C130 video T.O. and landing on Carrier

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Vonsmalhausen

C130 video T.O. and landing on Carrier

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

found this amazing video of a C130F beïng used for tests by the US Navy involving landings and take-off's on carriers, here on the Forrestal. 8O
Take-Off http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/ASM/ ... rcOff.html
Landing http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/ASM/ ... ercOn.html
:wow:

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

indeed :wow:

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Now that's what I call a spot landing!!!

moons

Post by moons »

Never thought it was possible! 8O

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

moons wrote:Never thought it was possible! 8O
me neighter :confused:
and i never would try it :P :frantic:

Rago

Post by Rago »

Wow, would love to be on the jump-seat!!!
:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

That's amazing. He did a good job, on CL, etc..

I'm suspicious though, could this be a fake? The wingspan seems to large to clear the Island. I may be wrong.
:?:

I'm a TAILHOOK member, Centurion, most in the F2H-3, VF-152, USS WASP, circa 1956 WESTPAC cruise.

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/yabbattach/Ed_5.jpg

That's me as a kid, 48 years ago.

Andries

Post by Andries »

Yep, they US Navy did some tests with C-130 on aircraft carriers. The could land and takeoff from these ships without any problems as long as they were empty ... as soon as they took a significant payload with them, it just became to risky ...

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

pettyfog

Post by pettyfog »

I'm sort of surprised noone from the adventure has replied.

tail number 149798, assigned Marines as troop carrier/tanker was reassigned to Patuxent NATC for this test which occurred in aug/sept 1963....Lots of STOL happening there in August

It was sched for a major and looked like crap but that was evidently so the write-off would be less if something went wrong

I was an enlisted AT at VR-1 at that time and everyone in the squadron tried like hell to get on that plane for the test.

Pilots were VR-1, and as i recall were formerly VX-6 (Antarctic support).

Mission to determine feasibility of refueling airborne tankers on carriers mid-ocean during fighter/attack cross-atlantic movement.

Tankers would station mid-ocean and after dispensing would land on carrier and take on enough fuel to get them back landside.

Have to assume this was seen as too risky under any but optimum conditions... in fact, if i'm thinking right, just feeding one less fighter would leave enough to get back.

Note that this was used on TV program JAG as a plot hook ( that Harm, He can fly ANYTHING, ANYWHERE!) and they showed the landing video and a brief text reference to the test at end of program.

BTW: Word was that wing/island clearance was 12 feet.....Cake!

Gotta love Bellisario!

Other accounts say it was october/november.. i may be wrong; events in November that year telescoped things but I was sure it was really warm when I watched the STOL practices

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Petty - Great shots. thanks.

Where was VR-1?

My last tour was in VR-7A, Tachikawa AFB, flying the R7V, aka C-121.

pettyfog

Post by pettyfog »

ah... the 121 tailwagger!

VR-1 was at PaxRiv, Had 3 C118 (2 VIP planes), about 6 141 (Convair 340) and 3 C 130F

I flew Aircrew as Radioman ( remember when they had those?) and PT spotter. And maintained the HF SSB Radios (ARC 72)

Flew into Gitmo during the missile crisis and 2 missions to Haiti / DR doing hurricane relief

I loved the 130... we had a couple hotshot pilots who loved max perf TO it's like a dragster when empty, and knew how to slip and land from 1000 ft

Anecdote: PT flight on a Saturday.. couple fighters in line in front of us, tower tells pilots they had a Boy Scout troop as guests and could they put on a little T.O. show... well the jocks ignored them and climbed at min... so our guy said "Never mind, tower... we'll give 'em something" and did a brakes-lock start and rotated directly into a fighter like climb. def MAX-PERF!!!
Tower responds something in the vein of "Gawd! that was awesome!" and you could hear the little beggars cheering behind him!

But the greatest part was being in crew cabin at sunset looking out those picture windows at high mounded cumulus.. and at one time flying between two thunderheads off Miami that actually had an occasional lightning bolt flashing between them.

"why, h'it makes ya wanna write a pome!"
- - - - - - -
1 downside! @#$%$@#$# bleed-air noise!

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Interesting. VR-7A was a sort of graveyard for officers. Like VD in your health record, maybe worse.

I was USNR on an extended tour and told BuPers this was my last. Returned to TWA 1966. Retired as LCDR.

Flew a lot of Airevac into VN to Clarke AFB Hospital in the PI. Had full medical crew and facilities aboard. Carrying freight, we used to carry Agent Orange in the same aircraft, but not at the same time.

Took one bad lightning hit MidAtlantic in ice one night when flying Aer Lingus. This was preceeded by static buildup. Suddenly "BOOOOMM!"

Lost all electrical, and a weird ball of some sort of multi-colored orange-greenish crackling ball passed from front to rear, right thru the closed cockpit door. Never saw anything like it in my life, but later I heard of such things.

PAX were mostly RC Clergy.

Looked back in the cabin after the FE re-established the busses, got the AP back, etc..

The aisle was crammed full of Priests and Nuns on their knees doing the Rosary.

One of those times I wish I had a camera!

Priceless.