Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TimTam

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by TimTam »

At last some humor (even if it is slightly cynical)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

I went to drop off someone at BRU yesterday. When leaving the drop-off area my car shaked wildly as there are huge potholes in the road! The asphalt is completely gone at some points... I'm talking about this spot: https://www.google.be/maps/@50.8977945, ... ?entry=ttu (images are from 2019, clearly no maintenance whatsoever has ever been done on these 'roads')

Instead of improving this already horrible area, it's getting even worse. :|

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

Difficult to understand why basic road maintenance works are not being done. (Would the commune of Zaventem or the Flemish Region be in charge of this ?).
And difficult to understand that there still is no proper drop off area and no upgrading of the arrivals taxis stand. Minor investments, I think.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Very sad and bad news, BRU decided, when they applied for the new environmental permit, to not expand further.

All current and future activities has to be done in the current infrastructure. This means no extra pier, Pier A West, and also not the prolonging of runway 25L/07R. That second one was already known for some time but it was not vanished, till now.

The prediction is that 32 million pax will be reached by 2032 while the terminal, or airport itself, has a capacity of 30 million pax.

No idea, simply no idea, what will be after.

If they ever would decide to reopen the Satellite for pax, it can handle 2 million pax a year and you stay in the same infrastructure.

On a side note, there are now 176 destinations served from the airport, while a few years ago, before Covid it was 235 destinations. I think that was the mean reason for that decision.

The only certainty is the second hotel, 4 to 5 stars, with around 150 rooms, a third office building (25.000 to 32.000 square meters) and the intermodal hub where the extention of the current terminal will be included. This is called Business District phase 1.

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

So, building a large office building and an extra hotel are BRU's priorities ? I must have missed something or is BRU no longer a real airport (but a Business District) ? In the end, BRU will become like LIS, a nightmare due to a lack a of political and commercial vision. We will end up taking the TGV to CDG. OMG !

b720

Post by b720 »

TimTam wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 18:25 Difficult to understand why basic road maintenance works are not being done. (Would the commune of Zaventem or the Flemish Region be in charge of this ?).
And difficult to understand that there still is no proper drop off area and no upgrading of the arrivals taxis stand. Minor investments, I think.
The drop off area is a disgrace.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

TimTam wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 13:33 So, building a large office building and an extra hotel are BRU's priorities ? I must have missed something or is BRU no longer a real airport (but a Business District) ? In the end, BRU will become like LIS, a nightmare due to a lack a of political and commercial vision. We will end up taking the TGV to CDG. OMG !
This is a reaction from somebody who don't understand the bigger picture.

The time that airports are earning money only via the pure aviation related activities is already more than a decade behind us. All big and smaller airports are earning money via the secondary activities which means building and renting office buildings, parking, hotels, etc. BRU is doing the same bcs it generate extra money. The Sheraton is most of the time full, a second hotel on the area is needed. This is especially good for business who are lack in time. And the events in the Sky hall are on almost full speed.

Regarding the office building. Companies are currently standing in a row to have an office on the airport area. It's good for their prestige and also their clients are not losing time.

So, why not?

Regarding Pier A West, yes, I'm very surprised too. They gave too much credit to the neighborhood and Brussels by not expanding this part. On the other side they have cuffed hands. The new permit gave them only yearly movements of 240.000 while they are now at almost 200.000. It doesn't give them much space.

convair

Post by convair »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 22:54 Very sad and bad news, BRU decided, when they applied for the new environmental permit, to not expand further.

All current and future activities has to be done in the current infrastructure. This means no extra pier, Pier A West, and also not the prolonging of runway 25L/07R. That second one was already known for some time but it was not vanished, till now.

The prediction is that 32 million pax will be reached by 2032 while the terminal, or airport itself, has a capacity of 30 million pax.

If they ever would decide to reopen the Satellite for pax, it can handle 2 million pax a year and you stay in the same infrastructure.

On a side note, there are now 176 destinations served from the airport, while a few years ago, before Covid it was 235 destinations. I think that was the mean reason for that decision.

The only certainty is the second hotel, 4 to 5 stars, with around 150 rooms, a third office building (25.000 to 32.000 square meters) and the intermodal hub where the extention of the current terminal will be included. This is called Business District phase 1.
Did they specifically said in the permit application that they wo'nt expand Pier A West or did they only refrain from mentioning it?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

convair wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 21:46
Atlantis wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 22:54 Very sad and bad news, BRU decided, when they applied for the new environmental permit, to not expand further.

Did they specifically said in the permit application that they wo'nt expand Pier A West or did they only refrain from mentioning it?
What is mentioned is that there is no request from BRU for more flights. This with reference to the night.

Second what is mentioned is that the airport will remain the aviation activities within the current infrastructure, this means the current buildings, installations and runways as we know them today. Nothing is in the planning regarding the extra pier and not prolong runway 25L/07R.
The experts took also in consideration the optimalisation of the current infrastructure without structural changes. They refer here about the engine test infrastructure, extra exits on the runways to taxi faster to the gate, etc. Each of those future changes needs to be permitted again. But those are not included in the current permit. The experts included only the effects of them.

But this is an indefinite permit. I have just checked it again and there are evaluation moments included in this permit. This means that if needed a change can be requested and added to the permit which I hope. This pier A West is really needed for the current hub function.

But to grow to 32 million you simply need space. The A pier is already very full. This means 10 million pax more in 8 years. Then they have to be creative.
Also to grow to 1 million ton of cargo by 2032 needs to be done within the current infrastructure. The experts are pushing here to add more freight in the belly of pax flights and more cargo flights during the day.

But, on the other side, before covid there were 80 to 90 airlines active on the airport. Today there are 60. Total amount of destinations today is 176 while 235 before covid. Together with the limited flights per year was this the factor? No idea but I'm disappointed

Matt

Post by Matt »

Atlantis wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 22:54
Is that still possible? (I haven't been inside the satellite since the 90's)

Is there still aviation infrastructure left in the satellite? (just curious) I cannot imagine this would be cheap.

Side note: Would be nice to relive those old memories and go back in the satellite as a passenger again tough.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Matt wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 09:18
Atlantis wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 22:54
Is that still possible? (I haven't been inside the satellite since the 90's)

Is there still aviation infrastructure left in the satellite? (just curious) I cannot imagine this would be cheap.

Side note: Would be nice to relive those old memories and go back in the satellite as a passenger again tough.
It is possible. The Satellite was used many years for all kind of BRU departments before they moved to the newly build office. The police is now using a part of it before they will move to their new build office at the airport.

What the destination will be for the Satellite after the move out is uncertain but aviation activities could be for sure. It's more the matter of having again a corridor from the terminal to the Satellite, bcs in recent years a lot changed there.

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

Reopening the Satellite for aircraft and dis&embarking pax could be done in two ways imho. Either a minor renovation and dedicate it to low cost carriers ? Or a stylish renovation for full service airlines. Hey, Mr CEO ! Think of the return on investment from the rentals of the shops and food outlets in the corridor and the Satellite itself ;-)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

TimTam wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 22:01 Reopening the Satellite for aircraft and dis&embarking pax could be done in two ways imho. Either a minor renovation and dedicate it to low cost carriers ? Or a stylish renovation for full service airlines. Hey, Mr CEO ! Think of the return on investment from the rentals of the shops and food outlets in the corridor and the Satellite itself ;-)
LCC will not have their own pier.

The Satellite could be a perfect solution for the holiday flights. From them you have a lot and we have many different leisure companies flying on BRU.
This could free up space at the A pier which starts to be very crowded during the morning.

It could make sense bcs terminal 2, the smaller holiday terminal lays in the direction of the Satellite. On this way you partially split leisure pax from business pax. But I said partially.

TimTam

Post by TimTam »

Good thinking and suggestion !

herry86

Post by herry86 »

TimTam wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 22:01 Reopening the Satellite for aircraft and dis&embarking pax could be done in two ways imho. Either a minor renovation and dedicate it to low cost carriers ? Or a stylish renovation for full service airlines. Hey, Mr CEO ! Think of the return on investment from the rentals of the shops and food outlets in the corridor and the Satellite itself ;-)
the Satellite for either low-cost carriers or full-service airlines presents intriguing options. Consideration of ROI from shop and food outlet rentals underscores the potential for profitability in either approach. Exciting decisions ahead.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

TimTam wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 23:23 Good thinking and suggestion !
In the past there were 9 air bridges on this satellite, this was a lot. Can you imagine how much space can be saved on the A pier? The satellite can be really heavily used.
See how many planes now are parked on the remote stands bcs there is no place. The other practical issue is where to do their security check? Close to the holiday terminal or just before the Satellite or in the current Connector (but then your walking distance will be really long)?

The inside was fully renowned years ago. Only the outside could use a more modern look. But I'm sure sure if it's allowed as this building is seen as a monument.

It needs investments and a "change of destination" like it is called when the purpose of your building will change. But it could have a huge potential.

If only they can operate within the same infrastructure, well, high time to use it for what it was destinated.

Of course, this time is my own way of thinking.

And to speak freely, I think the last couple of years they were too much busy with " the green factor" and being sustainable and lost the eye for other issues. It's a great airport but not fully used like it should be. As a matter of fact, with the current infrastructure we can have 3 piers, A and B and the Satellite as C.

Polish24

Post by Polish24 »

Hello, I would say that BRU is really ok at the moment with the existing infrastructure. Pier A and Connector are very good standard, Pier B is ok comparing to other european airports, what needs improvement in my eyes is the terminal building itself "vertrekhal" as its small and outdated. I understand from Atlantis post, that this investment will still go through and the terminal building will be expanded in the direction of the currecct drop off zone? Regarding the future it's a shame that (at the moment I understand) the piers will not be expanded as in the peak hours it is pretty busy indeed. IMHO such investments should be done before the airport will reach its full capacity but it looks like they want to wait until after 2030 to decide?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

My 2 cents, they left out infrastructurial expansions because time wasn't on their hands. If one day A pier West becomes necessary, they can request a seperate permit for it.

Nothing is carved into stone, except for the Ten Commandments ;)

In the meantime, limit LCC as much as possible. Respectfuly decline Transavia and reserve capacity for higher end airlines, contributing to the hub function of BRU.

convair

Post by convair »

Atlantis wrote: 22 Apr 2024, 22:12
LCC will not have their own pier.

The Satellite could be a perfect solution for the holiday flights. From them you have a lot and we have many different leisure companies flying on BRU.
This could free up space at the A pier which starts to be very crowded during the morning.

It could make sense bcs terminal 2, the smaller holiday terminal lays in the direction of the Satellite. On this way you partially split leisure pax from business pax. But I said partially.
Interesting suggestion; a travelator should be installed to reduce passengers' inconvenience though.
Could the security area be fitted within the basement of the Deloitte building?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 22:05 My 2 cents, they left out infrastructurial expansions because time wasn't on their hands. If one day A pier West becomes necessary, they can request a seperate permit for it.

Nothing is carved into stone, except for the Ten Commandments ;)

In the meantime, limit LCC as much as possible. Respectfuly decline Transavia and reserve capacity for higher end airlines, contributing to the hub function of BRU.
The plans of A pier West are more or less 10 years existing. There was enough time to implement it. In that time we had even the record number of passengers. We are talking here before Covid.
With the current permit they highlighted to operate only within the current infrastructure and not adding/requesting extra flights. This means for the next 8 years nothing when we count till 2032 when it really will be strict. That's almost 20 years lost.

Let's be honest, we don't have this pushing, going hard for business. We are too soft and modest and quickly satisfied with what we have.

But like I wrote previously, there are evaluation moments where a change can be requested and a new specific permit can be requested.

Regarding LCC and Transavia. I follow partially your idea. When there is a demand, we should offer the possibility. At the end its income. There is a reason why Transavia is doing very well from BRU.