Skylink Airways, the new low-fare trans-atlantic airline

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

Skylink Airways, the new low-fare trans-atlantic airline

Post by blackhawk »

Today in "Het Nieuwsblad": Goedkoop vliegen naar VS met nieuwe maatschappij.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... D=GELC2N29

In short: according to the press, Skylink would like to add BRU as destination.Also they are looking after a new name. Ticket price: 300 $

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

blackhawk wrote: Ticket price: 300 $
And 700 in C-Class, not clear if that is OW or RT

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

And made an article about Skylink Airways, I did a luchtzak-search and found this information, mixed with todays information:

https://www.aviation24.be/article7503.html

What will be the new name for the company then?

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Just to sum up. Initially BWI-STN on B767's. Have also heard CDG mentioned

Curious

Post by Curious »

Isnt that route between the US-UK limited under the bermuda agreement or is stanstead outside that?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Curious wrote:Isnt that route between the US-UK limited under the bermuda agreement or is stanstead outside that?
STN is in the UK :?:
See my post: BERMUDA II INTACT
the US may limit the operating authorisations of such designated airlines between the US and London Heathrow or London Gatwick to operations that are also available for all US airlines under the air transport agreement or arrangements between the US and UK

Skylink is an american carrier.... it is the US that limits not the UK.

Curious

Post by Curious »

Thanks,so a similiar deal say STN-JFK originating from a UK airline could run into problems?

The low-cost transatlanic route IMHO was a question of when, but its difficult to see how they will make worthwhile money, with current fuel costs and capacity on the 767.

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

Thought every airport bar LHR/LGW to USA was open skies, so that would include STN

Gate-A1

Post by Gate-A1 »

Years ago some companies has made transatlantic low cost flights

Tower air
People express

And a UK airlines whitch I forgot the name.
All went bankrupt :?

Avro

Post by Avro »

I'm a bit sceptic about this company. Let's say that I'll only believe in the project when the planes are flying not before.

We have had a lot of hoax airlines with such plans, the last few months. Even if this one seems a little bit more credible I have some doubts.

Chris

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Gate-A1 wrote:And a UK airlines whitch I forgot the name.
All went bankrupt :?
Laker?

Captain

Post by Captain »

I don't really think long-haul transatlantic travel has really worked and will really work.

It's one thing Ryanair and the gang offering 1-2 hour short hops with quick turnarounds. But it's another thing trying to offer a similar type of service for a 6-8 hour flight at a low cost!!!

Remember Civair. There was a lot of hype about this South African airline that was going to fly from Stansted to Cape town. They never even operated the first flight!!!

Captain

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

I believe it's only a matter of time till the first succesfull transantlantic LCLF carriers will stand up... Laker, People Express e.a. were just not there at the right time...

Allnipponairways

Post by Allnipponairways »

if it works it would be greast ot fly cheap to the usa ... because 300 dolars as the exchange is now is very ery cheap flights , i might even buy business then ...i would feel to bad paying so less money for a transatlantic flight ...

greets

Gate-A1

Post by Gate-A1 »

But in the USA Jetblue has coast to coast flight, Song too.

Are they aircrafts able to do some flights as Boston-Glasgow or Boston-Dublin?

If they have A320 ETOPS or 757 ETOPS?

twan01

Post by twan01 »

300,00$ or 230,00 € one way isn't quit low fare. With taxes and return ticket your price will be easily 500,00 €.
If you look a little bit around, and make your reservation a bit in advance you pay less with regular airlines.

At the end of this month I fly to Washington DC - Direct flight with United Airlines and I only paid 363,00 € :D
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

chunk

Post by chunk »

twan01 wrote:300,00$ or 230,00 € one way isn't quit low fare. With taxes and return ticket your price will be easily 500,00 €.
If you look a little bit around, and make your reservation a bit in advance you pay less with regular airlines.

At the end of this month I fly to Washington DC - Direct flight with United Airlines and I only paid 363,00 € :D
There is already an apparently successful transatlantic airline in Fly Zoom to Canada from LGW and GLA and maybe MAN (can't remember)- or are you just referring to the US? It seems their service is quite good as well.

itsdoctorv

Post by itsdoctorv »

Southwest, Jet Blue, Easy Jet, Ryan Air, you name it, all make money by flying nothing bigger than an A320/B737. You'd think given the egos involved (at the head of those companies), at least one of them would have started low cost transatlantic flights if there was any chance of making money from them.

I believe one of the reasons might be airports. One of the big factors behind the low fares is the low airport charges. But most of those small airports used by low-cost carriers don't have a big enough runway for HEAVIES. Some of them also don't have CAT II/III ILS, which is going to be an issue in the winter.

Not so sure fuel is a big issue. Given that so much fuel is burned on take-off and climb, you'd think that fuel prices would hurt you more if you do short haul. What do you think?

Doc V

Curious

Post by Curious »

I have read that another LCC Atlantic Express is also "about" to start. I recall even speculations in the summer that easy jet were considering this with a 747, offcourse this was pure speculation otherwise something would have happend.

speaking for myself and I think there are passengers outthere that would agree with me, I rather pay the extra £50 or so and be more comfortable in a 14 hour round trip, assuming that these operators are going to be completely no thrills.

But how serious are they about there business class services, they could have something there, is there any data on the number of transatlantic biz customers?

Avro

Post by Avro »

Curious wrote: I recall even speculations in the summer that easy jet were considering this with a 747, offcourse this was pure speculation otherwise something would have happend.
As far as I remember this was an april fools joke and not a rumour at all.

Chris