What engine is this?

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
Gliderpilot

What engine is this?

Post by Gliderpilot »

Hello

Don't know where to put this, so I put it here, in the pub...

(the plane is a glasair 3)

regi

Re: What engine is this?

Post by regi »

sorry, but the 2 pictures are so unclear and showing so little detail.
I guess this is a quizz? Otherwise I would say: have a look at the name plate :)

I can't even see if it is a 6 in line or a 6 cylinder boxer engine.
The pipe working shows something different, and confusing. It almost looks like a reworked engine.
So first guess is a Lycoming 6 cylinder, reworked by a ( USA? ) engine converter for racing or other special applications.
Just a guess.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I'll agree with Regi these photos are not very clear.
I don't think it is a Lycoming, however. Lycoming only makes boxers today, I think, or perhaps they still make some radials. But not inlines like this mystery looks to me.
Just a thought: there's a HUGE attachment between engine and prop, this can only be a (planetary?) gear reduction, with likely a prop governor added on top. Smells of a quite powerful engine, likely a car engine modified for aviation use.

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

I haven't taken the pictures myself, so I don't know the answer either. I have not any better quality pictures, sorry about that.

What first came to my mind was the 'standard' Lycoming IO-540, but after looking at the Glasair website, it really looks different. http://www.glasairaviation.com/featuresglasairIII.html

Lycoming IO-540, 6 cylinder:

Any opinions?

regi

Post by regi »

I still think that it is a 6 cylinder boxer engine, despite the manifolds ( double by cylinder) But it is the position of these manifolds that makes it difficult. Reason for thinking it is a 6 cylinder boxer engine is that I think I see only 3 cylinder head covers. But again, unclear picture.

Jan, can you tell us why you think it is a 6 in line instead of a 6 boxer ?
( yes, I share your idea about the possebility of a reworked 6 in line car engine )

It can also be a Continental 550 with reworked manifolds.
The remark about the large reduction gear box : the housing has been made as a casting, so it comes from a company that has some serial work. It has not been machined out of a solid block of aluminium or magnesium.
But...look at the second picture, and you may see ( it is unclear ) that the connection between the gearbox and the engine is not really fitting. Suggesting it is an adaption of an existing reduction and an engine that is normally not fitted on it. Probably by use of a made-on-order connection flange.

not related detail: the filter is from Donaldson. I didn't know that they made filters for aviation. I have sold them thousands of parts in the past through their subsidary near Leuven, Belgium. Time to make a call 8-)

jan_olieslagers

@Regi,
One of the few things we can reasonably assume is that we see, below the six tubes (whatever their purpose) some thing that can only be (the first stage of) a sound muffler. So there must be exhaust valves behind, and likely, a manifold. Also, we do see six identical tubes on top; as they are identical, they can't be a mix of inlets and exhausts.
So yes, this does look like a six-cylinder inline. But I agree with you we seem to see three cylinder heads, could they have two inlet valves each with separate inlet tubes? Seems unlikely to me.
Also, I don't think it is a boxer: a boxer's heads would protrude further from the crankshaft than the round reduction housing .
Strange that we do NOT see anything like a carburettor: customisation usually includes adding carburettors, at least one per side, sometimes even one per cylinder. Or would this be a diesel?

I'll agree with you the reductor housing looks like a custom build, though very very elaborate.

@Gliderpilot,
There's nothing more I could say (bar wild guesses) before obtaining more information. Plane registration? Photo's taken where and when? Any other info?

jan_olieslagers

As an afterthought: this engine is a lot smaller than the IO-540 in the other photograph. It has more or less the same distance from the firewall, while leaving room for that enormous reduction on the other side. If it is a piston engine - of which I am less and less sure - could it be from a motorcycle? Are there any inline-6 motorbikes around?
Whatever weight was gained in the engine must surely have been lost again in the reduction!

regi

Post by regi »

the diesel engines are 4 cylinders and V8 ( <Thielert ), but no 6 in line as far as I know. ( the Jumo's and Napiers were a bit bigger...)

And the Zoche design has the cylinders out of line.

So, yes, maybe a reworked 6 in line American block

No Rotax or Walter, that is sure.

That could explain the gear reduction. The torque on a 6 in line is pretty big.
But again, not enough detail...except of the Donaldson filter :)

jan_olieslagers

And the answer is to be found at:
http://www.mistral-engines.com/Products/G-300
Didn't I say it couldn't be a piston engine?
Gliderpilot, what prize have I earned?

BTW: less good news at
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/mi ... 706-1.html

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:And the answer is to be found at:
http://www.mistral-engines.com/Products/G-300
Nice research! Congratulations.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

Well done! Congratulations, you have won the "1st Luchtzak.be Guess-the-picture Award"! ;)

jan_olieslagers

Pff. Eternal glory is already my part, or so I was promised by two nice people who came ringing my bell last Sunday morning... I do insist on some material prize, either a golden cup or a Luchtzak-embroidered cap or a bottle of champagne. Or perhaps you could offer me a demo-flight in a two-seater glider?

regi

Post by regi »

I should have known it.
The manifolds were so strange.
OK, a Wankel engine. NSU RO80 and Mazda RX-7 , where are the times ?

ls6pj

Post by ls6pj »

That´s my workshop, my glasair 3 in the making, and my mistral G300 engine. The aircraft is now PH-IPJ and flying like a dream, and yes, the engine is superb