construction works @ BRU - Macquarie initiative?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flybe

construction works @ BRU - Macquarie initiative?

Post by Flybe »

Received a newsletter from BIAC today, saying that there will be construction works going on, more info here: https://www.aviation24.be/article7251.html and here: https://www.aviation24.be/article7250.html . First moves of Macquarie? Or last moves of the last management, as it was probably decided some time ago already. Anyhow, the airport is progressing, nice to see that!

So what works are planned for this year?

The new car park, and the new shops as mentioned above.

The demolition of the C-pier as mentioned by Brubiac in another topic some time ago. This would be in May? Would the sattelite be demolished too? And what about the "officebuilding"? I guess that won't be demolished, since it has also the old tower that now will be used as a spare one, and i guess that still some people are working in that building. Are many people working in it, as it seems to be in a not to great state?

What about the destruction of the Coca-Cola tower (the one at the A-pier)? Or will it stay?

What else can we expect this year or in the near future? I guess railworks in the vicinity are still ongoing (link to Leuven).

I heard once also that there was a car park on the cargo apron that was to dissappear, is it still there? Will it dissappear?

Many questions, but it seems to be a very interesting year for BRU!

Greetings,

Pieter

PS: BIAC said in the mail that the newsletter will be distributed more often now! Sounds great! I would love to have a monthly newsletter with statistics, etc... 8)

BTW: Expect something on http://www.macquarie.com.au/au/map/index.html , they already have a section about BRU, now only the content to wait for :)

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

The new parking building was planned a long time ago, so it's not planned by Macquarie.

About the Satellite I've know idea, only the Finger South is planned.

The officebuilding looks old on the outside but it's totally new on the inside. A few years ago the offices where completly renewed.
During the day probably around 200 - 250 people work there. During the night only 1th (LHI) and 10th floor (Parkingcontrol) are occupied with BIAC-personel.

The Coca-Cola tower is/was normally planned to be used by the DHL-flightwatch.

If the cargotraffic stays like this than the parking will stay there. For the moment and with no unexpected traffic we have still enough places during the day at the cargoapron.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

During the day probably around 200 - 250 people work there. During the night only 1th (LHI) and 10th floor (Parkingcontrol) are occupied with BIAC-personel.

The Coca-Cola tower is/was normally planned to be used by the DHL-flightwatch.
Then why the construction???????

Is money being spent or is this some sort of a scan or a hog wash! When the need is not there.
Aum Sweet Aum.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Advisor wrote:Then why the construction???????
Because they probably need a new carpark & want more income from bigger skyshops...?

Can anyone expain what the Coca-Cola tower is? Is it the temporary control tower next to pierA? Why is it called the Coca-Cola tower?

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

The new carpark is only for the passengers. We, BIAC personel, have are own parkings.

The reason why there are so many people at work:

- Belgocontrol moved to the new ATC-tower
- SNBA has the HQ now in the Corporate Village
- BGS moved to terminal B

@Buzz, it's indeed the temporary tower. It has something to do with the colors. (red and with)

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

Well It seams that there will be quite some building activities in Brussels...

regi

Post by regi »

A hotel in the transit zone would be a good investment. Quite some passengers to USA without Shengen visa.
It would avoid the hassle with immigration staff to get special transit visas (and still "loose" some passengers.)

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Thanks for the updates, Brubiac, and everyone else too of course.

I didn't know that the officebuilding was totally renewed inside, nice to know. Because from outside it really looks quite bad. About the Coca-Cola tower, i heard once on luchtzak that it was mentionned like that, and i thought it was a common name for it 8)

Advisor, some background info on those constructions (although Brubiac is in a much better place to answer your questions). The officebuilding exsists already for a long time (wasn't it build in '58 when the C-pier was build?), so some they now apparently renovated it. Unfortunately some occupants moved out of it (SNBA, etc.) as said by Brubiac. (correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not in the aviation industry, so i have no inside info!). The coca-cola tower was a small temporary 2nd tower because with the construction of the A pier a few years ago, the old tower could see everything anymore. With the new tower that is built last year, they don't need the old tower and the 2nd one anymore. The old tower will stay as a backup tower, and the 2nd one will apparently go to DHL.

Some pictures (not mine) to give an overview about what we're talking:

www.airliners.net/open.file?id=651624 The satellite, nobody knows if that one will be destroyed.
www.airliners.net/open.file?id=621471 South finger, will be destroyed.
www.airliners.net/open.file?id=707337 The office building with the old tower in the back.
www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587293 Temporary tower in the back, will now go to DHL.

Thanks for all the info!

Pieter

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Why does DHL need its own tower?
Do they have to move it to the DHL area? The tower is at the other side of the A pier, isn't it?

Badabing

Re: construction works @ BRU - Macquarie initiative?

Post by Badabing »

These works have nothing to do with Macquarie.

Road construction works are necessary to replace the access road. This is necessary to allow construction of a new passenger car parking (Front Park 3) in the next months.

There are NO plans yet to demolish, refurbish, renovate, reopen or do anything else with the old terminal building or the satellite. This will be decided when there is a need to increase capacity of the terminal, or when other practical needs arise to invest in that.
Early 2003, an architect 'idea contest" was organised to trigger ideas for the refurbishing. But then 9/11 came and SN went, and the project was shelved. Now the old terminal's airside is completely closed to all. Project is mothbolled.

Most floors of the old terminal's administration building are fully renovated and look quite nice inside.