Spotting by train in Schiphol?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

sn26567

Spotting by train in Schiphol?

Post by sn26567 »

This afternoon I traveled by train from Brussels to Amsterdam, for the first time since ages. I had hoped to see some action when passing at Schiphol, like when you travel by car on the highway. I was very disappointed when the train entered a long tunnel at Schiphol. :evil:

The only thing I saw was well after the tunnel: a SAS MD80 landing at some distance.

The nice thing to say is that Schiphol station is very modern and fantastic: some eight tracks, including for HST (TGV). When I compare with the stupidity they have done at BRU: a terminal station with only three tracks. :evil:

Pierre Klees, CEO of Biac, has insisted since years to habe a through station with HST posiibilities. That would make our National airport much more attractive, like AMS or CDG.

But our politicians are too stupid to make such long-term plans :twisted:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

When you are at the station, is it far away from a place for taking pictures?

veldmuis

Post by veldmuis »

Not at all !

The station is right under the terminal building 'schiphol plaza', from which you can easily access the spotters' "panorama terrace" on the roof (indicated by signs) : almost 180° of the apron is visible from nearby, from the Schengen terminal, over the non-Schengen short haul terminal to the intercontinental terminal (where 747s are not yet a rare breed).
... clearly an idea to be copied by BIAC... :wink:

The 2 formal "spottersplaatsen" themselves are located right next to the touchdown spots on 2 of the runways, and are consequently not easy to be reached from the terminal without a car.
... clearly an idea to be copied by BIAC... :wink:

info on the website www.schiphol.nl