Etihad to buy Boeing 777-300ERs

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bruspotter

Etihad to buy Boeing 777-300ERs

Post by Bruspotter »

Hellow,all fellow spotters!!!

Recently Ethidad airways has decided to buy
5 B777-300ER's, this is already confirmed by
'Reuters' -press company.

Great!!! Badly enough we will probely not see them so
fast(at LHR,....).

:D

[title changed by sn26567 - see forum rules]

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

For your information it's Etihad, not Ethihad.

And etihad is Arab for 'united' ;)

C_J

Post by C_J »

I think it's strange: where do they get all the money? From their goverment? Local or International investors? There are not a lot of airlines who expand that fast and even buy the Airbus A380. But I'm happy they bought so many airbus-planes of course.

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

C_J,

Don't forget the money (oil) comes out the soil there.

Greetz,

Dave

themole

Post by themole »

C_J wrote:I think it's strange: where do they get all the money? From their goverment? Local or International investors? There are not a lot of airlines who expand that fast and even buy the Airbus A380. But I'm happy they bought so many airbus-planes of course.
How about an excellent management and a good business plan for a change?
liebensd wrote:Don't forget the money (oil) comes out the soil there.
This is absolute nonsense, see the quote above. It is really laughable to see that a company like SN Brussels Airlines gets all the credit of the world, whilst other airlines are always questioned. Just take a look at the methods who were used to finance SN Brussels Airlines, and you know what I mean.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi themole.
And what are the methods because I don't see somthing wrong!
It's private money from private company's.
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Avro

Post by Avro »

If I'm not mistaken one of the poeple behind Ethiad is a Sheik in the UAE.

Anyway, I find it great that this airline growths so fast and hope that they will soon fly to BRU :)

I have one question though; on their website they claim to be the national airline of the UAE but wasn't Emirates the national airline of the UAE ????

Chris

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I have one question though; on their website they claim to be the national airline of the UAE but wasn't Emirates the national airline of the UAE ????
Etihad is operating from Abu Dhabi (AUH), which is the capital of the UAE.

Emirates is operating from Dubai DXB.

That's the reason why EY is the national airline of the UAE, even while EK is much bigger.

For info: Etihad is the only correct name for the airline (a lot of wrong names are circulating).

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the explanation Fred

Chris

SN30952

Where the money is coming from?

Post by SN30952 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Etihad is operating from Abu Dhabi (AUH), which is the capital of the UAE. Emirates is operating from Dubai DXB.
That's the reason why EY is the national airline of the UAE, even while EK.
Frederic
Indeed Frederic this country is a very special country, the name is "Al Imarat al Arabiyah al Muttahidah". There are 7 emirates (imarat, singular - imarah); Abu Zaby (Abu Dhabi), 'Ajman, Al Fujayrah, Ash Shariqah (Sharjah), Dubayy (Dubai), Ra's al Khaymah, Umm al Qaywayn.

Their inhabitants are called "Emirati" and they are a minority in their own country: only 19%, rpt 19% of the population (totalling 3.44 million) is Emirati!!! 8O Who btw, have nothing to say: elections: none. The unicameral Federal National Council or Majlis al-Ittihad al-Watani (40 seats; members appointed by the rulers of the constituent states to serve two-year terms)

So, Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8%....
Something I do not understand is that 96% Muslim (Shi'a 16%), unless all the South Asians (50%) are Pakistani, Indonesians and Malaisians ( 19+23+50= 92). Christian, Hindu, and other account for 4%.
Labor force: 2.1 million, 73.9% of the population in the 15-64 age group is non-national (2001). The sex ratio for the population between 15-64 years: 1.61 male(s)/female. This shows how the foreign labor lives...

The chief of state is: President ZAYID bin Sultan Al Nuhayyan (since 2 December 1971), ruler of Abu Zaby (Abu Dhabi) (since 6 August 1966) and Vice President MAKTUM bin Rashid al-Maktum (since 8 October 1990), ruler of Dubayy (Dubai).

The president and vice president are elected by the FSC (a group of seven electors, the Federal Supreme Council) for five-year terms; election last held 2 December 2001 (next to be held 2006)

Its wealth is based on oil and gas output (about 33% of GDP), and the fortunes of the economy fluctuate with the prices of those commodities.

There are 35 airports: - with paved runways: total: 21
over 3,047 m: 8 --- 2,438 to 3,047 m: 3 --- 914 to 1,523 m: 3 --- under 914 m: 3 (2003 est.) --- 1,524 to 2,437 m: 4
The UAE is a drug transshipment point for traffickers given its proximity to southwest Asian drug producing countries.
Tthe UAE's position as a major financial center makes it vulnerable to money laundering; anti-money-laundering controls improving
says the CIA.
So now you know where the money is coming from. (And there must live also a high percantage of gay man... :wink: RE.: 1.61 male(s)/female :twisted:)
And so many runways and airports for only 3.5 mil people? What for?

sn26567

Re: Where the money is coming from?

Post by sn26567 »

SN30952 wrote:So now you know where the money is coming from.
Isn't that a form of the 'excellent management and good business plan' suggested by TheMole? :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

themole

Post by themole »

lumumba wrote: It's private money from private company's.
You must be joking? The whole SN Brussels Airlines funding was a joke as from day one. Just take a look at the shareholder structure of SN Airholding (I) and the way the 278,5 million € was gathered. I even doubt that such a setup is 100% legal. It seems a lot of people looked the other way under political pressure.

Just take a look at for example GIMB or SRIW. Yes they are considered as private institutions, but at the end of the day they are spending the tax payers money. As far as I am concerned, SN Brussels Airlines is a - partially - subsidized airline. Its about time people acknowledge that!

SN30952 wrote:So now you know where the money is coming from.
sn26567 wrote:Isn't that a form of the 'excellent management and good business plan' suggested by TheMole?
Monsieur sn26567 and meneer SN30952,

Insinuating that companies like Etihad Airways are funded with crime money is a serious allegation. You better think twice before posting such nonsense.

Insinuating that companies like Etihad Airways, Emirates, Qatar Airways etc ... are funded with petroleum dollars is even more ridiculous.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has plenty of petroleum dollars to spend, but is Saudi Arabian Airlines a state-of-the-art airline? The same for Kuwait Airways, Gulf Air, Oman Air, etc ... Countries like Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela, etc ... are also loaded with petroleum, but do they have a descent carrier? Even the State of Brunei Darussalam has a poor carrier - namely Royal Brunei Airlines - who certainly doesn't live up to the status of his majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzaddin Waddaulah.

Excellent management and a good business plan makes the difference indeed.

etihad

Post by etihad »

Themole,

Why aren't you sharing with us that Etihad is seeking to start operations to Brussels?

Is this top secret info too (like all the projects you are involved in)?

Or am I just seeing ghosts again, like you mentioned in your email?

regi

Post by regi »

After my first rather good experience with Emirates, I can't wait to use the service of Etihad. But I fear that I will have to drive to Düsseldorf again. Or that the service will be a cargo line to Bierset such as Emirates. I bow my head and cry silently.
Friends who took Gulf Air were quite happy about it (via CDG)
About managment. Aha, very sensitive subject these days! We all know that Emirates uses foreign personnel, even quite some Belgians. Same with Etihad. The pay for stewards is 2000 US$ a month, untaxed. Free appartment in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Several extra's and possebility to work on more flights. Result: a young and willing workforce. The influx from poorer European countries says enough, these days a lot from the Baltic States. Also a lot from South-Africa.
So, if you don't have to pay money for pension funds, maternity leave, holidays, 13th month bonusses, union responsables who get a salary, strikes, you can keep a lot of money in your pocket to buy flashy new airplanes with all the modern goodies. And you don't have to bother about transporting illegal goods as somebody insinuated. And we see that the managment of those new arab airlines is in hands of foreigners who are paid partially by bonusses depending on their performance- read - making profit. Is it that simply? So why don't we do the same?

themole

Post by themole »

etihad wrote:Themole,

Why aren't you sharing with us that Etihad is seeking to start operations to Brussels?

Is this top secret info too (like all the projects you are involved in)?

Or am I just seeing ghosts again, like you mentioned in your email?
Dear Mr. Reuters reporter,

Your quoted post is dated 15 September 2004, and yes, I already knew about the Etihad Airways Brussels operations back then, for obvious reasons. But it is not up to me to leak inside information, and certainly not on a public forum.

I booby-trapped your trustworthiness with the so called 'omertà' information, and you proved yourself a bad loser by trying to intimidate me by publishing that - false - info on these forums.

I only confirm or deny rumours in order to prevent too much speculation around here. That's the only role I am willing to play, please appreciate it instead of always wanting more and more ...

You will be sent a full press kit about the Etihad Airways Brussels operations when the time is right.

Best regards, and my best wishes for the year 2005.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

If anyone knows whether Etihad is coming to Brussels for sure is their cargo partner and they can be contacted on:

Area : Oostend/Belgium
Platinum Air Belgium BVBA
Nieuwepoortsesteenweg 945
8400 Oostend
Belgium
Tel: +32 0 59 315 922
Fax: +32 0 59 315 993
Steve Dando
Email: OST@crystalcargo.ae
Aum Sweet Aum.