Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 19:06 In de TIJD newspaper today, the CEO of SN complaints about the political unwillingness to connect BRU with the HST-network.

In times where short haul flights (less than 500km) are under pressure to be cancelled ( forbidden) it is impossible to understand.

We had lots of incompetent Ministers of Mobility in the last 20 years and perhaps the present one beats all the others.

Why is the Thalys and the ICE (and the TGV) not stopping at BRU ?

We have the Diabolo system there which allows to make a stop at BRU underground station to go in any directiona : Amsterdam,Rotterdam, Paris, Lille, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt etc. It would give BRU a central hub and an unique position to serve and attract PAX from the Benelux, Western Germany and Paris area.

The railway system is there, new investments would be minimal.

In present times people, even business travellers would certainly more easily choose for the train and high speed trains if they make it attractive, convenient, regular, punctual etc...

I never understood why this never was realized ?

Even Arnaud Feist CEO of BRU has many times brought the issue up with SNCB and with Political leaders, but without success.

Is there refusal from France ? Holland ???
There has been a time when one Thalys to/from Paris to Brussels Midi continued to Brussels Airport. This add-on has been discontinued by lack of profitability due to the lack of passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 23:57
JOVAN2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 19:06 In de TIJD newspaper today, the CEO of SN complaints about the political unwillingness to connect BRU with the HST-network.

In times where short haul flights (less than 500km) are under pressure to be cancelled ( forbidden) it is impossible to understand.

We had lots of incompetent Ministers of Mobility in the last 20 years and perhaps the present one beats all the others.

We have the Diabolo system there which allows to make a stop at BRU underground station to go in any directiona : Amsterdam,Rotterdam, Paris, Lille, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt etc. It would give BRU a central hub and an unique position to serve and attract PAX from the Benelux, Western Germany and Paris area.

In present times people, even business travellers would certainly more easily choose for the train and high speed trains if they make it attractive, convenient, regular, punctual etc...

Even Arnaud Feist CEO of BRU has many times brought the issue up with SNCB and with Political leaders, but without success.

There has been a time when one Thalys to/from Paris to Brussels Midi continued to Brussels Airport. This add-on has been discontinued by lack of profitability due to the lack of passengers.
This was a poor service they can do better sure from the Netherlands and Germany because it's before Brussels the Beneluxtrain is already doing it I think it works well.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

Conti764 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 23:36

The NMBS holds only 30% of Thalys shares, ICE is German, TGV French.

BRU doesn't have an ideal position to Brussels. Having high speed trains halt at the airport is quite a detour for those company's and only worth the extra time if demand is high enough.
As other trains can stop at BRU, I do not see a reason why Thaliys or ICE could not stop.

Other people, more competent in the matter than you and me

SN-CEO Gerber says in de TIJD of Saturday 10 December 2022. (free translation)

Question : But why don't you want to cancel the short flights like the SN flights between BRU and Paris ??
Answer " We fly short haul only if there is no other choice. And it could be different if we have an HSL connection.
I worked with LH in collaboration with Deusche Bahn, and we could cancel all flights between Frankfurt and Cologne.as soon as ther was aHST connection between both airports.
Travellers from Paris, going to Africa cannot take the HST. They have to transfer with all their bags in Brussels-Midi (station)
It is a shameu that BRU is not seved by the HST. In the heart of Europe we have people in command who say they love trains, but they make it impossible one way or another."

Question Why is it not possible to make the Thalys or ICE stop in Zaventem ,
Answer: " You should ask the Minister (Gilkinet). I do not undersrand at all. It is a matter of costs and priorities. We are ready to talk aabout everything.

And the interview continues: Gerber says SN makes no money on the short haul.
He makes it clear that the French Railways do not like the idea..... I we all collaborate, we coyuld make big progress.

Feist had a similar comment some months ago.

So clearly the political class plays a dirty role in this.

Remember, it was also politicians who wanted, years ago to have aThalys connection between Ostend- Ghent and Paris !!
There were avaerage 6 Passengers a days boarding the Thalys in Ostend. Still they kept the stop there for many years....

PttU

Post by PttU »

That makes sense from an airport and airline point of view, but not from an international travel point of view. Passengers don't have Brussels Airport their starting point or their destination. Whether it's for Belgians going to destinations <500km or people living <500km and travelling to Belgium, it doesn't matter if you connect at (a) Brussels train station or (a) Brussels airport. The amount of destinations served matters. And unfortunately, the 5 tracks at the airport are a handicap for the train, compared to the many more tracks at Brussels South train station...
JOVAN2 wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 11:02
Question : But why don't you want to cancel the short flights like the SN flights between BRU and Paris ??
Answer " We fly short haul only if there is no other choice. And it could be different if we have an HSL connection.
I worked with LH in collaboration with Deusche Bahn, and we could cancel all flights between Frankfurt and Cologne.as soon as ther was aHST connection between both airports.
Travellers from Paris, going to Africa cannot take the HST. They have to transfer with all their bags in Brussels-Midi (station)
It is a shameu that BRU is not seved by the HST. In the heart of Europe we have people in command who say they love trains, but they make it impossible one way or another."

Answer: " You should ask the Minister (Gilkinet). I do not undersrand at all. It is a matter of costs and priorities. We are ready to talk aabout everything.

He makes it clear that the French Railways do not like the idea..... I we all collaborate, we coyuld make big progress.

Remember, it was also politicians who wanted, years ago to have aThalys connection between Ostend- Ghent and Paris !!
There were avaerage 6 Passengers a days boarding the Thalys in Ostend. Still they kept the stop there for many years....
A Thalys (or TGV or ICE) holds about 350-400 passengers, a lot more than a feeder flight, even more than a full A330. So it's easier to fill a feeder flight (and occasionally adding a second one) than it is to fill a train day after day.
And while they may claim they don't make money on that short haul, it is that short haul that makes the long haul make money... So I don't know if it's really all that easy to calculate...

On the other hand: on the international IC-train Amsterdam - Schiphol - BRU, I often see people travelling to BRU, so there IS a market for it. I guess train is competition for a Thalys going to BRU from the north, but it should be a sign there is a market for a similar train coming from the south (Lille/Paris/...)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

.... then why SN has so few long haul routes...?

Really don't understand why they don't invest more in long haul (routes).... especially towards Asia.

VoloperTe

Post by VoloperTe »

Boavida wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 19:11

Really don't understand why they don't invest more in long haul (routes).... especially towards Asia.
Doesn't Lufthansa decide for Brussels Airlines? Purchases of new planes ? Development of medium and long-haul network ?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Boavida wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 19:11

It's not that easy Asia is a very competitive market Brussels Airlines can expand in North America and Africa but don't forget it's a mini hub so I think they close to what they can offer.
On Africa on some lines the market between Brussels and Africa is already big so its sustainable same for North America but it's not Frankfurt or Amsterdam with much more possibilities to transfer.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Conti764 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 23:36

The NMBS holds only 30% of Thalys shares, ICE is German, TGV French.

BRU doesn't have an ideal position to Brussels. Having high speed trains halt at the airport is quite a detour for those company's and only worth the extra time if demand is high enough.
As other trains can stop at BRU, I do not see a reason why Thaliys or ICE could not stop.

Other people, more competent in the matter than you and me

SN-CEO Gerber says in de TIJD of Saturday 10 December 2022. (free translation)

First of all, 'more competent people'... Why are we even discussing this matter on a public forum if we refer to more competent people?

And more competent people... I don't know how much Mr. Gerber knows about the Belgian rail network, but it is clear he is pushing the agenda of his airline. And rightfuly so.

But the intrests of Brussels Airlines or Brussels Airport are not necessarily the intrests of Thalys, let alone ICE. If SN would succeed in sending a couple hundred passengers a day into either Thalys or ICE, they would happily reroute (some of) their trains. High speed lines in Belgium generaly run in North-South and East(-West) direction. Passing through the airport is a detour which apparently neither Thalys, nor ICE are willing to take.

If SN (or BRU, or LH) feels there is a business case for some dedicated trains from BRU towards Germany, the Netherlands or France, they could set up a cooperation with said operators. Ending the lease of some aircraft might be enough to charter one or two trains a day into both directions towards Germany, the Netherlands or France.

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

unknown wrote:
Conti764 wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:09
First of all, 'more competent people'... Why are we even discussing this matter on a public forum if we refer to more competent people?
And more competent people... I don't know how much Mr. Gerber knows about the Belgian rail network, but it is clear he is pushing the agenda of his airline. And rightfuly so.

But the intrests of Brussels Airlines or Brussels Airport are not necessarily the intrests of Thalys, let alone ICE. If SN would succeed in sending a couple hundred passengers a day into either Thalys or ICE, they would happily reroute (some of) their trains. High speed lines in Belgium generaly run in North-South and East(-West) direction. Passing through the airport is a detour which apparently neither Thalys, nor ICE are willing to take.

If SN (or BRU, or LH) feels there is a business case for some dedicated trains from BRU towards Germany, the Netherlands or France, they could set up a cooperation with said operators. Ending the lease of some aircraft might be enough to charter one or two trains a day into both directions towards Germany, the Netherlands or France.
For me, somebody who has been 30 years with Lufthansa and climbed to a top position is competent.

He also worked on the collaboration between Deutsche Bahn, Franfurt Airport and Cologne, so that is a sign of experience and know how. That helps to call him competent.

He has a "Minister of Mobility" in front of him who is more impressed by nighttrains to Prague, Vienna, Venice... He supports these 'projects' with as much as 2mio EURO...

The common interests of Railway companies and Airlines could be to attract more passengers and share the benefits. With about 7 SN-flights a day to Africa, and many SN-PAX coming from Paris area, one could believe there is a common interest.

The BRU Airport Station is a go- thru station, so with eg 6 Thalys trains a day stopping there and then continuing their journey that would good business. In all direction that the HST network brings you.

In France it is already decided to stop all domestic flighta to CDG (and Orly ?) that can be replaced by a TGV.
So even from Bordeaux, Lyon, Nantes etc no more flights to Paris.

Let us hope that the common sense and the competence of some responsible people will prevail here....

Stij

Post by Stij »

The issue might be a bit more complex...

The way the Diabolo has been constructed is that

- every HST that needs to go to the airport station has to cross the slow tracks.
- the station has just 3 platforms and they are already heavily used. I doubt a platform can be blocked for 10 minites to empty / load a full train.
- there are also switches on an even level limiting further the capacity of the station.

The second problem is probably the worst to solve... sobody once wrote here or on another forum that it's possbile to add platforms without to much trouble... I dont know if that's true...'

Maybe the easiest way is to construct railwaystations on the HSL themselves and use the diabolo as a people mover...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

JOVAN2 wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 16:04
Conti764 wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:09

For me, somebody who has been 30 years with Lufthansa and climbed to a top position is competent.

He also worked on the collaboration between Deutsche Bahn, Franfurt Airport and Cologne, so that is a sign of experience and know how. That helps to call him competent.

He has a "Minister of Mobility" in front of him who is more impressed by nighttrains to Prague, Vienna, Venice... He supports these 'projects' with as much as 2mio EURO...

The common interests of Railway companies and Airlines could be to attract more passengers and share the benefits. With about 7 SN-flights a day to Africa, and many SN-PAX coming from Paris area, one could believe there is a common interest.

The BRU Airport Station is a go- thru station, so with eg 6 Thalys trains a day stopping there and then continuing their journey that would good business. In all direction that the HST network brings you.

In France it is already decided to stop all domestic flighta to CDG (and Orly ?) that can be replaced by a TGV.
So even from Bordeaux, Lyon, Nantes etc no more flights to Paris.

Let us hope that the common sense and the competence of some responsible people will prevail here....
Brussels Airport is a through-station, true. But it is not directly on a line already serving HST's... Hence the need for a detour which neither Thalys, nor ICE like very much, even more so since a BRU operation would mean crossing (slow) local lines like Stij said.

If there is a business potential I am sure Thalys or DB will be looking into it, some day.

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

We read in André's report about the Meeting of the Belgian Airline Industry that they also discussed the " need for an intermodal hub with HST connectivity at BRU ".
Would be interesting if André could give more info on what was discussed during this meeting on this subject.

If Gerber (SN) and Feist (BRU) already complained explecitely about this issue in interviews ,in De Tijd and about the political unwillingness to even consider this, then we must really worry about the future of BRU airport and SN.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN2 wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 22:04 We read in André's report about the Meeting of the Belgian Airline Industry that they also discussed the " need for an intermodal hub with HST connectivity at BRU ".
Would be interesting if André could give more info on what was discussed during this meeting on this subject.

If Gerber (SN) and Feist (BRU) already complained explicitly about this issue in interviews, in De Tijd and about the political unwillingness to even consider this, then we must really worry about the future of BRU airport and SN.
You can read in the same report that BATA was represented by Wencke Lemmes-Pireaux, who is a Brussels Airlines manager. I guess she could only relay the opinion of Peter Gerber on the subject: the need for Brussels Airport to be connected to the HST network. It is by repeating this, over and again, that it might eventually enter the brains of our politicians, and especially those of have the power to decide, like the Minister of Mobility. But knowing who is the latter, I have my doubts!
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

In the long term, Gilkinet told in July (or June?) that a new line 36 is expected, with a straight line at Brussels Airport (meaning that there would be a second station at BRU), enabling possibilities for high-speed services to Germany, but also extending the ones coming from France.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sn26567 wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 22:41
JOVAN2 wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 22:04 We read in André's report about the Meeting of the Belgian Airline Industry that they also discussed the " need for an intermodal hub with HST connectivity at BRU ".

If Gerber (SN) and Feist (BRU) already complained explicitly about this issue in interviews, in De Tijd and about the political unwillingness to even consider this, then we must really worry about the future of BRU airport and SN.
You can read in the same report that BATA was represented by Wencke Lemmes-Pireaux, who is a Brussels Airlines manager. I guess she could only relay the opinion of Peter Gerber on the subject: the need for Brussels Airport to be connected to the HST network. It is by repeating this, over and again, that it might eventually enter the brains of our politicians, and especially those of have the power to decide, like the Minister of Mobility. But knowing who is the latter, I have my doubts!
Not a fan of Gilkinet, but how exactly can he force a foreign operator (DB) or a partially Belgian operator (Thalys) to halt at BRU? Untill today there obviously isn't a demand to do so, otherwise the operation would be there.

The only option for the NMBS today is to deploy the newly ordered locomotives for international service and I11-stock to neighbouring countries (South-NL, North-FR, Western-GR) within BRU's market.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

The SNCB is for me the only option to connect BRU to neighbouring countries with direct link to Liege/Koln/Dusseldorf; Lille/Paris; Namur/Luxembourg

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The Diabolo surcharge will increase from 5,00 € to 5,8403 € on 01st February 2023.

(source: Belgian State Gazette 20/01/2023)

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

Passenger wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 12:35 The Diabolo surcharge will increase from 5,00 € to 5,8403 € on 01st February 2023.

(source: Belgian State Gazette 20/01/2023)
I am happy that somebody reads the STAATSBLAD for us.
But the DIABOLO surcharge shows again the lack of collaboration between the SNCB/NMBS and BRU Airport.

With some creative thinking they could enhance the use of the train and the income seriously .

E.g. include part of the amount in the airport tax that everybody pays (not only people coming by train) and eventually
increase the train ticket when people go to BRU .
Nobody would complain about this.

Now they spend probably lots of money on the control of the surcharge.

Every normal person hates this (tricky) surcharges and retributions or however they call this mafia-like contributions.
Probably some guys make a nice (hidden) income from it ??

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

FEDERALE OVERHEIDSDIENST MOBILITEIT EN VERVOER
15 JANUARI 2023. - Koninklijk besluit houdende vaststelling van het bedrag van de passagiersvergoeding Diabolo

FILIP, Koning der Belgen,
Aan allen die nu zijn en hierna wezen zullen, Onze Groet.
Gelet op de wet van 30 april 2007 houdende dringende spoorwegbepalingen, inzonderheid op artikel 12, § 2;
Gelet op het koninklijk besluit van 29 januari 2014 houdende vaststelling van het initieel bedrag van de passagiersvergoeding Diabolo;
Overwegende het voorstel van de spoorweginfrastructuurbeheerder Infrabel van 1 maart 2022 en de uitwisselingen die volgden;
Gelet op het advies van de Inspecteur van Financiën, gegeven op 13 december 2022;
Gelet op de akkoordbevinding van de staatssecretaris voor Begroting, gegeven op 20 december 2022;
Gelet op de betrokkenheid van de gewestregeringen;
Gelet op het verzoek om spoedbehandeling gemotiveerd door de noodzaak om de wet van 30 april 2007 houdende dringende spoorwegbepalingen en het contract tussen de private partner (Northern Diabolo NV) en Infrabel na te leven, dat onder bepaalde voorwaarden voor de private partner de mogelijkheid voorziet om de passagiersvergoeding te wijzigen, en om deze tariefaanpassing te integreren in de jaarlijkse herziening van de NMBS-tarieven op 1 februari 2023, rekening houdend met het feit dat de Staat via de comfort letter van 8 juni 2007 verbonden is met Infrabel ten opzichte van de private partner;
Gelet op advies nr. 72.877/4 van de Raad van State, gegeven op 10 januari 2023, met toepassing van artikel 84, § 1, eerste lid, 3°, van de wetten op de Raad van State, gecoördineerd op 12 januari 1973;
Op de voordracht van de Minister van Mobiliteit, en op het advies van de in Raad vergaderde Ministers,

Hebben Wij besloten en besluiten Wij :

Artikel 1. Het bedrag van de passagiersvergoeding bedoeld in artikel 12, § 2, van de wet van 30 april 2007 houdende dringende spoorwegbepalingen wordt vastgesteld op 5,8403 EUR (uitgedrukt in waarde 2022), inclusief 6% BTW.

Art. 2. Het koninklijk besluit van 29 januari 2014 houdende vaststelling van het bedrag van de passagiersvergoeding Diabolo wordt opgeheven.

Art. 3. Dit besluit treedt in werking op 1 februari 2023.

Art. 4. De Minister van Mobiliteit is belast met de uitvoering van dit besluit.

Gegeven te Brussel, 15 januari 2023.
FILIP
Van Koningswege :
De Minister van Mobiliteit,
G. GILKINET

SERVICE PUBLIC FEDERAL MOBILITE ET TRANSPORTS
15 JANVIER 2023. - Arrêté royal portant fixation du montant de la redevance passager Diabolo

PHILIPPE, Roi des Belges,
A tous, présents et à venir, Salut.
Vu la loi du 30 avril 2007 portant dispositions urgentes concernant le chemin de fer, notamment l'article 12, § 2 ;
Vu l'arrêté royal du 29 janvier 2014 portant fixation du montant initial de la redevance passager Diabolo;
Considérant la proposition du gestionnaire de l'infrastructure ferroviaire Infrabel du 1er mars 2022 et les échanges qui ont suivi;
Vu l'avis de l'Inspecteur des Finances, donné le 13 décembre 2022;
Vu l'accord de la Secrétaire d'Etat au Budget, donné le 20 décembre 2022 ;
Vu l'association des gouvernements des régions ;
Vu l'urgence motivée par la nécessité de respecter la loi du 30 avril 2007 portant dispositions urgentes concernant le chemin de fer et le contrat conclu entre le partenaire privé (Northern Diabolo NV) et Infrabel, qui prévoit la possibilité sous certaines conditions pour le partenaire privé de modifier le niveau de la redevance voyageur, et d'intégrer cette modification tarifaire dans la révision annuelle des tarifs de la SNCB au 1er février 2023, tenant compte du fait que l'Etat est solidaire d'Infrabel vis-à-vis du partenaire privé via la lettre de confort du 8 juin 2007;
Vu l'avis n° 72.877/4 du Conseil d'Etat, donné le 10 janvier 2023, en application de l'article 84, § 1er, alinéa 1er, 3°, des lois sur le Conseil d'Etat, coordonnées le 12 janvier 1973 ;
Sur la proposition du Ministre de la Mobilité, et de l'avis des Ministres qui ont en délibéré en Conseil,

Nous avons arrêté et arrêtons :

Article 1er. Le montant de la redevance passager visée à l'article 12, § 2, de la loi du 30 avril 2007 portant dispositions urgentes concernant le chemin de fer est fixé à 5,8403 EUR (exprimé en valeur 2022), TVA de 6% incluse.

Art. 2. L'arrêté royal du 29 janvier 2014 portant fixation du montant de la redevance passager Diabolo est abrogé.

Art. 3. Le présent arrêté entre en vigueur le 1er février 2023.

Art. 4. Le Ministre de la Mobilité est chargé de l'exécution du présent arrêté.

Donné à Bruxelles, le 15 janvier 2023.
PHILIPPE
Par le Roi :
Le Ministre de la Mobilité,
G. GILKINET

fcw

Post by fcw »

Passenger wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 12:35 The Diabolo surcharge will increase from 5,00 € to 5,8403 € on 01st February 2023.
Increase from 5,70€ to 6,20 to be correct.
Last edited by fcw on 20 Jan 2023, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.