Your organisations travel policy

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DannyVDB

Your organisations travel policy

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Recently my organisation changed policies regarding air travel which, in general, I support.

As a general rule my employer wants to reduce the use of air travel (of course if you have meetings in China, you can't go on foot, or even are not able to take the train :D ).

For short distances you will get automatically options/offers by our travel office(s) by train. Paris, Frankfurt, London ... are by default by train. But even for longer distances (up to 7h train travel) you will first receive an offer by train. Then you can 'argue' that this is not possible for whatever reason.

Also, the departments/units/divisions/... must now pay a sum for each of its staff members as a kind of internal tax system for the impact you create on the environment. I, but also my colleagues traveled a lot last year (I had 72 flights). My division has to pay 750€ in the 'basket' of the organisation :shock: ... OK for me, but that makes us more expensive of course (e.g. when you tender) ...

I am not against, but ...

What do your think about this? Any similar developments in your organisation?

Cheers,
Danny

ezis_bis

Re: Your organisations travel policy

Post by ezis_bis »

I have just been sent to Rennes, which is about 5h of train.
Apart from needing to change stations in Paris, this is pretty comfortable.
I have to admit I like to travel by train. Out of curiosity I checked how it would be to fly there, and honestly it seemed more like a hassle (I was even offered a flight with a 10h layover in Amsterdam).

So, I guess it depends on the time it takes

From mid-sized places to mid-sized places under a certain distance, I'm sure train is the fastest option

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

For Rennes, I would personally never take a flight ...

But what for e.g. going to Vienna: flight or night train? What would you do. The train can also be quite expensive ...

D

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

I also wondered about Vienna
I think I'd give it a try, check how comfortable it is.
Timing wise this should work fine, just too bad it is not daily.

In a few weeks I need to go to Berlin, and I also checked the train. I was rather surprised about the time it took by train, so instead I still opted for Brussels Airlines.
If there would have been a night train, I think I might have tried it.

BTW, travel policy is that I get three proposals. And usually they're very expensive (we have a fixed contract with a fixed travel agency), so counter proposals are possible. Especially when I find cheaper myself :)
They're not very used to booking trains (office is in Tallinn, there's like 1 weekly train to Saint-Petersburg for international travel, trains are almost never considered), but they got the hang of it ever since I needed to go to The Hague or Amsterdam