes, otherwise it is a great alternative to Ryanair as well because usually when I fly with them, it is not the same feeling as flying with Wizz or easyJet or even Transavia.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

New airline & new destination: Dan Air (Romania) is reportedly adding its first-ever scheduled flights, including Brasov - Brussels, as of mid-June. To be operated with A320 on Wednesdays.

Source : https://boardingpass.ro/dan-air-va-oper ... unie-2023/

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

[yts][/yts]
Miqvell wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 18:09 New airline & new destination: Dan Air (Romania) is reportedly adding its first-ever scheduled flights, including Brasov - Brussels, as of mid-June. To be operated with A320 on Wednesdays.

Source : https://boardingpass.ro/dan-air-va-oper ... unie-2023/
Their expansion continues : Bucharest - Brussels will also be added from mid-June, with A320, on Wednesdays.

Source : https://boardingpass.ro/dan-air-romania ... unie-2023/

brabel

Post by brabel »

According to flightlevel.be, the Toronto-flight from Air Canada will only last 3 months, from Aug to Oct, to be canceled during winter season.
I think SN should have kept on flying it.

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

brabel wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 17:14 According to flightlevel.be, the Toronto-flight from Air Canada will only last 3 months, from Aug to Oct, to be canceled during winter season.
I read in ex-yuaviation forum today in the comments sections so please take it with a massive grain of salt but Canada is still experiencing shortages info staff in the aviation sector so it could be that. Maybe there aren’t enough Brussels-Toronto connections but I agree there should be a flight at least 4 weekly year round.

fcw

Post by fcw »

theeuropean wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 21:29
brabel wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 17:14 According to flightlevel.be, the Toronto-flight from Air Canada will only last 3 months, from Aug to Oct, to be canceled during winter season.
I read in ex-yuaviation forum today in the comments sections so please take it with a massive grain of salt but Canada is still experiencing shortages info staff in the aviation sector so it could be that. Maybe there aren’t enough Brussels-Toronto connections but I agree there should be a flight at least 4 weekly year round.
With all respect, but you start to sound like a broken record guys!
Every other day you whine about expansion and new routes for which there’s clearly no business case. Some of the routes you mention have been abandoned because they were loss making, others have a too high overhead cost or are only marginally profitable during peak season, so airlines know the will loose money be operating them year round.

longwings

Post by longwings »

fcw wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 15:59
Every other day you whine about expansion and new routes for which there’s clearly no business case. Some of the routes you mention have been abandoned because they were loss making, others have a too high overhead cost or are only marginally profitable during peak season, so airlines know the will loose money be operating them year round.
#1 A route doesn't have to be loss-making to be suspended; it only has to be less profitable than the next un(der)served market.
#2 Two things can be true. I am in Montreal often enough to confirm Air Canada and the airport operator both still experience staff shortages. Also October is when snowbird flights start; they are very seasonal, and also very profitable, with every aircraft type with the range thrown at them (snowbird = Canadian escaping the cold winter to Southern US or Caribbean).

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

longwings wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 03:43

#1 A route doesn't have to be loss-making to be suspended; it only has to be less profitable than the next un(der)served market.
#2 Two things can be true. I am in Montreal often enough to confirm Air Canada and the airport operator both still experience staff shortages. Also October is when snowbird flights start; they are very seasonal, and also very profitable, with every aircraft type with the range thrown at them (snowbird = Canadian escaping the cold winter to Southern US or Caribbean).
Indeed, staff shortages are still a major problme for airports and airlines.

LH has to cancel 30.000 flights and AA about 50.000 in Summer season.

On the other hand, the fact that AC announces new Montreal-Amsterdam flights (5x weekly) and at about the same time they announce that Toronto-Brussels will only be 3x weekly and seasonal. That says a lot about how strong AMS remains versus BRU.
Even Star Alliance partners prefer to fly to an airport where they have no *Aliance partner ...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

JOVAN2 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:05

On the other hand, the fact that AC announces new Montreal-Amsterdam flights (5x weekly) and at about the same time they announce that Toronto-Brussels will only be 3x weekly and seasonal. That says a lot about how strong AMS remains versus BRU.
Even Star Alliance partners prefer to fly to an airport where they have no *Aliance partner ...
I think that for the AC YYZ BRU flight you have to prime the pump ... When AC started YUL BRU there were only 4 flights / week and today it is a daily flight + the 3 seasonal flights of Air Transat...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

JOVAN2 wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:05
longwings wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 03:43

Hi Jovan2,

It's not fully correct what you wrote here. The new route of AC from Toronto to Brussels will be 5 times a week and seasonal.

For Amsterdam will be exactly the same, 5 times a week but from Montreal and also seasonal, not year round. Both routes with the B788.