Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by luchtzak »

Indeed, the entrance from the drop off area towards the terminal is ugly, dark, dirty and has no look. People smoking next to the entrance.... Not a good first impression.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 19:06 BAC really likes to build new infrastructure.... for themselves.

Renovated Satellite, now the new Compass building. I'm sure BAC staff now all have a modern workspace with a nice tarmac view...

https://twitter.com/BrusselsAirport/sta ... 8071085057

And what did passengers get in the meantime?

- Departure hall still looks outdated
- Baggage reclaim area same story: very outdated and cramped (in my opinion, this is the worst part of the airport)
- Pier B: same as above
- Bus station area is a total joke: ugly broken concrete, poor signage, just shameful for an international airport
- Drop off area where people have to use a tent to get to terminal (not to forget they must pass the horrible bus station).

Maybe it's time to modernize some infrastructure for passengers, no?
Bus station, drop off,... I understand your sentiments.

But how would they give the departure hall and B-pier a major overhaul? The arrivals hall is indeed cramped, but the same problem: how to tackle those issues? They are limited within the excisting volume of the building...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The construction works at the terminal will start very soon. The "Diamant" will disappear and will be the prolonging of the current terminal till the former Building 2 of DHL which was previously demolished. This will be a big expansion of the terminal.

As said, the construction works will start soon

Stij

Post by Stij »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 08:56 The construction works at the terminal will start very soon. The "Diamant" will disappear and will be the prolonging of the current terminal till the former Building 2 of DHL which was previously demolished. This will be a big expansion of the terminal.

Are there any renderings available?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 08:56 The construction works at the terminal will start very soon. The "Diamant" will disappear and will be the prolonging of the current terminal till the former Building 2 of DHL which was previously demolished. This will be a big expansion of the terminal.

That is really good to hear! Yet I don't understand why Brussels Airport is not communicating about this, as these are MAJOR redevelopments and constructions! Where are the plans, the renders,...?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 16:57

That is really good to hear! Yet I don't understand why Brussels Airport is not communicating about this, as these are MAJOR redevelopments and constructions! Where are the plans, the renders,...?
It will be bcs it's a huge project. Pax will be affected as in the Diamant you have a lot of connections. So first this has to be arranged via an other way

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Interesting :)

I'm trying to understand here, so the terminal will be extended towards this horrible old Swissport building?

I presume this will be demolished aswel? (I hope soon as it gives the whole airport a Soviet-look)...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

What is it the "diamond"

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

crew1990 wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 19:01 What is it the "diamond"
Octagonal building roughly in the middle of the current terminal, housing escalators and elevators from level -1 up to +4...

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

It's this (white) building:

When looking at the '2040 vision' images, we can see the extension of the terminal at the location of the 'diamant' today:

I presume it will be something like this?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The drop-off point should be improved, a non-smoking restriction between the drop-off point and the terminal should also be very welcome.

Lately, I have noticed lots of homeless people around the terminal building. Perhaps a good solution (a bed and accommodation) could be found for them ?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

any idea why all the bookstands RELAY have closed at the airport?
and if something else will open?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Relay was sold by B-post to Golden Palace, a betting agency. I Don't think you will find a betting agency at the airport any time soon.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

OO-ITR wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 17:17 any idea why all the bookstands RELAY have closed at the airport?
Refurbishing before reopening, said the airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

sn26567 wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 00:24
OO-ITR wrote: 10 Nov 2022, 17:17 any idea why all the bookstands RELAY have closed at the airport?
Refurbishing before reopening, said the airport.
I noticed that’s it’s become WH Smith at arrivals.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Yesterday I saw fences around this soviet-building with the message "we are redeveloping this area"...

When is BAC going to communicate about these redevelopments? Where are the plans? How is it going to look like?

What are they waiting for? (we are curious) ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:18 Yesterday I saw fences around this soviet-building with the message "we are redeveloping this area"...

When is BAC going to communicate about these redevelopments? Where are the plans? How is it going to look like?

This is what I wrote about a few weeks ago. That building 2 will be demolished together with the Diamant. It will become the extention of the terminal. And also, if the plan didn't changed, the second new hotel of BRU itself. But that's in a time frame between 3 and 4 years to be finished

longwings

Post by longwings »

Boavida wrote: 29 Nov 2022, 11:18 Yesterday I saw fences around this soviet-building with the message "we are redeveloping this area"...
I saw a similar sign on the way to pick up a rental, was it last week or maybe ten years ago? I can't recall but one thing i know is I won't be holding my breath.

JOVAN2

Post by JOVAN2 »

In de TIJD newspaper today, the CEO of SN complaints about the political unwillingness to connect BRU with the HST-network.

In times where short haul flights (less than 500km) are under pressure to be cancelled ( forbidden) it is impossible to understand.

We had lots of incompetent Ministers of Mobility in the last 20 years and perhaps the present one beats all the others.

Why is the Thalys and the ICE (and the TGV) not stopping at BRU ?

We have the Diabolo system there which allows to make a stop at BRU underground station to go in any directiona : Amsterdam,Rotterdam, Paris, Lille, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt etc. It would give BRU a central hub and an unique position to serve and attract PAX from the Benelux, Western Germany and Paris area.

The railway system is there, new investments would be minimal.

In present times people, even business travellers would certainly more easily choose for the train and high speed trains if they make it attractive, convenient, regular, punctual etc...

I never understood why this never was realized ?

Even Arnaud Feist CEO of BRU has many times brought the issue up with SNCB and with Political leaders, but without success.

Is there refusal from France ? Holland ???

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

JOVAN2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 19:06 In de TIJD newspaper today, the CEO of SN complaints about the political unwillingness to connect BRU with the HST-network.

In times where short haul flights (less than 500km) are under pressure to be cancelled ( forbidden) it is impossible to understand.

We had lots of incompetent Ministers of Mobility in the last 20 years and perhaps the present one beats all the others.

Why is the Thalys and the ICE (and the TGV) not stopping at BRU ?

We have the Diabolo system there which allows to make a stop at BRU underground station to go in any directiona : Amsterdam,Rotterdam, Paris, Lille, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt etc. It would give BRU a central hub and an unique position to serve and attract PAX from the Benelux, Western Germany and Paris area.

The railway system is there, new investments would be minimal.

In present times people, even business travellers would certainly more easily choose for the train and high speed trains if they make it attractive, convenient, regular, punctual etc...

I never understood why this never was realized ?

Even Arnaud Feist CEO of BRU has many times brought the issue up with SNCB and with Political leaders, but without success.

Is there refusal from France ? Holland ???
The NMBS holds only 30% of Thalys shares, ICE is German, TGV French.

BRU doesn't have an ideal position to Brussels. Having high speed trains halt at the airport is quite a detour for those company's and only worth the extra time if demand is high enough.