NEw qatar airport two-thirds the size of the city!!!!!!!!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sama91

NEw qatar airport two-thirds the size of the city!!!!!!!!

Post by sama91 »

Qatar is to build the New Doha International Airport (NDIA). The airport will be constructed 4km from the existing facility, on a 5,400-acre site. It is being constructed in response to a projected demand for additional international passenger capacity to the region. The current airport handles 4.2 million passengers per year, whereas the new airport will be able to handle 12.5 million per year after the first phase of construction. The first phase will cost $2.5 billion, while phases two and three are projected to cost an additional $5 billion.

The airport is to be constructed near the city of Doha and, when finished, will be approximately two-thirds the size of the city. It is being built for Qatar Civil Aviation Authority (QCAA). During the construction process, the old airport is being expanded and refurbished at a cost of $140 million. This to increase its capacity to 7.2 million passengers per year for the interim period before the new airport takes over.

This is crazy...... just a waste of all the oil money.....

yabu

Post by yabu »

Looks nice but i agree there crazy

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I thought alcohol was illegal in most middle east countries. Apparently the idiot that came up with this idea was drunk :laugh: :lol: :lol:

Airport 2/3 the size of the city :lol: :lol:
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

sama91

Post by sama91 »

hahahhahahah............... yeh i know these people are nutz.......... qatar doesn't even have enough tourism intake......... whts da point??/ lol

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

I don't get the 2/3rd the size of the city comparison, but i would feel 12.5 million passengers per year for Doha is doable. I don't really know which numbers to trust but Wikipedia says DOH handled 9.4 million passengers in 2005. I'm pretty sure they were already opeating above capacity, had an absolute nightmare of an experience in Sep last year connecting to MAN.
Qatar doesn't have a big tourism industry but most of its traffic consists of passengers with onward connections. The airport seems almost 80% Qatar Airways anyway.[/url]

sama91

Post by sama91 »

yeh u ur right ^^^^^^^^^^^^............ qatar they only doing this to compare them selves to dubai.....

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

ryanCX wrote:I don't get the 2/3rd the size of the city comparison, but i would feel 12.5 million passengers per year for Doha is doable. I don't really know which numbers to trust but Wikipedia says DOH handled 9.4 million passengers in 2005. I'm pretty sure they were already opeating above capacity, had an absolute nightmare of an experience in Sep last year connecting to MAN.
Qatar doesn't have a big tourism industry but most of its traffic consists of passengers with onward connections. The airport seems almost 80% Qatar Airways anyway.[/url]
Wikipedia is more often than not, a bad joke :lol: :lol:

To build a facility like this without the local customer base to support it is stupid. If they are building this thing and are counting on the traffic of connecting passengers to support it, it is doomed to failure. They only have to look to the USA for examples of large hub airports in cities without the population/customer base to support such operations. Most of them have failed! Relying on connecting traffic exposes the airport to the ups and downs airline travel much more than if they relied on a large local customer base. This is a total waste of money!
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

regi

Post by regi »

what was Dubai 15 years ago?

sama91

Post by sama91 »

hahahahaah..................... dubai was dessert......... now look at it......... its all cuz of da oil n oil n oil.

sama91

Post by sama91 »

thanx for teh pic 'yabo'

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Well I just was at old Doha airport this Sunday morning 6 May between 00.00 and 02.00. This airport is a hub between Europe and Asia. There were a lot of planes on the tarmac. Boarding and unloading planes is done through busing.

They have recently refurbished the airport and built a dedicated business/first class terminal in which I spent the two hours. The huge business class was full. They surely need a new airport with ramp access to the planes.

sama91

Post by sama91 »

yeh........ i was in Doha couple of weeks ago and yeh ur right the business class lunge stays pretty busy. but i wonder.... dat dubai is a huge competior for doha....... dis will show us the real middle east hub... doha or dubai

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

sama91 wrote:yeh........ i was in Doha couple of weeks ago and yeh ur right the business class lunge stays pretty busy. but i wonder.... dat dubai is a huge competior for doha....... dis will show us the real middle east hub... doha or dubai
Dubai is indeed 'the' hub. Clever strategy. Great airport between Europe, Africa, India, Pakistan, Iran, Saudi.. Great city marketing.
Money well spent.
And already building the new, biggest airport in the world. (Jebel Ali)

In my opinion, Doha will be the honorable second hub in the M.E.
Indeed their present airport is very busy. The city is boring.
Money well spent as well.

Bahrain, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Muscat play in another league.

sama91

Post by sama91 »

well......... once Dubai has built there new airport whats gonna happen to the old one???????? I heard that they might convert into a terminal only for emirates or somthin.......... but dat would be stupid