12th September Spotting Meet @ BRU

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Comet

12th September Spotting Meet @ BRU

Post by Comet »

Sorry for starting this thread early, but if last year in Mechelen is anything to go on, I might not be able to post on here whilst I am on holiday.

Is there still interest in a spotting meet on 12th September at 25L? I will be there anyway with VC10, is anyone else likely to be going?

We will be at the end of the runway, on the side of the road with that red and white striped fence, along the road from the Jumbo Cafe in Kortenberg. That is the best spot for filming aircraft, last year we started out on the opposite side of the road, where most of the other spotters were, but the aircraft did not look as good on the video from there, so we moved across the road not far from the runway end.

I will be taking video and photos, which will be posted in a thread on the Airliner World forum.

I just hope for good weather and some interesting movements!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

chances are high i'l be at BRU that day :lol:
normaly i'm standing halfway the "Jumbo" and the runway ; end of the runway is mutch to close to take good pics :?
anyway, if i'm there, i'm shure whe'l meet :D

smash

Post by smash »

depending on the weather, it is possible that I willbe there
usually, and if the place is not already taken :roll: , i am and the border of the wheat field and the houses on the right when facing the coming planes....
otherwise, I go on the track passing in the wheat field...

Comet

Post by Comet »

We will be on the left side of the road facing the aircraft, as I said, we tried the right side last year but I didn't like the look of the video from there, the aircraft looked much more dramatic from closer to the runway. That is the kind of spotting I do, I am always on the look out for the best videos and photos I can get. I wish I could transfer my 8mm video I took last year then I could show better what I mean, it is hard to describe.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I'll probably be there the day before to say goodbye to a friend going to INN on OS via VIE.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

Vonsmalhausen - we will look out for you while we are there, I will probably have a Luchtzak tee shirt on, hoping that the weather will be suitable to wear it and not that it will be too cold :(

I am always interested to hear tips for taking good photos and videos, my camera is a compact zoom digital one and my video camera, which will do most of the work, is a Sharp ViewCam, it is very good for filming aircraft, even having to use the zoom lens.

Frederic - I had thought about having the meet on the Saturday, but was reminded of the unfortunate date and the likelihood of stricter security around airports that it would bring. That's why I changed to the Sunday. As far as the trains go there was no advantage to having the meet on Saturday because it is still the same timetable.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Sorry, I thought that the meeting was on a monday!

I'll be at the airport on Sunday...but not where you will be because I can't reach it. Will try to visit though!

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Andries

Post by Andries »

there's a 99% chance I'll be there on the 12th !
Vonsmalhausen wrote: normaly i'm standing halfway the "Jumbo" and the runway ; end of the runway is mutch to close to take good pics :?
Same spot as where I will be :wink:

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

Avro

Post by Avro »

I don't know yet if I'll be there but if I'm here I'll certainly drop by

Chris

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

jan_olieslagers wrote:NB isn't it dangerous to agree on a spotting spot without knowing the runway config?
well, 90% of landing are on 25L/R @ BRU, so chances are high it wil be 25 on 12/9 ( the 02/20 axe has been used more than normal with works on 25R, so i think where on for some 25L spotting the comming weeks :wink: )

Comet

Post by Comet »

I remember that 25L was pretty brilliant last September when we spotted there, I hope it will be as good this year.

I have got extra battery for my video camera, and extra memory cards for my camera, so I hope now that the weather will be good enough for spotting.

We are also hoping to spot at EBOS, but that's not definite yet.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

jan_olieslagers wrote: NB isn't it dangerous to agree on a spotting spot without knowing the runway config?
No because we are all very flexible. If there is another runway in use we can always meet at that particular runway.

Chris

Comet

Post by Comet »

How do you get to the other runways? I am not flexible in that the only one I know I can get to by train is 25L. Is there an easy way of getting to any of the other runways if 25L is not in use? How far in advance will you know which runway is in use?
Louise

smash

Post by smash »

usually, I go by car, I stop close to the detention center, on the N227, I look at the sky, where it s flying, and move to where the sky is the most propitious for good pictures.... ;)

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

Comet wrote:How do you get to the other runways? I am not flexible in that the only one I know I can get to by train is 25L. Is there an easy way of getting to any of the other runways if 25L is not in use? How far in advance will you know which runway is in use?
it's only on the moment you get there that you wil know the config of the rwy's ; even the weatherforecast is no reliable indicator, as i have know rwy's in use whith total oposite winddirection in use :?
here at BRU political considerations about spreading the noise often have priority over safety rules :evil:
on this spottingguide made by Fabke you can see how to get to the different spots http://fafafabe.free.fr/Spottingguides/ ... ru.htm#MAP
i know, it is al for getting there by car ore bike,..... but look on the map and you wil see that by getting there by train at the station of NOSSEGEM ( at the bottem of the map ) you can choose to go to rwy 25L ( spots 2,3 and 4 ) ore rwy 02 ( spots 5, and also possible from 4 ) if 02 is in use just take the first road tho you left, when going in direction of Steenokkerzeel, there's a bike store of Honda on the corner i believe, this road leads to the cimitary, from there you already see the aproach lights of 02 ; i think it must be something like 1 to 1,5 miles from the station.
if 25 is in use it's to spot 3 and further to spot 2 ( the well known 25L spot ) you want to go, it's a bit further, but a good walk does no harm :lol:
you can always go to spot 4, that's the "Sandhill" spot, from there you have a good vieuw on 25L aswel as on 02/20 and the C pier and satelite area ( for taking video, this is maybe the best spot ) this is the closesd to the station aswell.
so you see, from the Nossegem station you have a better choise to go on foot to the different spots than from the Kortenberg station, where you only have 25L as option.
offcourse IF 25L is in use, Kortenberg is the place to get out the train :)
i looked up, the 12' sept. is in a B-week, this means that rwy 25 is in use all day for landings, that is ; if there is no strong N wind that day :wink:
as i sead earlier, works on 25R have increased the use of 02/20 the last weeks, so now they probably use 25 a maximum time the comming weeks to "balance" the noise problem :? so it's almost certain 25L wil be in use.
i hope this helps you a bit :)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for all that info Vonsmalhausen, that really answers my question. It should give so much information on the Brussels Airport Tips link, that is how I managed to find the place from Kortenberg last year, other places are not so well advised when you rely on trains and things.
Louise

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

Vonsmalhausen wrote: ...... i looked up, the 12' sept. is in a B-week, this means that rwy 25 is in use all day for landings, that is ; if there is no strong N wind that day :wink: ...
Vonsmalhausen, what is this about the B-week? Is there a schedule or something for the rwy config? Or is this about the works at bru?

regards
Raymond

Vonsmalhausen

Post by Vonsmalhausen »

SilverJET wrote: Vonsmalhausen, what is this about the B-week? Is there a schedule or something for the rwy config? Or is this about the works at bru?

regards
Raymond
it's all about the "dispersion plan", now they changed Week A in Uneven Week, and Week B in Even Week :roll:
here you can find a pdf file with the rwy configs ( all pure theoretical !! ) and a excel file with the even/uneven week listing :)
http://users.pandora.be/T.F.P/downloads.htm
just click on the buttons "Banenplan BRU" and "Weekindeling"