Economy Seats; Which Airlines are best...?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

JoeCanuck

Economy Seats; Which Airlines are best...?

Post by JoeCanuck »

In the past 3 years since I've been working in the middle east, I've flown on a lot of planes, mostly in goat class. I've noticed some huge differences in what I consider to be the most important criterium in a good flight; seats.

It really struck me the other day when I was flying into Odessa, Ukraine, on Ukrainian Airlines International. The plane, (734 UA-GAL, I think), was obviously used, (possibly spanish writing on interior). Nothing fancy here; square, boring looking leather seats, (a very basic interior overall)....but DANG...these were the most comfortable eco seats I've ever had the pleasure to sink my butt into. Granted it's only a 2 hour flight, (VIE-ODS), but it's enough to get a good idea.

I've been in the air a lot lately so this comparison just sprung to....er.....mind. To put the seat issue into perspective, I'm 6'1", 250 lbs. Smaller folk, (or even larger, if they're out there), may have a different viewpoint.

Here's a short ratings list;

UAI 737-400 - Very comfortable. A real shocker.
SIA 777 - Comfortable
LH 340 - Like sitting on cement
AC 330 - Tolerable
Jazz CRJ 200 - Teeny
Emirates 330 - Look comfy but really aren't.
Austrian 737-800 - Comfortable

These are the planes I've flown on the the past couple of months so the data is fresh. Feel free to add your own. Thanks.

bkonner

Post by bkonner »

Howdy,

Jetblue on their A320 from rows 13 to 25 offer 34 inches (seat pitch) while rows 1 to 12 offer 32 inches. Jetblue is GREAT!

Bill

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Here's my piece:

BA 146/RJ Ok but wouldn't want to be on for longer than 1 hour.

BA Airbus 320/321 Great leather lots of room.

MAS 747 Pretty harsh, never flown eco with them since.

Cathay Pacific A330, very small and thin.

Ryanair 737, good and felt quite roomy.

Jetstar 717, good pitch and comfy.

SN Brussels, 146/RJ tight uncomfortable and many times seats have been broken/colapsed.

Alitalia, MD82 International was not great bit dirty and small, domestic planes were much better though.

Thai 747, fairly small seat although legroom was ok.

Easyjet 737, small seat no legroom, but ok for very short hops!

Emirates 777-300, good eco seat, leg rest and quite wide seat best eco ride I've ever had actually.

I have a few others airlines but I have been lucky enough to be sitting at the front of those. If I think of any more eco ones i'll add them.

Emirates
Last edited by speedbird1 on 01 May 2006, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

alexke

comfy economy seats

Post by alexke »

airbus a 320 air mauritius, economy is great, very spacious seats i didn't measure the pitch between seats but there is a lot of space! meals are great and the service even better!!

earthman

Post by earthman »

• KLM 737-300/400. Legroom ok, seats could be a bit more comfortable. Try not to get seated next to men (or women with wide shoulders).
  • Transavia 737-700/800. Legroom non-existent, I think they have a seat pitch of 29" or so. Otherwise, seats appear to be the same as the KLM ones, except for the headphone jacks. Don't know if their new interior colors came with some new seat model.
  • LOT E-170. Comfy leather seats, plenty of legroom. Seat width also appears to be a lot better than the 737. Foldable flaps at the head side to lean against (but some are already broken, not staying in place). Too bad the cabin is noisy. I also had a skewed table once. Weren't these very new planes? They should do a bit more maintenance of their interior.

hakan

Post by hakan »

My experience:

# SIA 747 OK
# SIA 777 comfortable
#THY 310 average
#Qantas 747 below average
#THY A340 better than Qantas 747
# Qantas 737 comfortable.

loadmaster747

Post by loadmaster747 »

Here's my favourite (actual)airliners in economy class,otherwise would be different including defunct airlines.

ICELANDAIR B757 Very good

TURKISH AIRLINES A310 Very good

TURKISH AIRLINES B737 Good

CX

Post by CX »

My experience
2005/2006
SIA 772ER/773 - very good legroom but maybe due to the wear and the seats are 'thin', it feels hard
SIA 744 - legroom is OK but not used to the old-styled overhead compartment because it makes the ceiling so low...

CX 343 - quite squashed but OK
QF 333 - very squashed
QF 744 - quite good
QF 763 - quite good, just old - getting replaced by 787s soon?
DragonAir 333 - quite good
DragonAir 320 - quite good, better than expected for such a small plane

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Ok, here's my list:

AA MD-80: Okay, good enough leg room
DL MD-80: Okay with small leg room, I'm 5'10" and I felt the leg room is small, can't imagine those who are over 6 feet tall
CO B737's: Okay, with good leg room
NW A319: Okay, with decent leg room
UA B737: Okay, with decent leg room
CX B744: Okay, good leg room and overhead room
US B767: Okay, with decent leg room
US E-170: Narrower since it's regional jet, but decent leg room, which was a surprise to me
US B737: Okay, with decent leg room
US A320 family: Okay with decent leg room
Southwest B737: the newer seats are better. The old ones have smaller leg rooms and some rows have your back facing others' back, not sure why, thus you can't recline in those seats. Plus, you're facing other people, which shrank the leg room as you don't want to touch legs/feet with the other guy/gal facing you. The newer seats are leathered and have more leg room, and they've gotton rid of those back-to-back seats.

To me, economy seats of these airlines are about the same, but Delta has very bad leg room. If you're tall, don't even try DL. Obviously, leg room is very important to me.

CXRules

Post by CXRules »

Oh, couple more:

AC A320: okay with decent leg room, just like any other A320 in my opinion that I flew

For the US B767 that I flew last month, the plane is in brand new color scheme (the newly merged US Airways), but inside, it's like at least 10 years old. The seats are worn out, everything looks old. I guess that's what you get by flying an airline just got out of bankruptcy.

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

BA 767 32 inch pitch.
I am 6 foot 1 and had more than enough room. Very comfy and good adjustable headrest and footrest good for smaller people.

Edit:I think other BA long haul aircraft have 31 inch pitch.
Last edited by vc-10 on 28 Apr 2006, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

These are the aircraft I still remember. Many I have flown on I can't remember very good.

-Continental Express Embraer Erj-145/XR Amazon: The seats are very soft and comfortable for some people, but if your'e taller then about 6 feet, the cabin may be to small. Seats slightly worn out. Slightly. Of course, leg room is limited.

-Continental Airlines Boeing 767-400ER and Boeing 737-700: The seats are like rock on all large Continental aircraft. At least there are Ptv's that kind of make up on the 767. No wear on these tough. Legroom is standard. They make your rear soar tough.

-KLM Cityhopper Fokker F27-050 and Fokker F28-070: The seats aren't quite as soft as the Amazon's, but the seats and the cabin are larger. The seats are also more work then the Amazon's, too. Legroom is standard.

-KLM Boeing 747-200 (SUD) : Even tough the very old cabin and poor IFE, The seats where wider then most other aircraft I have flown on. Legroom was also fairly nice.

-United Boeing 737-300: These where without doubt the worst seats I've ever been in: hard, worn, old, and make your rear soar. Poor legroom, too.

-United Boeing 777-200ER and Boeing 767-300 3-class: The seats have a lot in common with the Continental seats as for comfort. The 777 off course was nicer then the 767 because of it being newer. Both had Ptvs, and seats where (seemed) softer then Continental's.

-British Airways Boeing 747-400: Seemed a lot like a KLM 747-300, but newer. British Airways off course is a fairly chique airline. Seats where new and wide, legroom was also good. Very interesting trey table.

-British Airways Boeing 737-200: Seats where narrow in this one. Also, I didn't feel very safe in this old plane: everything was shaking. Visible. Seats where kind of hard and legroom was so-so.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

Don't worry, I think all 737-200s shake a bit.
Talking of which, the Cayman Airways one that I went on was good, seats comfy enough for a 1 hour flight and lots of legroom, but as on both flights we had the row infront of the overwing exit, the seats didn't recline.

regi

Post by regi »

An old leather seat in China Airlines business class was just fine. Just like a club sofa.
Gulf air eco is okay because of the 34"
Emirates eco is too narrow.
Best eco seat ever: the recaro seats in the Swissair MD-11 eco.
The absolute worst? SNBA Avro : too narrow, too small, too much nothing.
Closely followed by the 31" eco seat of BA with an "entertainment" box next to my feet.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

AirIndia is good. Spacious

Air Sahara is good. Leather :wink:

Indian Airlines is good. Comfortable
Aum Sweet Aum.

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

After I flew for almost ten hours in a KLM MD-11 I must say that the comfort was good and legroom enough for a man like me who is 6 feet 2.
We asked fo a seat at the left side of the plane were there are only 2 seats abreast.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

chunk

Post by chunk »

Interesting topic....

KLM B733/734 - seats are ok but depends where you are on the plane with regard to legroom. Near the front of Economy is fine, near the back is grim. MD-11 - fairly horrible, tight for space and very old and uncomfortable. B767 - see MD11. B744 is ok if you have the newer seats but again it depends on the place in the plane you get! B777 - not bad at all with the great IFE screens. F100's seem to have nice legroom though old seats from what I recall. I'll let you know about the A330 and F70 in the next couple of weeks.....

BA B734 - Comfy enough but a bit hard and you seem to be a bit high up! B757 is ok but similar. B777 - pretty uncomfortable, tight for space. Not sure about B744 as not been on for a while - and dont plan to be. ERJ-145 - are these ever comfortable??

Continental (all aircraft) - As someone stated earlier these are rock hard. File under hideously uncomfortable.

NWA (A330) - not exactly luxury, marginally better than CO's

Emirates - B777 has good legroom though deat is marginally narrower - not too bad and I am large! A332 - average airline seat....not bad, not great. A310 - cramped with crappy screens - out of date.

Gulf Air - B767 - seemed cramped to me, A320 was average as was A340-200.

Air France - A320 - ok seat, comfortable enough for 2 hours. Trouble was myflight was 4! A330-200 - comforatble enough with mediocre PTV system. F70 was ok but a bit tight.....better than the ERJ-145 though!

BMI - A320 and A319 - comfy enough with OK legroom

Malaysian - Lot of legroom but seat seemed a little narrow....PTV system average.

SAA - Upstairs on teh B744 is the best economy seat for me anywhere. Good legroom, wide enough and an OK PTV system wins it!

Tjipke

Post by Tjipke »

My worst experience in Y-class has been with SAA on a nonstop flight from Frankfurt to Capetown in an airbus 340-600 :cry:
My poor ass has been tortured for 12 hours and 30 minutes :roll: and next to your feet you can find this fantastic box for your personal video system :evil:
As most off these flights are during nighttime, I personally do not care about having my own videoscreen and all I'd like to do is to relax and get some sleep on this long flight. :roll:
I must agree they were the cheapest on this route.

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Good : -Air Mauritius B767
-Surinam MD-87
-Klm Fokker F50
and terrible Virgin express and KLM B747-400
Mirror

aaron max

Re: Economy Seats; Which Airlines are best...?

Post by aaron max »

Hey everyone, PM kisan status
When it comes to economy seats, the best airlines prioritize comfort without breaking the bank. Look for carriers that offer ample legroom, adjustable headrests, and quality seat padding. Airlines like Singapore Airlines, Emirates, and Delta consistently receive positive reviews for their comfortable economy seating, enhancing the overall travel experience.