BRU-FRA-BRU with LH (4 Sep 03)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

BRU-FRA-BRU with LH (4 Sep 03)

Post by sn26567 »

Due to secretarial problems, my booked flight had not been confirmed and I had to buy a ticket myself. I did so by Internet less than 12 hours before departure. The Lufthansa website booking engine was user-friendly and prompt. I got the cheapest ticket (a non-flexible economy ticket) at no less than €684.04, exactly the price that was quoted by the travel agency. You can feel that LH has a monopoly on BRU-FRA. If LH is playing scaremongering tactics with SN BA on that route, somebody should complain at the European Commission, because they need competition.

I was early at the airport (5.45) to collect my electronic ticket, check in, buy a newspaper and a cheap pair of spectacles at the Tax Free Shop (I had forgotten mine at home, I guess I was not well awake), get a free orange juice and cup of coffee at the Diners Club lounge. Boarding started on time at 6.40. The plane was an A321-100, reg. D-AIRU, and the flight was LH4441, etd 7.10. I had an aisle seat, 25D, because of my late booking, but the seat was perfect: probably the seat with the most legroom (just before it there was a column with a very small seat for a f/a).

Announcements were in four languages, three (German, English, French) by the stewardess, and three (German, English, Dutch) by tye first officer, who was indeed Dutch as one could tell from his accent. Quite a difference with unilingual BA. Take-off was delayed by approximately 15 minutes by ATC. Flight was smooth and the weather perfect. The meal was a choice between an excellent fresh ham sandwich (which I selected) or a cheese croissant. I also had a cup of coffee and a tomato juice. The crew was friendly and efficient. Landing at 8.20, the plane was parked far, far away from the terminal, to which we were bussed. This added some 10 minutes to the duration of the flight, hence a 25 minutes late arrival at terminal 2.

Return by LH5918 was announced in the OAG as an AVRO but was announced on my ticket as a Canadair RJ 700, operated by LH Cityline (hence the flight number starting with a 5). This plane (D-ACPF) was a real piece of s....

A few minutes after the passengers started boarding the bus (yes, a bus again!), boarding was abruptly interrupted. Five minutes later, passengers were invited to go back to the gate, wher it was annouced that the plane had technical problems. Ten minutes later, the problems could not be solved, and 15 minutes later we would get another plane, but at least 75 minutes late! It gave me some opportunity to spot longer at FRA, but after a long day of work I was in a hurry to get home.

Among other nice little things I saw a Thai B744 in Star Alliance colours, an Air China B744, two SunExpress B738s with winglets (TC-SUH and SUK), a Hapag-Lloyd B738 with winglets in TUI colours (strikingly similar to OO-VAC), a Germania Fokker 100 in nice bright green colours, a LH Cityline Avro RJ85 registered D-AVRO (yes, Chris!), an EgyptAir B735 (never seen one before: they usually come to Europe with larger planes), an Air Mauritius A340. Don't ask me for the logs, I was writing a report on my computer.

Finally we were bussed to the Canadair CRJ700 D-ACPS, in which we boarded 1 hr 30 min late.

Yes, you got it: it's the LH Cityline plane in Star Alliance colours! A first for me. I was in seat 18A. seating is a little cramped with four seats abreast, 70 in total, but all leather. the flight went further without incidents. Bilingual announcement only (German/English), with a tape recorder for some bits in French and Dutch. Nice cheese or chicken sandwich (I chose cheese), with drinks at will (I had a german beer, 33 cl Warsteiner in a glass bottle, not a can).

Arrival at BRU with the same 90 min delay. Much too late for me after such a long day.

Altogether a sh...y day.
Last edited by sn26567 on 22 Jan 2004, 16:53, edited 3 times in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice report André! Will you do the same when you do your flights to Nice and back?

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:Nice report André! Will you do the same when you do your flights to Nice and back?
Depends on the service we'll get from the cabin crew :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote:Depends on the service we'll get from the cabin crew :wink:
Oh boy, oh boy!! Now you are making me nervous! I hope you will get some very good flight attendants ;-)

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

My experience with the LH Canadair RJ's was rather good.

I really felt like a business man entering that plane ...

At the end it is just a stretched business jet

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BBKing wrote:My experience with the LH Canadair RJ's was rather good. I really felt like a business man entering that plane ... At the end it is just a stretched business jet
Business jet? I wouldn't call it like that. The seats are much narrower than in an Airbus 32S. When you compare the CRJ (2-2 seating) with the ERJ (2-1 seating), the second one is more comfortable, athough it lacks storage place for hand luggage.
André
ex Sabena #26567

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Ohh, im so unlucky... I can not speak with you guys about this planes..., the only planes where i sitted on are a Boeing 733, 734, and a 763, only Boeing you see, and i like to be on time on a Airbus, God please help me... :cry: :cry:

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

BBKing

Post by BBKing »

Being a big guy (not only in length !!)I had no complains about the space available during the Bru-Mun flight ...

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Excellent report!

How were the load factors?

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Excellent report!
I had a good example with yours, Frederic :)
Sabena_690 wrote:How were the load factors?
Morning flight: 70%
Evening flight: 85%

With economy close to 100% and the very large business section closer to 50%.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

demol wrote:BRU-FRA-BRU is mainly a feeder traffic route :? What's to feed for SN :?: You can fly almost everywhere out of FRA :) This can't be said about BRU :( .
And what about the African flights of SN?

Even VG/Delsey, at the end of its short life, organised FRA-BRU feeder flights for its transatlantic routes with some small German planes during a few days. That was the only competition to LH since the demise of Sabena.

But I disagree with your statement that BRU-FRA-BRU is mainly feeder thaffic. OK for mid-day flights (feeder for transtlantic and Asian flights), but not for the peak hours flights: many business pax in C class (and also Y)!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks for the compliment André!

You put a lot of stress on Bart now! I hope the SN crews are good on your flights...

Since you seem to fly LH a lot: LH has the name of having cold, and a bit unfriendly f/a's (certainly not in all cases, but this is what I hear a lot from people flying LH). Was the service friendly on your flights in the past? A big plus when flying LH is the professionalism!

Regards
Frederic

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

You put a lot of stress on Bart now! I hope the SN crews are good on your flights...
That's right Frederic! 8O In fact I will be the purser on both André's flights to and from Nice.

On the return-flight Muisje will join me 8) 8)

Stress ? Nahh....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Since you seem to fly LH a lot: LH has the name of having cold, and a bit unfriendly f/a's (certainly not in all cases, but this is what I hear a lot from people flying LH). Was the service friendly on your flights in the past? A big plus when flying LH is the professionalism!
This year indeed, for the first time ever, I have flown LH more than SN. Not that I wanted to (except for my free flight to AGP), but because I had no other choice!

Cold f/a's? I wouldn't say so. Professional, certainly, but they also can smile. Excellent service, in any case.

The only real complaints I have about LH are the steep prices and the poor FF programme (too many miles to get awards).
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

demol wrote:
And what about the African flights of SN?
What about them :?: There are many gateways to/from the African market :? And if one wants to fly 4V, they can connect with LH...
But the real advantage in an online connection is a much lower total price. You don't get that with LH. You got it with Sabena.
demol wrote:
VG/Delsey, at the end of its short life, organised FRA-BRU feeder flights for its transatlantic routes with some small German planes during a few days. That was the only competition to LH since the demise of Sabena.
You mean the code-sharing agreement with IBT (Berlin Jet) :?: It was a gigantic flop :!: Do you call that competition, André :?: I rather call it a joke :lol: But then again, the whole IV concept was one big joke as from day 1... :cry:

It was indeed a joke. It's a pity that it was organised so unprofessionally. A better organisation would have created a much-needed competition.
demol wrote:1. SN can already exclude feeder traffic pax from Star Alliance members :!:
That's why they should organise their own feeder traffic.
demol wrote:2. They can never offer the amount of excellent connections like LH, so other (intercontinental) carriers will prefer connecting with LH :!:
Sure, but I'm talking here about ONLINE connections, for which there is a market.
demol wrote:3. Are those business pax mainly Germans or Belgians :?: I doubt if many Germans would fly SN, if they could... :?:
In the morning flight to FRA, most pax are Belgian. Now there is a choice between two LH flights at 7 and 9 am. Before there was also a Sabena flight at 8 am which I tended to prefer. There was never a lack of pax on that flight.
demol wrote:4. LH will probable make a strategic move, forcing SN to make silly decisions or to take drastic measures :roll:
That's what I am afraid of.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Will you be the purser on both André his flights, Bart? :-O

Than André will be able to write the flight part of this trip report already in advance, we know now already that he will have good flights ;)

Regards
Frederic

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Than André will be able to write the flight part of this trip report already in advance, we know now already that he will have good flights ;)
Well, you know, here could be technical problems independent of Bart and Emmy's good will :o
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Sabena_690 wrote:Than André will be able to write the flight part of this trip report already in advance, we know now already that he will have good flights ;)
Thanks for the support Frederic, I will need it ;-)
sn26567 wrote:Well, you know, here could be technical problems independent of Bart and Emmy's good will 8O
Of course but are rather occasional!

BTW: Muisje will only fly your return-flight ;-)

ciao,

Bart
:rock: