Smoke in cabine, is that normal?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
liebensd

Smoke in cabine, is that normal?

Post by liebensd »

Hello,

Today I took a flight from Shanghai to Changchun wit China Eastern. The plane left 1 hour late, experienced China travelers will know that this is quite normal.
During takeoff I saw wight smoke coming from the main ventilation shafts on top and below the overhead bins.
I couldn't smell it. Is this maybe condensation of the hot air in the aircraft with the cold air from the airconditioner? Or is it something else? It is the first time I see this.
The aircraft was a 3 year old Airbus A321 B-6329.

Greetz,

Dave

Wim fan

Re: Smoke in cabine, is that normal?

Post by Wim fan »

It is exactly what you thought it was: condensation. Very well known for its ability to frighten passengers.

Hot air can contain more water, when cooled down the water needs to be sqeezed out, hence 'water' clouds close to the ventilation outlets.

Same thing happens when opening a freezer in high humidity tropic regions.

Regards

earthman

Re: Smoke in cabine, is that normal?

Post by earthman »

I had the same thing a while ago when, on a hot day, I went through the carwash with the a/c turned on. Clouds of white condensation were coming out of the vents. Next time I'll turn on the internal recirculation.