Red Dragon Hawk XX172

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

birdlike

Red Dragon Hawk XX172

Post by birdlike »

I have just finished this painting of RAF's Hawk and I am looking for some info about this paint scheme. Anyone know what was the reason of this unusual dragon on both sides of this Hawk? Also any other info about squadron, where based, and years that this trainer worn dragon paint scheme which seams that does not exist anymore.

http://www.birdlike.com/gallery/aviatio ... k_T1_XX172

I appreciate your help

Greg

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

Greg stunning work, as usual. I enjoy looking at the prints that you do. Sorry that I can give you the info that you're looking for. I'm ignorant when it come to military A/C. Infact this is the first time I've visited this section of the forum. In other notes I did add your website to my favorites list today. keep it coming.

birdlike

Post by birdlike »

ryanvsnow,

Once again thanks for kind comments and for adding me to you favorite list. I am planning to paint lot more so I hope you will be not disappointed:)

Best regards,
Greg
www.birdlike.com

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

Don't plan to be Greg

EGTE

Post by EGTE »

The aircraft was painted with the dragon whilst it was a station "hack" at RAF St. Athan in Wales - hence the Welsh dragon.
XX172 was used to pick up/return pilots who were flying aircraft back to their units after maintenance.

ryanvsnow

Post by ryanvsnow »

EGTE wrote:The aircraft was painted with the dragon whilst it was a station "hack" at RAF St. Athan in Wales - hence the Welsh dragon.
XX172 was used to pick up/return pilots who were flying aircraft back to their units after maintenance.
Very fascinating. Were you a pilot your self or just an enthousioust with a vast knowledge?