Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

PopUp

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by PopUp »

Please, forgive my ignorance. Which is best ? Vision 2040 or Shift2027 ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

PopUp wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 20:33 Please, forgive my ignorance. Which is best ? Vision 2040 or Shift2027 ?
There has been a press conference by BAC in the past to explain Vision 2040 in detail. I haven't seen anything yet on Shift2027.
André
ex Sabena #26567

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Thanks !

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 23:27
PopUp wrote: 15 Jun 2023, 20:33 Please, forgive my ignorance. Which is best ? Vision 2040 or Shift2027 ?
There has been a press conference by BAC in the past to explain Vision 2040 in detail. I haven't seen anything yet on Shift2027.
Really?? Sorry my arrogance but you are the moderator and going to press conferences and never heart about Shift 2027??? Maybe too much attention for CPK airport??!!

It was announced in May last year after COVID. This is the new structure, 3 pillars, and goal till 2027. After heavy losses and aviation still not on the same level as 2019, it was obvious to re-think. Also eco, sustainable is now much more important.
The CEO also brought it up in a few tv program's.

What remained from the old and trash bin Vision 2040 is Brucargo. There everything is still ongoing like it was in the original plans.

From landside, the business park is still ongoing as we can see the developments lately.
Also the satellite building is not know yet for 100% what to do after the police will have their own new building. They will use the satellite for the next 4 to 5 years.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's not what will be the best of the 2. It's about what is important now and in the very near future.
Nobody could predict the attacks, COVID and the energy crisis. They all changed the landscape and the needs. Look at AMS in which problems they are now.

A fourth runway or longer taxiway for BRU is no longer needed as in meantime the usage and approach to the runways is different or will be different. Smarter to safe costs also at the end

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

Bijna volledig verdwenen ondertussen.
Foto 15-06-2023 20 25 12.jpg
Last edited by luchtzak on 16 Jun 2023, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: English please!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 18:44
It's not what will be the best of the 2. It's about what is important now and in the very near future.
Nobody could predict the attacks, COVID and the energy crisis. They all changed the landscape and the needs. Look at AMS in which problems they are now.

A fourth runway or longer taxiway for BRU is no longer needed as in meantime the usage and approach to the runways is different or will be different. Smarter to safe costs also at the end
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but imho Shift 2027 is far less spectacular then Vision 2040. And indeed, a direct consequence of Covid-19.

Although in aviation things can change rapidly.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

eagleheart wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 22:28 Bijna volledig verdwenen ondertussen.Foto 15-06-2023 20 25 12.jpg
Per respect for everyone could you writte in English... Thank you

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 06:47
Atlantis wrote: 16 Jun 2023, 18:44

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but imho Shift 2027 is far less spectacular then Vision 2040. And indeed, a direct consequence of Covid-19.

Although in aviation things can change rapidly.
Less spectacular indeed, but more realistic. We don't need dreams or bombastic renders to show at the end that it will be much less.

I think this approach is the correct one.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

In other infrastructure linked to the airport, a new Lufthansa training center for crew training with moke-up etc. will be built on the ringlaan.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

crew1990 wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 12:39 In other infrastructure linked to the airport, a new Lufthansa training center for crew training with moke-up etc. will be built on the ringlaan.
That's what I was talking about ;-)

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... s-airport/

PttU

Post by PttU »

PopUp wrote: 12 Jun 2023, 23:03 In all honesty, I do not know what NS's ICE Benelux plans are, but I do not expect a Dutch railway company to have a lot of consideration for BRU Airport. What are the managers of SN and BRU Airport doing, except sitting comfortably in their arm chair. OK, I am exagerating.
In the terms of BRU being connected to international trains, there should have been, imho, à lot of lobbying for an international train running at least thrice a day (not exclusively for the benefit of BRU and SN, but also In the framework of promoting co-existence between air and rail) to have an international train with the following itinerary :
Amsterdam Centraal
Schiphol
Den Haag Holland Spoor
Rotterdam
Antwerpen Centraal
Brussels Airport
Brussels Schuman
Brussels Luxembourg
Luxembourg (Grand Duchy)
Strasbourg
Basle SBB
(No other intermediate stops, except perhaps for Namur and Metz, but preferably not).

Another option could be to have the train start at Den Haag Centraal (not Amsterdam Centraal).

FWIW 😉
Don't mix the current IC Amsterdam-Brussels with your hopes for a long distance fast train. That IC is just an IC, which also stops at Breda, Mechelen,... and has quite a lot of transferring (train-)passengers there.
And why should that train (be it an ICE or IC), why should that stop at Brussels Schuman and Brussels Luxembourg? For your convenience? It totally contradicts your "long distance, fast, less stops"-strategy.

Although I agree a lot of short-haul flights can easily be replaced by trains, I remain sceptical about having the need to stop at BRU. From the point of view of international short haul travellers, I think it makes more sense to connect at Brussels South railways station. More short haul travellers will have a final destination (or departure point) somewhere in Belgium which has a connection to Brussels South Railway station than travellers having Brussels airport as their destination. Just make the hop from Brussels South Railway station to BRU easier, and not every train has to pass by the bottleneck at the platforms under BRU or Diablo.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Since the primary objective of "my" suggested train is to connect the three Dutch major cities with Brussels Airport, let Brussels Airport be the terminal station, if it is technically possible. Schiphol and Antwerp could be skipped too, to make it even faster, but which public or private railway company would go for that option ? I might explain the rest of the itinerary when I have time to do it.
There is some logic behind it, it is not my personal convenience.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

PopUp wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 18:43 Since the primary objective of "my" suggested train is to connect the three Dutch major cities with Brussels Airport, let Brussels Airport be the terminal station, if it is technically possible. Schiphol and Antwerp could be skipped too, to make it even faster, but which public or private railway company would go for that option ? I might explain the rest of the itinerary when I have time to do it.
There is some logic behind it, it is not my personal convenience.
Easy: none.

Such connection could only be done if chartered by f.e. SN or BRU.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

I agree. And if for instance BRU and LH Group chartered such trains, there might be a problem of "railway slots".
But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

fcw

Post by fcw »

Ozzie1969 wrote: 08 Feb 2023, 13:49
I live within walking distance of Brugge train station, where I can take a Flixbus to BRU for €8,99, or a Flibco to BRU for €9,99. With these alternatives, they can raise their Diabolo surcharge tenfold or more, they will never get a penny from me.
Does the Flibco service still exist? Couldn’t find anything on their website.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

fcw wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 21:42
I live within walking distance of Brugge train station, where I can take a Flixbus to BRU for €8,99, or a Flibco to BRU for €9,99. With these alternatives, they can raise their Diabolo surcharge tenfold or more, they will never get a penny from me.
The one to Lille at least does. There is even a bus-shelter (for less than two weeks)...
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

fcw wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 21:42
Flibco seems to have stopped the service from Brugge to Zaventem. Flixbus is still doing it.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

In Autumn, the construction of a new parking tower at the airport is going to start, it will be located across the road from the kiss and ride zone, I don't know if it will be for pax or just for staff.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Underground parking would look so much better than those parking tower.