Sobelair : End of the line ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Sobelair : How long will they survive ?

Poll ended at 24 Dec 2003, 13:21

Total votes: 0

SkyJet

Sobelair : End of the line ?

Post by SkyJet »

Will Sobelair recover from (almost) bankruptcy ?

Skystef

Post by Skystef »

Sorry to say, but the patient has terminal cancer :cry: .

SS

Avro

Post by Avro »

Q707 wrote:Sorry to say, but the patient has terminal cancer :cry: .

SS
Iagree, but we can always hope for a miracle.

Chris
:cry:

sabena4ever

Post by sabena4ever »

[quote="Q707"]Sorry to say, but the patient has terminal cancer :cry: .

Sorry, but it's not very funny!!

ciao d
sabena4ever

SkyJet

Post by SkyJet »

sabena4ever wrote:Sorry, but it's not very funny!!
The first step in the healing process is to acknowledge the patient is ill...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

You are all in such a hurry!!!

Please wait until the court of commerce meets on 19 December. Even then it will not pronounce bankruptcy, but send the case to the prosecution to decide on what to do.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Even then, if they send it to the prosecution, i think that they should end it as soon as possible.

For the employees it isn't a nice situation to be in, and i guess that the confusion and uncertainty is even the hardest of all to bear.

Sobelair already knows for a long time that they are in a very difficult position, and nobody has done something so far. So i guess that the company is doomed. At the end, it can even be better that they go bankrupt, at least then there is maybe a chance for a healthier company (like the SN and SNBA story) to take over and offer great service together with being profitable!

Greets,

Pieter

SN30952

Would that also apply to Sobelair?

Post by SN30952 »

Q707 wrote:Sorry to say, but the patient has terminal cancer :cry:.S S
Look what I found* in page 9/11 of Beca Analysis:
Reisagenten roepen op Sabena te steunen
08/02/2001
(djd)
Met een marktaandeel van 30 procent scoort Sabena echter veel slechter dan concurrenten in buurlanden. Een Nederlander vliegt KLM, een Duitser Lufthansa, een Belg heeft die reflex minder.
,,Sabena is zijn francofoon imago niet kwijt'', verklaart Van Eeckhoudt. ,,Een deel van de Vlamingen heeft geen voeling met onze national carrier .''

Would 'dat' also apply to Sobelair?
Some people keep forgetting the client always has a choice. They have choosen.

*It took me some time to remember where I read this before....

Comet

Post by Comet »

I would hate to see Sobelair suffer the same fate as Sabena. Like I have said before, too many Belgian airlines have gone in the recent past and it would be a shame to see another one go.

It's a sad fact that charter airlines often have problems, like MyTravel in the UK has massive problems, they are solely dependant on the overseas tourist market. Many tourists were put off flying by the events of 11th September, and charter carriers have suffered as a result. But I think seeing the end of an old company like Sobelair would be the same as seeing the end of Britannia for British aviation enthusiasts - they are a part of aviation history.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Further to what I wrote above (and in the Latest News section), here is an article from Expatica:
André
ex Sabena #26567

A318

Post by A318 »

SS
:offtopic:
Q707, I apreciate it a lot if you use normal language here. Anouncements like this can hurt a lot of people that have to deal with this disease or someone close to them. This includes me and it pisses me off!!!
On Topic:
I think Sobelair will survive since I hear stories going around about Arabic investers that are going to help Sobelair.
I should compair Sobelair with Air Holland (even they are in a more worse position I think since the personell of Air Holland is not receiving salaries) because they are struggling but somehow they always survive.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

Captain

Post by Captain »

I've flown on Sobelair several times and noticed that money could have been saved.

Many planes were too big for the route served. Flew a B737-400 which seats +/- 170 passengers and we were only about 20 on board!!!! This was a flight during the peak season at christmas.

Last year on another flight with Sobelair, flew back from Marrakech and noticed something even stranger: There were 2 flight departing from Marrakech airport to BRU. The second flight left about 1h30 after the first one. In total there were only about 120 people at the airport flying to Brussels that evening. They could have easily just put everyone on one flight! My flight (the 1st one) only had 35 people on board.

Was a comfortable flight, but a bit of a waste as charter airlines know exactly how many passengers there will be. You would have thought that they could have just scheduled one flight.

On another flight, to my surprise, the air hostesses came around asking if people smoked. If so, they could go to the back of the plane. Very shocked and unheard of in the 21st Century!!!

Captain.

TWA

Post by TWA »

Captain

As for SLR their planes are always full: it's the touroperators' problem if they have empty seats on the plane.

At the beginning of the season, you have full flights outbound and nearly empty flights inbound. At the end of each holiday period it's exactly the opposite.

TWA

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Erwin: I'm very sorry to hear you are confronted with this extremely sad disease, but I'm sure that Stef did not want to offend anyone with his comment.

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

vflies

Post by vflies »

More than any court, I believe that Sobelair's fate is in the hands of its main (only?) client : Jet Air.
And as we all know, they're about to start their own carrier...

That's the main problem with charters, they're too dependant on other companies (namely TO's). If their client has a sound business and is pleased with the service provided, all is well. But in a general recession...

What can Vastapane & Co do if JetAir doesn't renew their contract?

VFlies

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Vance,

The two lonely planes of TUI Belgium will certainly not suffice to cope with the huge demand of the summer months. However they could hurt Sobelair a lot during the winter months.
André
ex Sabena #26567

vflies

Post by vflies »

Probably André, but TUI has repeatedly made it clear that they had the largest leisure fleet in the world, with many AC grounded right now, so I imagine they could expand the fleet of their Belgian carrier quite rapidly, should it be necessary...

VFlies

SN30952

Doesn't that strike a familiar note?

Post by SN30952 »

vflies wrote:More than any court, I believe that Sobelair's fate is in the hands of its main (only?) client : Jet Air. VFlies
That's what I said higher:
Belgian travel agents granted Sabena only 30% of the busuness. Now for a charter company their clients are not travel agents but tour operators. I wonder what % of this market was granted to Sobelair? How much % did the belgian TO's grant Sobelair? My guess 20-25%.
My conclusion would have been: if I as belgian charter operator can only be granted 20-25% of the domestic market, I have to find business outside this market. And secondly, and there is the big mistake, there is something else than flying passengers! There is cargo. The mistake of Sobelair was/is not to tap into that booming market @ Zaventem.
Maybe they considered looking abroad for new markets, maybe without success, or because that line of work was not convenient enough for the ladies and gentlemen? In both cases they are guilty of not persisting. The old reflex of relying on Sabena surfaced again, when the talk was about a merger with SNBA. The easiest way out!
They had to close JNB, where other airlines were adding frequency.
BTW do you know that South Africa is the country where there are the most BELGIAN expats, more than Spain. But it seemed there was no affinity with these in majority Flemish expats, I was told during my last stay. The expats choosed to fly other carriers. Why was that?
The belgian TO's used to be manned by a generation that had to leave in the reshuffles and take overs. The people manning the decision positions now have lets say other affinities. And why should the TO's want to fly themselves, when they could squeeze Sobelair to the max? Because of what, I ask. You seem to want to ignore that in these forums.
If Sabena had had more support of the belgian public, the politicians would not have dared to drop it like they did. But the lack of affinity with the home market and the people of that country, led to what we've seen. Because politicians don't do what is unpopular, because that might hurt themselves.
Both Sabena and Sobelair seem to be sick in the same bed, is a Flemish phrase and I hope not to hurt somebody personally writing this, meaning also same causes same effects.
You don't like to hear this, neither do I. But these in my eyes, are the reasons. Doesn't that strike a familiar note?

sabena4ever

Re: Doesn't that strike a familiar note?

Post by sabena4ever »

Hi
Indeed, it's sad to hear or write what you have wrote!!
Sobelair is the only francophone company here in Belgium.
But nobody wants to help it,....
so, we are talking to the end of Sobelair, and everybody enjoy the new company TUI, N.V.,
The end of Sabena was a shame. Sabena, "c'était la vitrine de la Belgique"
for all belgians.

Remember what a pilote has said the day of the bankruptcy of Sabena....

I 'm very disappointed about what you are thinking
Ciao d sabena4ever

SN30952

Re: Doesn't that strike a familiar note?

Post by SN30952 »

sabena4ever wrote:Hi,
Indeed, it's sad to hear or write what you have wrote!! I 'm very disappointed about what you are thinking Ciao d sabena4ever
Image Truth(s) may hurt....Image But hiding for the facts is no solution... Image