Mars

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
sn26567

Mars

Post by sn26567 »

Not really an aviation topic, but outer space is an extension of aviation, isnt't it? And in the pub, we talk about everything, don't we?

Mars

This month, Earth is catching up with Mars, an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the ways Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years but it may be as long as 60,000 years. The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 55,751,189 km and will be the brightest object in the night sky (except for the moon). It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. Now, at the beginning of August, Mars rises in the east at 10 p.m. and reaches its azimuth at about 3 a.m. But by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30 a.m. That's pretty convenient when it comes to seeing something that no human has seen in recorded history.

So, mark your calendar to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. And share this. No one alive today will ever see this again. I have seen it for the last few nights, and it is fa-bu-lous!
André
ex Sabena #26567

alfazulu

Post by alfazulu »

Hello André,

Alone march is not to be seen, there are yet so much other things to see up here think but of ISS, satelieten etc. Certain with the warm nights now is it pleasant round that all to observe.
More info you can find here http://www.heavens-above.com
Enjoys of it the next nights.

greetings

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

This is indeed a unique opportunity :)
You have to make the best out of it, especially because the weather is scheduled to be ideal for the next week too :) :)

We already had Mercury which passed in front of the sun in May, and now this!!
:D And next year it's even more exceptional : We'll have Venus pass in front of the sun, a feat that'll repeat in less than 10 years and then not before a 150years or so :D

Always watch the sky, there's always something interesting to see; and most of the time unique!

As you said alfazulu Heavens Above is a great site

Tristar

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Yesterday I enjoyed looking at the sky again. Mars is becoming bigger by the day. And then, I also saw a few - how do you say in English? - "étoiles filantes": it is the season of the Perseids for a few days now!

Enjoy the sky and beautiful nature :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

alfazulu

Post by alfazulu »

Hi,

.............De laatste weken was er al een duidelijk verhoogde activiteit, maar het maximum van de Perseïden valt dit jaar volgens de IMO op de ochtend van 13 augustus (wanneer het net dag wordt). Dus die ochtend zou men het meest meteoren moeten zien, waarbij er zelfs een lichte kans is op één of meerdere opvallende opflakkeringen van activiteit.

Helaas is het die nacht ongeveer Volle Maan, en het felle licht hiervan zal er voor zorgen dat enkel de helderste meteoren zichtbaar zullen zijn. Hou bij het waarnemen dan ook liefst de Maan in de rug, zodat die nog het minst stoort. Op die manier moet een geduldig waarnemer dan toch nog 10-20 flitsen per uur kunnen noteren.
bron

http://www.mira.be

greetings,

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

It's a bit late to announce it, but if you can don't miss the programme on France 2 at 20.55 tonight. It will spend two hours explaining the current Mars phenomenon.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thx André

I saw it and it was very interesting :lol:

Hope men will fly to Mars one day :!: :?:

Ciao
Chris
:wink:

Leo

Post by Leo »

I also saw a few - how do you say in English? - "étoiles filantes":

André, in english they say "shooting stars".

I'm also interested in astronomy. Years ago I followed a course at URANIA in Hove (Antwerp). It was not always easy, very much mathematics and that wasn't my favorit peace of cake :cry: , but very interesting.
If you watch the moon through a telescope, that just amazing!

The summer evenings are indeed good to stay outdoors and watch the sky at night but not ideal. The sun is not far enough under the horizon so it stays to light at night. Therefore is the winter season a better, but colder, period to enjoy the nightsky.

As Moby sings: We're all made of stars.

Greetings,
Leo