brussels airlines (SN) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: brussels airlines (SN) market share @ Brussels airport (BRU)

Post by Inquirer »

Stij,
1_ thank you. ;)
I am not sure they like the fame so much though.
No figures available from them, but they seem to cut and reshuffle.
My take is they are a bit squeezed between ryanair and Brussels?
Easyjet too these days. Brussels seems to hit at them hard on GVA and BSL. (just my own observation)
2_ indeed, although it would definitely be far more correct.
A lot of all this market share talk is just for PR sake, as the markets considered aren't very clearly deliminated to start with. I have literally tons of theoretical questions regarding the statistical evidence gathering, not just related to the delimitation of the market size itself, but also each volume count.
For instance: when I book a flight to Zürich, I do so under SN booking number for contractual reasons, yet I am not counted as one of their customers then, I simply become a Belgian SWISS passenger?
I dont agree with that actually: its thanks to the code share I fly them; without such, I'd most certainly be booked on the Brussels airlines flight to ZRH, so I am very much a Brussels airlines customer, yet often not counted as such at present.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Regarding FR PAX figures goal in 2015 :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -schedule/

6,9 Mio PAX from both BRU (1,7 Mio) and CRL (5,2 Mio) were apparently announced as target in Feb' for the full year 2015...

The below article today (La libre Belgique) is interesting, as Kenny Jacobs do mention 22% market share for FR in Belgium :

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 40d72d3d9a

They want to grow by 20% next year to reach the 8 Mio mark... so it means the 2015 figures of 6,9 Mio PAX won't be that easy to reach this year... (6,9 Mio + 20% = ?!?!)

All in all, we can estimate that SN will take the lead in 2015 but that 2016 will be another "round"...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Never mind...

brusselsairlinesfan

The June PAX figures tend to confirm the SN growing market share @ BRU ;-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Also on De Tijd:
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1439318573

they mention 3 reasons for this record month at Brussels Airlines:
- success of the new commercial strategy
- popularity of the many new destinations started
- tomorrowland party flights

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Inquirer wrote:they mention 3 reasons for this record month at Brussels Airlines:
- success of the new commercial strategy
- popularity of the many new destinations started
- tomorrowland party flights
Having worked in the "salon des vacances" I can confirm the new destination had a lot of success to our public.

For the tomorrowland flight, this is bullshit because those 14 pour cent grow is a comparaison between july 14 and July 15, in 2014 there were 2 tomorrow land weekend while this year one weekend, so the grow is due to the firs two reason but certainly not for tomorrowland

brusselsairlinesfan

Considering the july PAX figures as published by SN, can we rank them as BRU and Belgium first airline in terms of PAX flown?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Considering the july PAX figures as published by SN, can we rank them as BRU and Belgium first airline in terms of PAX flown?
Ryanair claims it is number one in Belgium in 2015 with a forecast of 8 million passengers (6m in CRL, 2m in BRU), but does not publish official figures to sustain its claim (see https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -combined/).

Based on 6-month figures, Brussels Airlines could expects 7 million passengers in 2015, making it number one in BRU and number 2 in Belgium for the number of passengers (but number one in turnover) (see https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -semester/)

This being said, everyone can turn statistics the way he wants to prove his point of view...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Interesting piece of news in the CRL traffic figures: for the first time ever, they release figures per airline.
https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... nd-august/

So, what we have been asking here for a long time for in order to confirm (or refute) all the indirect data with and what Sean has always labeled as internal ryanair figures showing him something completely else than what the growing circumstantial evidence pointed us at, has now become public source information for the very first time! Thank you CRL for your openness and thus your help in settling yet another longstanding luchtzak.be dispute, intentional or not.

They show ryanair to have a shrinking market share not only at BRU like we already knew, but apparently also at CRL (!) and to have flown just under 3.7M passengers till AUG this year from the Walloon airport.
I'll leave it to others to extrapolate them at CRL and BRU into detailed full year figures based on these now publicly available figures, taking into account winter programming and to do the same for B.air at BRU.

In any case however, it largely confirms for once and for all that all those mysterical internal ryanair figures Sean frequently referred to are in fact just painting the very same picture all the indirect data painted us so far. ;)
Last edited by Inquirer on 10 Sep 2015, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The market share of Brussels Airlines at Brussels Airport is increasing again in August. Passenger traffic in August at BRU increased by 4.1%, year on year. Meanwhile passenger numbers of Brussels Airlines grew by 12.5%.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The trend we have been noticing for some time now also got picked up by De Tijd:
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1441809756

Reportedly, market share growth itself is also accelerating from just under 1% at the start if the year to reach 2.3% during the summer months.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I guess De Tijd must be reading us ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I will start to ask royalties on my statistical predictions. :)

brusselsairlinesfan

Good to see brussels airlines leading the belgian market!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

From another thread:
DannyVDB wrote:Hi all,

Quite an interesting article from CAPA on developments at BRU:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/b ... ons-246706
Very intesting indeed.

First a graph on the number of seats offered in BRU: SN dominates by far, although their market share is lower than any "flag carrier" in their respective markets.

Brussels Airport airline market share by seat numbers 28-Sep-2015 to 5-Oct-2015

Then follows a sentence which contradicts what MOL keeps repeating when in Belgium (he pretends that Ryanair is now the number one airline in Belgium):
CAPA wrote:Moreover, if Brussels South Charleroi Airport is also taken into account, Brussels Airlines' share of seats in the Brussels airport system is only 27%. Ryanair has 23% and LCC Jetairfly, a TUI Travel subsidiary has a 10% overall share. LCCs Vueling, easyJet and Wizz Air have 8% of Brussels system seats between them.
For everyone interested in Belgian aviation, reading this article is a must.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

There is a difference between seats offered and seats sold. It's called the Load Factor.
When Ryanair says they'll soon be n°1 in Belgium, I understand they speak of the number of seats sold, not counting the seats which fly empty.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I know. There are different ways to measure performance. If you also take into account the price at which those seats are sold (that is the turnover), I don't have to make a drawing to tell which airline will have the largest revenue.

Furthermore, Ryanair, unlike Brussels Airlines, does not publish any figures on seats sold or load factors for the Belgian market. Thus only the OAG data on the number of seats offered are available.
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

airazurxtror wrote:There is a difference between seats offered and seats sold. It's called the Load Factor.
When Ryanair says they'll soon be n°1 in Belgium, I understand they speak of the number of seats sold, not counting the seats which fly empty.
Easy to determine who's number 1 in terms of pax then if you know the respective load factors, during the same period of course.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote:Easy to determine who's number 1 in terms of pax then if you know the respective load factors, during the same period of course.
Easy? No: Ryanair, unlike SN, does not publish figures for the Belgian market. Only the number of seats offered is available through OAG.
André
ex Sabena #26567