Changing runway in FS2004

The place for all your flight-sim experiences, questions, etc...
Conti764

Changing runway in FS2004

Post by Conti764 »

I have bought Flight Simulator 2004 a few weeks ago and started flying. I never followed the learning center and in stead, looked for information on the internet and used it in the game. I can fly entire flights with B734 (the default one in the game) by now (take off, flying and landing) and in the future I want to get some add-ons.

Of course I use BRU as home base, but I have a problem. I always start at a gate and taxi to the active runway which always seems to be RWY02. This is not an issue when flying the 734, but when I want to take of with 773 or 744, the runway is way to short for me, and if I do manage to take of with the 744 it is with 'red' engines and a stall, dropping back to the ground. Even when I start from the active runway (in stead of taxiing) the runway is to short for me.

So now my question... how can you change the active runway from an airport? And am I taking of the wrong way? I would like to take of from 25R mostly like it is in the real world.

Departure

Re: Changing runway in FS2004

Post by Departure »

Option 1: Taxie from Gate to the Runway
Option 2: Just select the Runway in the list ;)
2009 August/July,: BRU-CMN
2010 August/July,: AMS-PDX

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Departure wrote:Option 1: Taxie from Gate to the Runway
Option 2: Just select the Runway in the list ;)
Thanks for your answer...

But what list do you mean? When I fly IFR BRU-LHR (for example) the ground controller gives me taxi clearance to taxi to runway 2 following taxiways ... There doesn't seem anything possible to change this...

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Not easy to answer because FS allows various options. But perhaps you could try changing the weather settings so that wind will force the use of 25 either L or R? BTW the people at MS seem to never have heard of Bertje and his bright ideas...

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

You can download a program, called AFCAD. In that program you can change some settings, for example you can close runways for take-off or landings. You can also change the gates (in FS, you don't have that many gates f.e. in EBBR). In afcad you can change all these things. If you search the net, you can find adapted AFCAD files, adjusted to recent situations on an airport (gates, taxiways, etc...).

But first off all, you should have a decent airport, not something like in standard FS. On the net, you can find very nice sceneries, from all around the world (freeware and payware).
And for second, you need some decent aircraft too, to fly with. The default aircraft in FS are not that good, not that detailed, and are not that realistic to fly with. Again on the net, you can find decent planes, again freeware, and the best are payware models, f.e. wilco Feelthere A3xx series.

If you like to make your FS2004 more realistic, you can change 1001 things... adapt your AI traffic (change the default traffic, to realistic airlines, with realistic flightplans), change aircraft, change airports, add weather tools, add pax tools, etc, etc, etc...

Tompompier

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Tompompier wrote:You can download a program, called AFCAD. In that program you can change some settings, for example you can close runways for take-off or landings. You can also change the gates (in FS, you don't have that many gates f.e. in EBBR). In afcad you can change all these things. If you search the net, you can find adapted AFCAD files, adjusted to recent situations on an airport (gates, taxiways, etc...).

But first off all, you should have a decent airport, not something like in standard FS. On the net, you can find very nice sceneries, from all around the world (freeware and payware).
And for second, you need some decent aircraft too, to fly with. The default aircraft in FS are not that good, not that detailed, and are not that realistic to fly with. Again on the net, you can find decent planes, again freeware, and the best are payware models, f.e. wilco Feelthere A3xx series.

If you like to make your FS2004 more realistic, you can change 1001 things... adapt your AI traffic (change the default traffic, to realistic airlines, with realistic flightplans), change aircraft, change airports, add weather tools, add pax tools, etc, etc, etc...

Tompompier
That is the plan in the long term, but first I want to learn everything about flying in FS. I heard the PMDG planes are wonderful, but you need to have some experience and knowledge to operate them, so I first want to gain some more experience, feeling in flying on itself with the default airplanes in FS2004. I have downloaded a JAF 738 of Project Open Skies and it is slightly more realistic then the default 734's in FS2004 (for example when taking of with the 734 I only added the heading, alt and IAS in the autopilot, took of till about 1000 ft and then turned the AP on. With the POS 738 I always took of but stayed at 1000 ft when turning on the AP, learning you have to adjust the vertical speed as well whereas in the 734 this is done automatically at 1.600).

I am learning to use it and gradually improving my skills step by step, but what really bothered (bothers) me is the fact that I can only take of from 02, which gets dull (always roughly the same taxiways) and is impossible (for me at least) to take of from with 744 and 772/3 thus limiting me to 734/738.

But thank you for your answer!

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Try to select realtime weather.
You get, I think, the latest weather at the airport. In most of the times you can take 25L/R. Depends on the current winds ofcourse.
Or as mentionend above set the winds in the directions you want. It's the easiest way to do it.

SN056M

Post by SN056M »

but what really bothered (bothers) me is the fact that I can only take of from 02, which gets dull
Download and install robert buysen's ebbr scenery,and normally your problem is solved.It's a freeware scenery!
Marc