brussels airlines (SN) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-ITR

Re: brussels airlines (SN) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)

Post by OO-ITR »

airazurxtror wrote:There is a difference between seats offered and seats sold. It's called the Load Factor.
When Ryanair says they'll soon be n°1 in Belgium, I understand they speak of the number of seats sold, not counting the seats which fly empty.
And the loadfactor of Ryanair in BRU being??? Right, I rest my case...

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote:
convair wrote:Easy to determine who's number 1 in terms of pax then if you know the respective load factors, during the same period of course.
Easy? No: Ryanair, unlike SN, does not publish figures for the Belgian market. Only the number of seats offered is available through OAG.
Tss Tss André... you attribute my remarkable ;) contribution to airazur! I will claim compensation... ;)

Now, your comment is relevant of course, and I should have written IF in capital letters. ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote:Tss Tss André... you attribute my remarkable ;) contribution to airazur! I will claim compensation... ;)

Now, your comment is relevant of course, and I should have written IF in capital letters. ;)
Oops! Mixing up my BBCodes? Let's correct this right away! And sorry for the inconvenience ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

OO-ITR wrote:
airazurxtror wrote:There is a difference between seats offered and seats sold. It's called the Load Factor.
When Ryanair says they'll soon be n°1 in Belgium, I understand they speak of the number of seats sold, not counting the seats which fly empty.
LF in BRU is an avarage of 98%, I rest my case ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Do you have an official source, Sean? I have taken Ryanair flights where the load factor was 25%...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:Do you have an official source, Sean? I have taken Ryanair flights where the load factor was 25%...
This was the summer performance. The figures are official but not published. How long ago was this 25% LF flight?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote:How long ago was this 25% LF flight?
BRU-DUB 28/01/2015 https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55585
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sean1982 wrote:
OO-ITR wrote:
Yes sure and Queen Elisabeth is my grandmother.

Like you ask other members so many time yourself : SOURCES???????

Stij

Post by Stij »

Loadfactor BRU TSF last wednesday: according to gate agent: a little over 50%... Last friday VRN BRu 100%...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

OO-ITR wrote:
sean1982 wrote:
Yes sure and Queen Elisabeth is my grandmother.

Like you ask other members so many time yourself : SOURCES???????
You know who I work for ... Asking for sources is kinda pointless in that case. I wouldnt ask you for sources either

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I can admit that FR had a 98% during summer, but for the whole year it might be a little more difficult. If for one flight there is a 25% LF, which I have experienced, it will take 37 flights at 100% LF to bring the average to 98%.
André
ex Sabena #26567

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Allow me to remind everybody about the title of this topic, which is not this:

Code: Select all

Ryanair (FR) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)
But this:

Code: Select all

brussels airlines (SN) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)
As I have mentioned before... Feel free to start up the first topic. As nobody has done that so far, we'll continue to discuss the second one here.
Thomas

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Here is an interesting article from centerfor aviation about BRU traffic ...
http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/b ... ons-246706

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn-remember wrote:Here is an interesting article from centerfor aviation about BRU traffic ...
http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/b ... ons-246706
Indeed. And this article is discussed a few posts above, in the previous page of this thread: https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 60#p323148 ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

oops sorry ! Pls delete .. :)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Thank you for that link; it contains loads of empirical data to check several claims with.
We already had the impression they were retaking market share at BRU and supported such by analytical comparative data; it now gets supported by direct data like the one contained in this CAPA article.

The most noticeable conclusion from this very recent article however is that CAPA have quietly but nevertheless quite obviously changed their previous assessment ryanair was Belgium's biggest airline already since 2014.

As I already pointed out some time ago, they based that claim on predictive data provided to them by ryanair themselves in which said company fully ignored the very aggressive expansion of Brussels Airlines, indicative of just how much it must have taken them by surprise, and so CAPA learned the lesson only to rely on self-gathered figures now, it seems. Good starting point. ;)

Would be even more meaningful data from them if they'd step away from the rather naïve one dimentional data (number of seats), and make their data two dimensional (seat kilometer); the hotel business for instance to relate to an affiliate sector does it in that way too: they count the number of overnights vs. just the number of bookings. Such more complex quantifiers generally avoid favouring venues living of short staying customers, be it on the ground, or in the air.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

From the CAPA report :

Brussels Airlines is the leading carrier by seat numbers at BRU, with a seat share of 34%, according to OAG data for the week of 28-Sep-2015. Its share at BRU is lower than any other 'national' carrier in Western Europe at its home hub.
Moreover, if Brussels South Charleroi Airport is also taken into account, Brussels Airlines' share of seats in the Brussels airport system is only 27%. Ryanair has 23% and LCC Jetairfly, a TUI Travel subsidiary has a 10% overall share. LCCs Vueling, easyJet and Wizz Air have 8% of Brussels system seats between them.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

So if I call Oostende 'Brussels West', the 'brussels system' marketshare of Jetaifly goes up, is that how it works? While we're at it, let's call Liege Brussels East and Antwerp Brussels North, shall we?

There's a significant difference between our regional and national airports in the sense that the national airport is the only one where the traveler is offered with connections. Moreover, those connections are a very big deal of traffic at EBBR. Aggregating traffic of 2 or more airports ad random doesn't learn us anything valuable, unless you do it based on something you actually want to measure, like Belgian market share. Even that is not that simple as some airfields in northern France or Southern Netherlands would also come into play.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Stij wrote:Loadfactor BRU TSF last wednesday: according to gate agent: a little over 50%... Last friday VRN BRu 100%...
Today :

FR 2933 ALC 0625 LF 85 %
FR 2985 VLC 0630 LF 79 %
FR 2935 TSF 0645 LF 49 %
FR 2925 LIS 0655 LF 87 %
FR 2917 BCN 0900 LF 78 %
FR 7010 FCO 1015 LF 82 %
FR 1453 DUB 1030 LF 75 %
FR 2921 BCN 1235 LF 72 %
FR 2915 PMI 1255 LF 87 %
FR 2923 AGP 1350 LF 94 %
FR 2928 OPO 1350 LF 85 %
FR 2983 FCO 1615 LF 56 %
FR 2938 BCN 1800 LF 62 %
Best regards,

Airbuske

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

teddybAIR wrote:So if I call Oostende 'Brussels West', the 'brussels system' marketshare of Jetaifly goes up, is that how it works? While we're at it, let's call Liege Brussels East and Antwerp Brussels North, shall we?

There's a significant difference between our regional and national airports in the sense that the national airport is the only one where the traveler is offered with connections. Moreover, those connections are a very big deal of traffic at EBBR. Aggregating traffic of 2 or more airports ad random doesn't learn us anything valuable, unless you do it based on something you actually want to measure, like Belgian market share. Even that is not that simple as some airfields in northern France or Southern Netherlands would also come into play.
On many booking websites, when choosing BRU (all airports in Brussels area), you get flights both from BRU and CRL. Ebookers for example