Emergency in Helicopter

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Buzz

Emergency in Helicopter

Post by Buzz »

Can someone tell me if choppers have ejection seats?
We were arguing about it, and it has gotten me curious...
Are the rotorblades blown off before the seats are ejected?
Or is there nothing?

Thanks for any info
Buzz

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Long time ago I saw something like that at tv. The rotorblades are indeed blown off before the seats are ejected. But they were also testing an airbag at the bottom of the heli. As soon as the speed was too high and the chopper was too close to the ground, the airbag went off, just like an airbag in the car.

-------
Another interesting Helo from Kamov is KA-50 the NATO Code named "HOKUM". It has crew ejection seats, being the first helo to have this feature! It blasts off the rotors first, they the seats obviously!
Last edited by blackhawk on 26 Feb 2004, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Thanks, seems that we were right with our fantasies...

Thank you!

744rules

Post by 744rules »

And what about sideway ejection seats.

YACHTIE

Post by YACHTIE »

Sorry folks, but in a helicopter no ejection seats, none that I know of anyways, not to say that the new Comache might not have them but I doubt it as the challenge of avoiding the rotor blades is just too great. :cry:
As far as going sideways, well too much chance of hitting treetops, walls etc :o :o , as usually you're not ejecting out of an helicopter at great heights.
From a practical side though most helicopters manage to make emergency landings and fatal crashes I don't believe are all that numberous (barring battle/war situations).

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards,

GH :teach:

pilatus

Post by pilatus »

Well have to recall the fact that helicopters have ejestion seats or not. I found after 5' searching this example:

2- Are there any helicopters with ejection seats?

Yes. The Russian Zvezda K-37 seat system was specifically developed for use in the Kaman Ka-50 Black Shark, and is also used in the Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopter. The seat is more of a tractor rocket system than a full ejection seat, but it does provide for escape from the helicopter. The system first fires explosive bolts to jettison the rotor blades then jettisons the canopies and finally tractors the crewmen out. Their parachutes automatically deploy seconds later. In the United States, some work was done on a similar concept using an AH-1 Cobra helicopter, and a crew module system was tested on an H-21. Neither was followed up on.
I'm sure you will find some other examples.

Greetz,

Pilatus