OST 18/05/07

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

westwings

OST 18/05/07

Post by westwings »

First visit to Ostend of a IL-76TD-90VD :mexwave:

Regards,
Kristof Vandermoere

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello,

Today seen at EBOS:
-LTE registration ?
-MK 9G-MKP,MKS
-Volga Dnepr RA-76950 IL76 :shock: :D
-Futura EC-IYS
General aviation:
OO-DCC,D-ECIO

Beautiful pictures westwings !!!

Thanks,
Greetings,
Kristof

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Impressive, that IL-76, and how it is optimised for STOL performance! See those massive slats, and only the slightest part of wing rear edge left for ailerons, to have these really huge flaps descending to what looks like almost 90 degrees! Must be really hard to control on finals, very slow so controls not very effective and than these smallish ailerons, response on the longitudinal axis must be sluggish at best! My heartfelt respects to those pilots!

What is so particular about his model IL-76TD-90VD? More modern engines, likely? Less noise, less fuel burn, more power?

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

Prime advantages of the new IL-76TD-90VD

* Increased commercial payload to 50 tonnes
* New PS-90A-76 engines conform to ICAO noise and emissions requirements
* 15% less fuel burn than the previous version of the IL-76
* Maximum operating range increased to 10,200 km
* Up time increased to 500 hours
* Crew reduced to 4 persons
* New KUPOL-III-76M-VD digital integrated piloting/navigation system installed to ensure conformance with RNP-1 navigation accuracy requirements
* Airport/airfield possible elevation has been increased up to 3000m above sea level
:arrow: 16-05-2006: IL-76TD-90VD to start commercial flights

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Thank you , Sir! That is a fast and complete reply! Seems I guessed right about the improved engines - but I 'm puzzled to read "crew reduced to 4 persons" - were they 9 or so in the previous model? I thought even an A340 and B747 have only 2 persons on the flight deck? Surely the IL76 cant't be more complex to operate? Or is the loadmaster counted with the 4?

Thanks again, though! Or, in my best approximation of your local lingo "Gzihistifbedanktwè!"

Beloxi

Post by Beloxi »

LTE was EC-JRC.

Grtz,
Nik

grnkg

Post by grnkg »

Original crew on an IL-76TD:

1. Captain
2. Flight Engineer
3. Navigator
4. Radio/Translator
5. First Officer
6. Loadmaster
7. Onboard Ground Engineer

Kind regards,
GR.

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

jan_olieslagers wrote:...... "Gzihistifbedanktwè!"
hehe...tiznietzulle..!

As reward I have a nice story from 8 may 1939
If you look very closely to the picture you'l see the red letters : Vladimir Kokkinaki. This was a famous Sovjet aviation hero, test-pilot and world-record holder. The story is about one of his failures.

Moscow to Miscou.

South of Labrador the going got tough. Great clouds stacked up along the course with their bases almost on the water. Hardbitten Vladimir Kokkinaki, Brigadier-General of the Russian Air Force, Hero of the Soviet Union, went on instruments. Higher and higher he climbed his red two-motored bomber, of a type used by Russians fighting for Loyalist Spain. Dirty grey mist still dripped dismally off wing and windshield. Nineteen hours out of Moscow, with all the Atlantic behind him, he was tired. But New York City, his destination, was only five hours' flight ahead.

At 27,000 feet he and his navigator, husky, thin-haired Major Mikhail Gordienko, were using oxygen. Doggedly Hero Kokkinaki held his red ship, the Moskva, on its course. Near sundown, with no sight of sky or sea, his radio was frying with static like a pan of pork chops. Hopelessly lost, he turned Moskva back on its course. Finally with little more than two hours' fuel in the tanks, with oxygen running low, he fainted. Gordienko took over.

It was a long letdown. Moskva finally broke out over a small island. For 45 minutes, wide-mouthed Gordienko circled, looking for a good field. There was none. As night fell he took the best he could find. With wheels up, Moskva porpoised off a knoll, slammed down on her belly just beyond. Kokkinaki came to as the ship shuddered to a stop.

A French-Canadian villager told the tired and shaken Russians where they were by pointing to the spot on their map: Miscou Island, off the coast of New Brunswick, 700 miles short of New York, 3,900 miles from Moscow. Thus, last week after 23 hours and 36 minutes in the air, ended what had come close to being the longest east-west transatlantic flight. At Floyd Bennett Field, N. Y., where a crowd of 5,000 waited in a drizzling rain, a Russian Embassy attachè announced the news when it came in by telegraph. Twelve little girls with garlands of flowers for the transatlantic heroes laid them down and went home.

LeFreak

Post by LeFreak »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Must be really hard to control on finals, very slow so controls not very effective and than these smallish ailerons, response on the longitudinal axis must be sluggish at best! My heartfelt respects to those pilots!
the ailerons are at the end of a large wing, so even though they are relatively small, they create a large moment .. also there are rollspoilers on top of the wing .. i'm pretty sure she flies just fine and without too much effort
viva jumbolino!

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Very nice pics of a very nice russian plane! Really enjoyed it! Only a pity of the sound, the original sounded better... anyway now that they have newer engines we might see them more at EBOS from time to time.

Pics. to uploaded soon.

Best regards: Yannick ;)

AirSmetten

Post by AirSmetten »

Jep it was idd good again at EBOS last friday.
I'll think this will be the visitor of the year :mrgreen:

Love it to see those Russian birds back over here :!:
Today it's hard to imagine that a few years ago some times 10 or more of them were at EBOS at the same time... frustrated :damnit:

Looks like the pilot had to encouter strong crosswinds. He had a really hard time to keep his left mains on the ground.

And who can see the second bird in the shot? :devil:

From my point of view :

Greetings Rick

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Really nice pictures of all of you guys!!! Really nice.

I've some pictures myself as well, certainly not so good as your's but you might like some of them.

You can see them at:

http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/thumbnails.php?album=652

Best regards: Yannick ;)

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

some pictures:

Image Image

pictures made by N226BB