Stupid Questions and Comments

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
ryanvsnow

Stupid Questions and Comments

Post by ryanvsnow »

The one thing I hate about the airport is the Stupid Questions that people ask and the comments they make.

Here I'd like to share a few with you and hear some of yours.
Last edited by ryanvsnow on 17 May 2005, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

Today I realized how dumb people are. On D-4 we had a flight boarding to LEX (LEXINGTON, KY). The gate agent was made her boarding anouncement for LEX. The pax boarded for LEX. They walk out side to find only ONE A/C anywhere near the gate. I had 7 people ask, "Is this the plane for Lexington?"

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

I was on a flight from Phoenix, AZ to Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN last February. We had some strong tailwinds and we got to MSP 45 minutes early. Needless to say, there wasn't a gate avilable for us yet so we had to wait for a while.

This isn't a question but a statement that a woman sitting behind me said after the captain's announcement. She said, "What do you expect from Northwest"? This made me very mad. We got to MSP EARLY. Last time I checked that was a good thing. This woman was obviously an idiot. Just shows you how dumb some people are.

BTW: this was a really great topic idea. :thumbsup2:
Onward and Upward...

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

nwa757 wrote: BTW: this was a really great topic idea. :thumbsup2:
Thanks I hope it'll become popular, maybe the general puplic could read it and think before they speak.

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I love how at check in, they ask you out in the open if you have any weapons. You know, just to catch the first-time really nyeve terrorist?

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

I love the fact that its obvious that a small regional jet has its cargo space in the rear and people still ask if their carry-on doesn't fit if we could put it underneath. I respond with "mo but I can put it in the back for you". They still get caught of guard with it.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

:rock: Great Topic ryanvsnow. Ur crowned KING of the TOPICS. :wink:

A personal experience of mine was to travel business class with British Airways with my bossess. I remember in the airline travel industry, upgrades happen. During the queue in check in, i could hear an old woman ranting and screaming to the top of her voice to be upgraded to first class, just because another paid economy passenger had to be upgraded to a first class. She justified that she too was a paid passenger and should be upgraded if that man could be. To which i clearly remember that the man suggested to the lady that FIRST CLASS is not just a BOARDING PASS, it is a WAY OF LIFE :wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

SN30952

"Is this the plane for...."

Post by SN30952 »

ryanvsnow wrote:Today I realized how dumb people are. On D-4 we had a flight boarding to LEX (LEXINGTON, KY). The gate agent was made her boarding anouncement for LEX. The pax boarded for LEX. They walk out side to find only ONE A/C anywhere near the gate. I had 7 people ask, "Is this the plane for Lexington?"
That's what many passengers asked when boarding the plane to Turkey or Bangkok in Amsterdam lately.... :wink:

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

Advisor wrote::rock: Great Topic ryanvsnow. Ur crowned KING of the TOPICS.
Why Mr.Advisor, thank you for the complement :banana: :banana: :banana:

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Not too many stupid questions here, but a lot of plain stupid remarks. I overheard people telling each other that they flew Pan Am or so, and the flight was operated by a UA code-share.Or people that tell other people that a 747 is designated that way, because it has 4 engines. What will these people think when they see that they flew a B787....... :P

heathrow

Post by heathrow »

I like it when people are sitting in the gate area, and I can hear "I wonder if thats the British Airways plane that WE'LL be on? There is a second flight you know.... LOOK AROUND!! DO YOU SEE ANOTHER PLANE WITH BRITISH AIRWAYS WRITTEN ON IT? NO? THEN THAT'S IT!!!

earthman

Post by earthman »

I was in Philadelphia, waiting to get on my plane (US) to San Francisco. The gate attendant started to announce that the flight to Houston is boarding now. Oops, sorry, that would be the flight to San Francisco. Of course everybody already jumped up and started to check whether they were really at the right gate.

When the plane finally landed, one of the crew (I think it was actually one of the pilots) started to announce 'Welcome to Los Angeles...'. Right. I thought they were supposed to know where they're flying to? It was dark and I had never been in either LA or SF so I couldn't really be sure. Fortunately it was SF; the announcer laughed a bit, apologized and said welcome to San Francisco.

A while ago some lady managed to get on the plane to Hong Kong instead of the one to Sydney. She only found out when she landed.

All I'm saying is that sometimes it's not such a completely ridiculous idea to ask whether this is really the right plane.

Anyway, next time you hear something stupid at the gate, remember, 50% of the population has an IQ below 100. Some would still ask if it's the right plane even if it were the only plane on the whole airport, and the only plane scheduled to depart that day.

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Most people are stressed before and during the flight, it's not their natural environment. Most of their remarks or questions are not that stupid if you put them in the context. Usually the most stupid questions come from people who think they know something about aviation. The best I ever heard: a man (on the jumpseat) was explaining to the captain how well he knew the 737. But that little door above the captain's head he had never seen. The captain explains you can find the escape rope behind it and how to use the escape rope. Suddenly the passenger asks at what altitude they are flying. Answer 35.000'. The man very serious "how do you get such a long rope in there?"

greetz
Last edited by 1V1 on 17 May 2005, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

This may sound stupid but when I board as a pax I always check twice if it's the correct gate. And sometimes ask the rampagent. Why? Because just too often you get a loadsheet with mistakes, or for another destination, I've even had once a rampagent asking me what our destination was.

Thanks I hope it'll become popular, maybe the general puplic could read it and think before they speak.

I hope the "professionals" also will read it.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

ryanvsnow wrote:
Advisor wrote::rock: Great Topic ryanvsnow. Ur crowned KING of the TOPICS.
Why Mr.Advisor, thank you for the complement :banana: :banana: :banana:
U are always welcome. Wish somebody would crown me. KING of JUTTING IN ALL TOPICS 8)
Aum Sweet Aum.

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

O/k. so this isn't a stupid question either but more or less an observation.

Just yesterday We had a PSA Canadair 700 come in from PNS with a security issue on board. A gentleman (O.k. a JERK) had a few drinks before his flight. While in flight the F/A refused to serve him alcohol because she felt that he had enough already. This PAX got irate. When the A/C got to the gate the Police went onboard to access the situation. I don't know how it happened but the man fas cuffed on both hands and feet, hog-tied and carried out. I don't think he'll be flying anytime soon.

lowflyby

Post by lowflyby »

That has happend when I was flying an ATR72 out of CLT to ATL. There was a gentleman on the aircraft that had run through security screaming about that he had a gun and he was going to kill himself. Well the airport police couldn't find them and he ended up on my plane....the captain call me before we left and asked if the man was on the plane (which he was) and we had to call airport police to get him off!! It wasn't pretty!!

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

At CLT we close down the ramp (clear it of PAX and ramp personnel) when we have a lightning strike within one mile of the airport. We had one on Saturday. I recall a woman saying to me "thats stupid to shut down like this, its not that bad out side" My response was "Forgive me for not wanting to die for you luggage."

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

One night while working a Canadair 200 to OAJ we had to pull of about 2 or 3 bags because we were over weight. I pulled the first bags I could get to. These were normal sized roller-backs, probably black in color, nothing special about them. A black woman on the A/C became confused to see he bag being pulled of the A/C. I, the Ramp Supervisor, went onboard to explain the situation. This woman, being the only black passenger on that flight, screamed at me because she believed her bag was pulled because she was black. I wanted to tell her that I knew she was black by the type of luggage she had, as if white people carry different color luggage.

lowflyby

Post by lowflyby »

I really believe that some people check their bags and their brains at the same time!!