Dutch F-16's intercept a B737 of SAS near Dachten (NL)

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SN_Bigbirdy

Dutch F-16's intercept a B737 of SAS near Dachten (NL)

Post by SN_Bigbirdy »

2 Dutch F-16s intercepted Thursday evening (17th February) a SAS B737 which was flying from Malaga to Oslo. ATC could not make contact with the plane, or the crew could not take contact with ATC. Under the supervision of Operations and Control Station Nieuw Milligen the 2 jets were sent to the Boeing to identify and to make contact with the crew.

Near Drachten (NL), the two jets went through the sound barrier on a high altitude causing a sonic boom. After the contact was restored, the two jets flew back to their homebase.

source : http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=12430

Can anybody tell me what exactly is a sonic boom and do you only need to go through the sound barrier to create that...?

Simon
If you can count the blades of my engines while they work, you are too close to be save
My pictures @ Jetphotos.net: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=10039

earthman

Post by earthman »

SN_Bigbirdy

Post by SN_Bigbirdy »

Thanks for the quick replay Earthman, but I can't find in the text how the sonic boom restores the communication between two parties (cfr. ATC and aircraft). Or has this event nothing to do with communication?

Simon
If you can count the blades of my engines while they work, you are too close to be save
My pictures @ Jetphotos.net: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=10039

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

A sonic boom is just when you are going faster then the speed of sound, the reason they mention it is because it's quite special (and makes a lot of noise :P ). Has nothing to do with communication
Tot hier en verder

SN_Bigbirdy

Post by SN_Bigbirdy »

Near Drachten (NL), the two jets went through the sound barrier on a high altitude causing a sonic boom. After the contact was restored, the two jets flew back to their homebase.
Ah okay, then was the text on luchtvaartnieuws.nl a littlebit confusing (see quote, translated litteraly) because I first thought that they went throught the sound barrier and they restored the contact by doing that :p

Thanks for all the info guys!

Simon

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

SN_Bigbirdy wrote:
Ah okay, then was the text on luchtvaartnieuws.nl a littlebit confusing (see quote, translated litteraly) because I first thought that they went throught the sound barrier and they restored the contact by doing that :p

Thanks for all the info guys!

Simon
Negative, mostly they do that by flying next to the aircraft to check the situation and then they put on their TCAS (which makes an "alarm" go off in the cockpit)
Tot hier en verder

earthman

Post by earthman »

The sonic boom going through the cockpit will wake up those pilots for sure!

BerendBotje

Post by BerendBotje »

Hi Guys and Girls, :wink:

I'm new on this forum and was a bit browsing when finding this topic.
I've recorded the the interception of the SAS Braathens on 121.500. klik :)

Grtz David

edit: Girls
Last edited by BerendBotje on 21 Apr 2006, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Interesting audio. Thanks, BerendBotje.

loadmaster747

Post by loadmaster747 »

In fact, very interesting conversation (good & clear sound quality)
Thanks for sharing BerendBotje (welcome on Luchtzak)

By the way, how did you record this conversation?

Brgds
Dursun

BerendBotje

Post by BerendBotje »

loadmaster747 wrote:In fact, very interesting conversation (good & clear sound quality)
Thanks for sharing BerendBotje (welcome on Luchtzak)

By the way, how did you record this conversation?

Brgds
Dursun
Thanx.

I've got my scanner connected to a good outside antenna streaming on ATCBOX (DutchMil) and record the stream 24/7 on a PC. I guess this recording was a lucky one, but a very nice one indeed.

Grtz David

PS: There are some on my www below.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Hello, this might sound like a stupid question but exactly how much noise does a sonic boom make? I ask the question because I know planes are generally not allowed to fly supersonic in crowded areas due to the noise. But if a plane flying at fl 350 causes that much noise, it must be REALLY loud!

greetings,
bAIR

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

+200 decibels (210 according to the link on wikipedia).

Try this video: listen to the guys talking and try to imagine how load it would be...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 06&pl=true

One remark: a sonic boom is not an explosion you hear once they go supersonic, the sonic boom is the sound of the sudden compression in the shockwave (like when you clap your hands but at a much higher energy level). As long as the aircraft is supersonic, the shockwave is present, and the sonic boom follows the aircraft.