KLM 737 ran of the runway

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

C_J wrote:that would never happen to SN Brussels Airlines...
Sad very sad ... This can happen to everyone, even to SN!!!!

AN124

Post by AN124 »

@ SAB319 and C_J

I don't think this is something to make jokes about. For an airline no mather which one it's a big financial loss if you plane is involved in a accident.
Although you maybe meant it in a friendly way it can look just the other way around.
Don't take this as a personal attack but I just don't think these posting should be in here.

To be honest I don't think the plane will be broken up. Landinggear is reported to be stuck in the sand. And as long as the fusalage and wings are not badly damaged I think the plane will be back in service.
I remember a 747 which had a serious accident and she is flying again. Can't remember the airline that quick.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Ruscoe

Post by Ruscoe »

I wonder if there was an asymmetrical thrust reverser problem?

Ruscoe

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Actually some 10 people suffered light injuries and were treated at the scene by doctors. KLM said two people were taken to hospital for further treatment.
The landing gear of the KLM Boeing 737-400 arriving from Amsterdam was seriously damaged in the accident. It remains unclear what caused the problem.
A team of 20 KLM staff members
departed for Barcelona at about midnight Sunday to care for stranded passengers and investigate the cause of the accident.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

How do you know? Please stop posting statements which you cannot prove.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

Luckily everybody escaped safely. I would really like to know the cause of this accident.
I wonder if there was an asymmetrical thrust reverser problem?
Could be, but wouldn't the pilot be able to maintain the plane on the runway if it suffers from asymmetrical thrust ? BTW the asymmetry should be very severe if it forces the plane to deviate next to the runway.... Just my 2 cents though.
that would never happen to SN Brussels Airlines...
:shakehead: How naive of you. This could happen to every airline in the world. Even to the most reliable ones i.e. KLM.

Chris

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

never say never, and if it occurs let's hope the SN crew is very capable in handling this incident safely like the KLM crew did on the first sight

Regards
Raymond

C_J

Post by C_J »

Sorry guys, I realise it was a stupid reaction, won't happen again. You're all right...

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

nwa757 wrote:Do you think this plane will be saved or will it be broken-up for parts?
Why, Trevor? You're in need of cheap parts in the US?

Falcon_900

Post by Falcon_900 »

Hello here it is another photo:

And only tell you that here in Spain we haven't hear nothing, except something with a bird in the nose train.

bye![/img]

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Falcon_900,

your image doesn't work, it seems to be an airliners.net picture. That server doesn't allow hotlinking. Above every a.net-image there is an url, please copy/paste that one into your message.

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

I think the Barcelona Airport Authority should take a lesson from these people.

They should put a detailed and descriptive analysis as contained herein for this Piper accident.

Please view http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 26650.hcsp and you shall be able to assess more clearly.
Aum Sweet Aum.

waldova

Post by waldova »

What a stupid comment is this. This could happen to any company. Something similar even happened to Sabena. Don't you remember the flight from JFK were the A340 had his gear that collapsed when ont he runway?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

sn26567 wrote:
How do you know? Please stop posting statements which you cannot prove.
Lets make it: that has never happen to SN Brussels Airlines...
And hope it 'll never happen.

The following should be in an other topic, sorry....
So I moved it.
Last edited by SN30952 on 01 Dec 2004, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

criscokid

Post by criscokid »

STATUS LANDING INCIDENT BARCELONA

AMSTELVEEN – November 30, 2004 – KLM Royal Dutch Airlines has offered personal assistance to the passengers aboard flight KL 1673, which was involved in a landing incident at Barcelona International Airport on November 28.

The baggage was retrieved from the aircraft last night. The KLM team is trying to return this to the passengers today and offers further assistance, where necessary.

KLM also offered personal assistance to the six flight crew members who where on duty during the landing incident.

In the meantime, an investigation into the incident's cause is in progress. This is being carried out by a multifunctional team of experts coordinated by the Spanish aviation authorities.

---
KLM Passenger Forum
http://www.travel-mania.net/klmforum

Daurid

klm 737-400 crash

Post by Daurid »

Guys, listen i probably know what caused last weeks crash, i got this information from KLM. While taking off a big bird had hit the nose wheel of the 737-400 and serious damage was done to it and it got stuck. During landing the pilot had no control over his nose wheel only over his rudder therefore during the first lets say 10 seconds the pilot had control over the aircraft using its rudder however when the plane slowed down they realized that there was no control over their nose wheel. The crew could not hold the plane on the runway for much longer and ended up in the grass on the side of the runway. Obviously the crew had no idea what had happened while taking off from Schiphol airport Amsterdam and just carried out a normal landing and were surprised by an uncontrollable nose wheel after touch down.

I hope this kind off explains what had happened. Obviously this story has been going from person to person before it reached me so i don't know if its completely true. So please don't blame me if i got it wrong. If anybody wants to add please do so I am open for questions.

cheers and i hope that this take all the thoughts away that KLM is a crappy airliner coz this could have happened to anyone and there is no one to blame for what happened.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for this information, Daurid (...and welcome to Luchtzak by the same token).

The cause of the crash is plausible, but I am astonished that the crew had no idea that the nose wheel was blocked: aren't there any controls?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Daurid

klm 737-400 crash

Post by Daurid »

Well no thats the problem electronically nothing was wrong a possibility might be that there it just got stuck. let say maybe the connections got bend and because of this the nose wheel couldn't turn or couldn't be controlled. So they had no where to go they had to follow the direction where the nose wheel took them, which then collapsed etc etc..
But all the technical stuff might be reported later. I cant say more about that sorry.

PS. thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

SN30952

Re: klm 737-400 crash

Post by SN30952 »

Daurid wrote:While taking off a big bird had hit the nose wheel of the 737-400 and serious damage was done to it and it got stuck. ......and i hope that this take all the thoughts away that KLM is a crappy airliner coz this could have happened to anyone and there is no one to blame for what happened.
Read my lines Daurid:
This GEN indicates that it would be probably a mechanical failure: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:11 am. And,
A mechanical failure: brake problem? As I tried earlier Sunday, see higher: This GEN indicates that it would be probably a mechanical failure.
Things like that can happen, as bird strike is also a hazard.
In these cases, one wishes (s)he is in the hands of a well trained crew. : Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:00 am

Now I start quoting myself!!! :? (I think I need some fresh air?)

I was once told that the impact of a dove on a flying aircraft is heavier than a hand thrown brick to a car*. Imagine the impact of a heavy bird.

In this forum, we had an item on impacts, remember?
* nobody throws doves to cars, of course! And Daurid, don't hope too quick that this will take all the thoughts away that KLM is a crappy airliner. :wink:
Last edited by SN30952 on 01 Dec 2004, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

FlightSimCrew

Post by FlightSimCrew »

Indeed.. this could happen to everyone.. the plane was a the bad place on the bad moment... luckily nothing really dramatic happened.. should have been scary though for the pax..