SN and Hotels

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

SN and Hotels

Post by crew1990 »

I just discover today that Sabena had in the past a few hotels. However the only one I know are the "Mille Collines" in Kigali and the "Hotel Menling" in Kinshasa.

Does Sabena had some other hotel before? What happend with those hotels now, are them closed?

And what about Brussels Airlines and trying to have their own brand of hotels in Africa, in Lubumbashi for example.

Flanker2

Re: SN and Hotels

Post by Flanker2 »

Well, this might interest you:

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/942/Economie/a ... bena.dhtml

Airlines and hotels go well together, but to make it work you need a good concept.
For a small airline like SN it's not really worth it, but for something like LH could work.

SK ventured in the hotel business with its Radisson SAS concept, but eventually they have to divest it.

In the Western world only few people know it but JAL and ANA own quite a few hotels worldwide. ANA works with IHG, which is the holding that owns the Holiday Inn brand. JAL sold its majority ownership in Jalhotels/Nikko to Okura Hotels but is still a minority shareholder.
Last edited by Flanker2 on 01 Aug 2013, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

There was another one in Africa. Camayenne Hotel - Conakry, Guinea.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

crew1990 wrote:I just discover today that Sabena had in the past a few hotels. However the only one I know are the "Mille Collines" in Kigali and the "Hotel Menling" in Kinshasa.
Sabena Hotels NV (subsidiary of Sabena NV in bankruptcy) still ownes the Memling in Kinshasha which is a profitable business (except for the last years but they renovated the place).

They had several hotels in Africa though I'm not sure about the Camayenne Hotel, Wiki states something different about that hotel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Camayenne

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena also had two hotels in Brussels: the Sodehotel in Woluwe (now taken over by Hainan) and the Carrefour de l'Europe near Central Station (now belonging to Accor)
André
ex Sabena #26567

BigJets

Post by BigJets »

List of the Sabena Hotels (not all are sold yet):

Hotel Memling: Kinshasa, D.R.Congo
Hotel des Milles Collines: Kigali, Rwanda
Hotel des Diplomates: Kigali, Rwanda
Hotel Akagera (Akagera Game Lodge): Akagera National Park, Rwanda
Hotel Camayenne: Conakry, Guinee
Hotel Carrefour de L'Europe: Brussels, Belgium