VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker

Re: VTM Telefacts 24th Sept: "Ryanair's tricks"

Post by Flanker »

Ryanair offers cheap tickets. In return, you have to work by their system.
If you think that it's unfair, you can fly SN or other airlines, where the fares are blunt daylight r*pe.

"I don't fly Ryanair" is a snob attitude, and being a snob costs money.
Not everyone can afford to be a snob, especially us backpackers, armchair ceo's and regular people.

Why bother replying for 5 pages? Let them be what they are, otherwise you are the same as they are, if not more.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

teddybAIR wrote:
airazurxtror wrote:
teddybAIR wrote: to date I have not yet flown them.
... which does not prevent you from having a forceful opinion about them ! :lol:
So?
So, it's like criticizing a book without having read it, or a restaurant without having eaten there.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:So, it's like criticizing a book without having read it, or a restaurant without having eaten there.
Or commenting how good (or bad) the 787 is, without ever having flown with it.

Or commenting on Korongo Airlines, without ever having flown with them - let alone having visited Kinshasa airport, Lubumbashi airport, etc.

Or commenting on Brussels Airlines Board and/or Executive Committe, without ever having attended one single meeting there.

No, let's remain serious please: this is a public forum so there is freedom of speech for all (if you respect the forum rules). If you don't like this principle, then stay away here.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

airazurxtror wrote:So, it's like criticizing a book without having read it, or a restaurant without having eaten there.
pfff...it is becoming childish and really tiring to have to justify oneself for his or her simple opinion. Is it that hard to accept that my opinion - yes, based on what I read and hear - is different from yours?!

It's simple: I care for comfort and I am under the impression that I don't receive the service, legroom or facilities that I value. That is my personal evaluation...my perception let's say. Whether you agree with that or not...frankly I couldn't care less. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm not gonna proceed in this discussion.

Have a great weekend.

regi

Post by regi »

The topic was about the documentary. Nobody reacts on the documentory itself :shock:
Have all replyers seen the documentary ?
I tried to get you dear members back on track, by giving some details. No reaction. It remains a tit for tat , primary school level.

So please, do the effort, it is just 10 minutes or so. And reply on the interview.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

I saw it . After MoL said that no answers should be cut, I can understand his point of view. He was not talking nonsense. After all, his company his a very important player in aviation.

At the end it means : play by the (our) rules, and you can fly cheap.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

9vsmu wrote:At the end it means : play by the (our) rules, and you can fly cheap.
The VTM documentary also made clair: "... if you fail just one of Ryanair's hundred rules that differ from those with legacy carriers, you will end up with a higher bill then when flying with them..."

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Combining the above 2 is the perfect summary of their concept, IMHO:

You can indeed fly cheaply if you stick to all the (sometimes inconvenient) rules, but they won't make it all too easy for you to do so either, because obviously their purpose of doing business is exactly the same as at any other privately owned company, which is to make as much money as possible from their customers.

If you'd read some of the comments above, you'd almost think ryanair is some sort of a non-profit organisation who's purpose it is to fly people around europe as cheaply as they possibly can, sadly forced to charge them when they cause extra costs which risk ruining the non-profit model?! Seriously....

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

airazurxtror wrote:
So, it's like criticizing a book without having read it, or a restaurant without having eaten there.
Same for you buddy. Stop critisizing SN then. Because obviously you will never fly them.
It is a bit hypocrit to critisize posters on here to make comments on RYR when they have never flown them.
In flemish we say : leg uw hand op uw hoofd en zie wie eronder staat !!!

Sai

Post by Sai »

Isn't all being said now...pro, contra and inbetween?
Topic reminds me of this cartoon :D

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:
9vsmu wrote:At the end it means : play by the (our) rules, and you can fly cheap.
The VTM documentary also made clair: "... if you fail just one of Ryanair's hundred rules that differ from those with legacy carriers, you will end up with a higher bill then when flying with them..."

Care to share those 100 rules you don't find on a legacy carrier? Can't seem to find them.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:Combining the above 2 is the perfect summary of their concept, IMHO:

You can indeed fly cheaply if you stick to all the (sometimes inconvenient) rules, but they won't make it all too easy for you to do so either, because obviously their purpose of doing business is exactly the same as at any other privately owned company, which is to make as much money as possible from their customers.

If you'd read some of the comments above, you'd almost think ryanair is some sort of a non-profit organisation who's purpose it is to fly people around europe as cheaply as they possibly can, sadly forced to charge them when they cause extra costs which risk ruining the non-profit model?! Seriously....
Seeing that over 320 million euro is made from airfares (or 80%) I wouldnt call that exactly "non-profit"

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

Flanker wrote:Ryanair offers cheap tickets. In return, you have to work by their system.
If you think that it's unfair, you can fly SN or other airlines, where the fares are blunt daylight r*pe.

"I don't fly Ryanair" is a snob attitude, and being a snob costs money.
Not everyone can afford to be a snob, especially us backpackers, armchair ceo's and regular people.

Why bother replying for 5 pages? Let them be what they are, otherwise you are the same as they are, if not more.
I don't fly Ryanair, I fly easyjet for my low cost. If you book well ahead of time they can be even cheaper than RYR, booking last minute a bit more expensive, but I rather have a friendly easyjet crew than a ryanair crew that is doing it's 20th flight of the day..

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Tomskii wrote: I don't fly Ryanair, I fly easyjet for my low cost. If you book well ahead of time they can be even cheaper than RYR, booking last minute a bit more expensive, but I rather have a friendly easyjet crew than a ryanair crew that is doing it's 20th flight of the day..
EasyJet is a low-cost, whilst Ryanair actually is an ultra low-cost : easyJet tickets are 1,5 to 2 more expensive than Ryanair's, on average.
But it can happen that an easyJet ticket bought three months in advance is cheaper than a Ryanair last minute, I agree.
I have flown on a few hundreds FR flights, and I still have to meet one rude FR crew member.
For your information, FR crew don't make 20 flights per day; Sean could confirm the exact number, but I think it's 4 or 6 at the most.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Seeing that over 320 million euro is made from airfares (or 80%) I wouldnt call that exactly "non-profit"
sean1982 wrote:SCHEDULED revenues: 3,271 million EURO
ancilliary revenues: 803.9 million EURO
total operating revenues: 4074.9 million EURO
Seems we'll never know the correct figures, as they change overnight.

Fact is that everybody saw in the VTM documentary that the "surcharges" surprise lots of passengers, that there is a zero limit and that these "surcharges" are soo high that they are heavy penalties and not surcharges.

Imagine a library, charging 10 Euro if you bring back a book one day too late: that's the principle of Ryanair's "if you follow the rules, you won't have to pay extra".

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

That's the figures I meant, which you never replied to as you don't know what to do when you have facts in front of you.

The fact is that we saw in the "documentary" 4, maybe 5 passengers (not counting the reporter as he was doing it on purpose) out of how many pax in the airport at tha point? If you call that "a lot" you need your eyes looked at. And i've got news for you ... The library does charge if you're too late, djeez

Do keep stirring the pot, its the only thing you can do, as I havent seen any facts from you yet!

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

Surcharges (specially on overweight luggages) are a big bonus for legacy carriers as well, I seem to remember.

Of course, what's 50 euros when your ticket cost from 200 to 1000 euros.
I indeed understand the frustration of ryanait pax who have to fork 70 euros of surcharge on a 3 euros ticket...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:That's the figures I meant, which you never replied to as you don't know what to do when you have facts in front of you. The fact is that we saw in the "documentary" 4, maybe 5 passengers (not counting the reporter as he was doing it on purpose) out of how many pax in the airport at tha point? If you call that "a lot" you need your eyes looked at. And i've got news for you ... The library does charge if you're too late, djeez

Do keep stirring the pot, its the only thing you can do, as I havent seen any facts from you yet!
You get a whole list of facts here, you saw on tv many testimonies by passengers who said they feel they’re ripped off, you are confronted with the 70 Euro surcharge for one printed page (cost 10 cents) - and still you deny that these are not penalties, but rules. Why? Because it’s job to deny and/or minimalize the facts, because there’s that commission Ryanair pays for surcharges. But actually, Sean, you and other Ryanair staff are acting like Sadam's minister of Information, who said on CNN "there are no American troops in Baghdad".
sean1982 wrote:... The library does charge if you're too late, djeez
Yes, the library does charge a fine for overdue: 10 cents in Antwerp for a delayed return after the fifth day, increasing to 50 cents for plus three weeks delay. If libraries would implement Ryanair’s rules, it would be 10 Euro from the first day return too late, increasing to 70 Euro for a lost book. That was the comparison I’ve made, but what you didn’t want t reply to.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Still no figures or fact man ... I saw only 4 passengers complaining. I say again4, maybe 5. Back up what you have to say with sources, facts and figures.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Still no figures or fact man ... I saw only 4 passengers complaining. I say again4, maybe 5. Back up what you have to say with sources, facts and figures.
The facts are there. But you fail to see them, or you ignore them, or you minimalize them, or you just deny them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ettes.html

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/09/whi ... on-334204/