Yellow thing?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

liebensd

Yellow thing?

Post by liebensd »

Can someone tell me what that yellow thing is on the wing of this A320 of Thomas Cook?

foto

Greetz,

Dave
Last edited by liebensd on 17 May 2003, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

744rules

Post by 744rules »

My guess it is some kind of devise to lift the wing (either since construction or for maintenance). I know some a/c types (ie F100) have kind of strips on the wings, but the purpose of these is to determine if de-icing is needed or not. :lol:

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

I know tat on Russian aircraft there are some screens on the wing for leading the airflow over the wing. There are also other systems, I think they called them Vortex, which increase the speed of the airflow over the wing so that there is less turbulence on the wing. But when a constructor of planes places these items on a wing it are several little bullets and not just one.

Greetz,

Dave

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Guys,

in case of emergency people need to escape via the overwings, in the overwings there is a cord to attach on the yellow attachment point so people have some help getting out the aircraft. Hope this helps.

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

I have looked on the Internet and now I think vortex is not the right word for what I mean.
This is vortex, look at the picture what an aircraft can do whit the sky? Is it not amazing!

Greetz,

Dave

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Dave

You are right on both counts.

Vortex wake is created as in your photo by the aircraft pushing through the air then the air rushes back to fill the viod as the aircraft passes. It may not be so dramatic as your pic but you can experience this phenomenon if you stand under the approachon a calm day. a little time after the aircraft has passed a loud whistling of the disturbed air is heard - quite surprising the first time!

Aircraft have what are called vortex generators installed on flying surfaces to keep the airflow stuck to the wing/tail to increase efficiency. I think that winglets are installed for similar reasons.

Meerkat

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

Meerkat,

The this vortex can be heavy. At home I have a movie of a take-off of an Lufthansa 744, just next to the runway is a person who is talking about the vortex, and you can see the blast of the air, it is magic. This 744 departs at Newark when there is lots of mist, and then you can see the airflow just above and next the wing. The vortex of an aircraft determinate the distance between two aircrafts, so when aircrafts use special systems to take the vortex away they can fly shorter next to each other.

Greetz,

Dave

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

weren't those vortexes the cause of the accident with the cessna from the fed. Pol?

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

I am not sure that is was from vortex, but I could be vortex. A blast of air from a big aircraft on a small one can make problems. If a Cessna lands behind a 747 or a A340 or so that is not the place where you wan to be whit a small aircraft.

Greetz,

Dave

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Lyulka wrote:weren't those vortexes the cause of the accident with the cessna from the fed. Pol?
Indeed, just before the Cessna landed a cargo MD-11 took off runway 07L. Cessa's from the Federal Police are allowed to make a visual landing on runway 07L, apparently too close :(

Pictures of the accident still online at https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... le&sid=124

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

No, i don't know what that is!

Avro

Post by Avro »

For your information Vliegtuigfreak, the answer to the question is above in the topic..

Greetz
Chris
:wink: