Fire crew strike halts all flights at BRU - strike ended

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

dna

Fire crew strike halts all flights at BRU - strike ended

Post by dna »

Spontaneous strike action by the Brussels Airport fire department has led to the suspension of all flights from 6am. The airport remains open, but most airlines prefer not to fly with no firefighting services available. The strike is over "poor people management" by Brussels airport, according to a trade union official.

Nice one guys, to go on strike without any prior notice. So much for good people management!

janhuub

Post by janhuub »

The Airport remains open, but there are no fire fighters available. How do they manage that?

Greetz

Jan

744rules

Post by 744rules »

only 2 ambulances available.

Crews can land/take-off, but it's their own responsablility. This is if company policy allows.

At this times (0915lt) strike will last till 1000lt.

Numerous flights cancelled/diverted.
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

I suppose that BRU remains open at a lower fire category. Pilots and airlines can use the infrastructure but the emergency services available are less or nonexistent. Using the airport under these circumstances is something most airlines won't do.
Nice one guys, to go on strike without any prior notice. So much for good people management!
Don't get on their case about this. Sometimes a strike is the only way to get management's attention. I saw what happened when the management of BRU was privatised (RLW/RVA -> BIAC) and I am not sure that it was a good thing. Especially the 'airside safety' side of things is not something that benefits from privatisation.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

So once again, thousands of passengers are used as hostage, just to get a salary increase. Shame on them.

And shame on all those who will say they understand this action. There is not a single reason why passengers may be used as playball in a syndical action.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Aldgate wrote:Sometimes a strike is the only way to get management's attention.
Yes, but as long as it is announced with a sufficient notice in order for travellers and airlines to make alternative arrangements. Here they are taken as hostages and could incur substantial losses through no fault on their part. Unacceptable!
André
ex Sabena #26567

dna

Post by dna »

Don't get on their case about this.
My point was that I find unannounced strikes completely out of order. Thousands of people are being held hostage. Is it so much to ask for prior notice to be given?

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

I don't want to start a discussion about striking, announced or unannounced. I just know that the situation is a lot more complicated than we can asses from outside of the company. We have no idea how the people of the fire department and airport safety are treated by their management.
I understand that it is not fair to the passengers and i agree that a well planned and announced strike would be a lot more manageable.
I think that a discussion about the place of airside safety and rescue services in a private company could be more interesting. (maybe in another thread?) To the managers these services only cost them money. They forget sometimes how essential they are.

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Aldgate wrote: Don't get on their case about this. Sometimes a strike is the only way to get management's attention.
This is just an outrage!!! on one of the busiest weekends of the year until now, they pull a stunt like that.
Is it the airlines fault? NO, is it the pax fault: NO
Then why on earth do they have to suffer for an internal struggle at brussels airport.
Really, this puts Belgium right on the top of aviation again :evil:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Just listened to the radio, might take a few more hours before the dispute is solved.

Guess I am not the only one to look at arrivals and departures, http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/flightinfo/arrivals/ takes ages to load.... :?

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

JAFflyer wrote:...
This is just an outrage!!!
Yes indeed.
Fireman are people too, did you ask them about their outrage ?

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

ElcoB wrote:
JAFflyer wrote:...
This is just an outrage!!!
Yes indeed.
Fireman are people too, did you ask them about their outrage ?
I have total respect for firemen and their work. But for a stunt like this, I have no respect whatsoever. This is just low and selcentered. Thousands of pax, thousands of euros for the airlines... I'm sorry but nothing can justify that, especially not the timing and the lack of announcing of this action.

regi

Post by regi »

Why is it that you don't see strikes in companies where they donate bonusses for "good work" at the end of the year?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:Guess I am not the only one to look at arrivals and departures, http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/flightinfo/arrivals/ takes ages to load.... :?
Is the webmaster of Brussels Airport also considered as safety personnel and on strike? I never managed to reach the site.

A good alternative is to look at the teletext on VRT http://tt.vrt.be/tt_een.php?p=380/1&g=0&s=0&r=0&x=1
or RTBF http://www.rtbf.be/teletexte/index.htm (pages 597-598)
Last edited by sn26567 on 13 Apr 2007, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

May I add that it's not only fire brigade who's on strike.... also Security is on strike.

Tompompier

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Just seen the Brussels Airport site and there is sheer chaos. The site just crashed as well! Another great day for Belgian aviation! :?

Emirates

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Aldgate wrote:We have no idea how the people of the fire department and airport safety are treated by their management.
What we have an idea about is that they don't risk anything.
People working in private company risk their job if the strike harms too much the company they work for.
Not so for those employed in a public administration; the fire department won't go bankrupt ! And the firemen will get a strike pay from the union. And a day off, with a very fine weather to enjoy !
Thus, all the disagreement will be for the paying passengers, once more.
(By the way, is it a "force majeure" for the airlines ?)

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Emirates wrote:Just seen the Brussels Airport site and there is sheer chaos. The site just crashed as well! Another great day for Belgian aviation! :?

Emirates
ooh well, it's Friday the 13th ;)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:By the way, is it a "force majeure" for the airlines?
Yes!
André
ex Sabena #26567

suppie

Post by suppie »

Just heard that DL124 got clearance to depart from AMS so it seems they start to work again :wink: