US to get A340 for PHX to EU and PHL to EU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cageyjames

US to get A340 for PHX to EU and PHL to EU

Post by cageyjames »

Well the point that everyone has been waiting for is just about here (that is a US flag carrier flying the A340).

US will be acquiring A345s (and possibly A343s) to start service from PHX to TLV and possible PHX to LHR (of course things will have to happen for that to become a possibility so I suspect it will be LGW). In addition PHX to FRA will be run but might get axed if US gets PHL to China. Depending on the amount of aircraft acquired, PHL to TLV and PHL to SVO might also start up as well as help PHL to FCO and PHL to ATH in the hot summer months. (PHL to HNL was also mentioned)

These aircraft will go on the new joint operating certificate. The key here is now the A340s will come no matter what happens with China. Also note that no international service will be announced from CLT. What service exists will continue, but PHL and PHX will become the international gateways.

Expect the widebody and narrowbody order to go through at the end of the month as expected, with no mention of which way US is leaning (other than that US apparently has slots reserved for the 787 if we were to go that route). I'm not sure how this A340 news will plan into the widebody order which until this week was looking like it might go Boeing (I can't imagine how Boeing could take the narrowbody order given how committed we are to the A320).
US Airways - Fly with US

achace

Post by achace »

So CageyJames, maybe after reading the weight distribution item, US may opt for a beach theme in First and Business and go for deckchairs to solve the CG problem.

:shock: Cheers
Achace

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

achace wrote:So CageyJames, maybe after reading the weight distribution item, US may opt for a beach theme in First and Business and go for deckchairs to solve the CG problem.
That might be an upgrade of our current first class. I know we already have the plastic forks and cups ready to go.... :wink:
US Airways - Fly with US

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Is the PHX-BRU route planned?

Best regards,

Mat

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

Probably only PHL-BRU... Maybe you'll see some A333s if we start using the A343 on longer routes to eastern europe.
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

So let me get this right, we are actually, finally going to see the 4 engine bird in US colors?

If so, great news. Just wish it were the A340-600. Thats a great looking bird!
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Interesting... Why the A340 and not the 777? The T7s are twinjets, which is a general advantage concerning fuel efficiency.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I know US had A340's on order in the past. I believe those were A340-500's placed back in the late 1990's. Is curious though that they are going with a 4 engine jet over a 2 engine jet. Maybe its the availability thing, dont know.
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

CX

Post by CX »

achace wrote:So CageyJames, maybe after reading the weight distribution item, US may opt for a beach theme in First and Business and go for deckchairs to solve the CG problem.

:shock: Cheers
Achace
The CG problem (if it is really a problem) is only with the A346s.

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

This is great news! I'm sure the A340 (-500 and/or -300) will look amazing in US colors.

It will be great to see US expand international service out of PHX, which has been desperately needed for several years. I know it is frustrating for Phoenix passengers to have to make a connection on to an international flight when they live in one of the nation's largest cities.

Alright US, you're expanding internationally. Now let's think domestic for a moment. Please bring service to Green Bay. I beg you! :lol:
Onward and Upward...

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

fokker_f27 wrote:Interesting... Why the A340 and not the 777? The T7s are twinjets, which is a general advantage concerning fuel efficiency.
There are two rumors going on internally.

1. Airbus is subsidizing these so that US will order the A350 and A320 at the end of the month.

2. Boeing is leasing A340s to US so that US will order the 787 and 737 at the end of the month.

Either way I'm sure US will get a good deal.
US Airways - Fly with US

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

cageyjames wrote:
That might be an upgrade of our current first class. I know we already have the plastic forks and cups ready to go.... :wink:
I assume that US has choses the classy, mylar plated plastic utensels?

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

smokejumper wrote:I assume that US has choses the classy, mylar plated plastic utensels?
I think we get ours out of the trash can out back behind the local McDonalds.
US Airways - Fly with US