Oh my God this was scary!

The place for all your flight-sim experiences, questions, etc...
killerwhale65

Oh my God this was scary!

Post by killerwhale65 »

Guys, guess what ... i had my very first real unexpected emergency landing today!

I was flying from Madeira to Tenerife North in a BAe 146-200, when i was climbing thru FL200, suddenly all four (yes, all 4!) engines shut down.... Dont ask me why, maybe a program bug.

8O

Swallow, swallow ....

OK, i tried to restart them, but no luck. I decided for a 360 and head back to LPMA, the closest available. Must be scary for the passengers.
Anyway, i tried to keep a good rate to maintain speed, but also not too much so i would make it to the runway.

Anyway after a few minutes (which seemed like a few hours :) ), i managed to restart 3 of the 4 engines. And i was like "phfew, i'm gonna make it!" i was however not able to start number 4.

at last i made it perfectly on the runway at Madeira, and shut down 1 engine on rollout, cause it was hard keeping her straight.

AC is now in the hangar to find out what went wrong ...
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

I experienced a panel failure once, that was on a bae too.. everything gone, had to do everything manually and on sight I couldn't even reach atc because of a dead radio

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Luckily you and your passengers came out unharmed ;)

EditorASC

Cause of the engines all failing at once?

Post by EditorASC »

I would sure like to hear what they found, as to the cause of 4 engines failing all at the same time.

Fuel contamination or exhaustion would come to mind.

Many years ago, all four engines flamed out on an Eastern Airlines DC-8, as it was descending for an approach to the Mexico City airport. They did manage to get restarts, before they crashed.

It was discovered the fault was in the fuel controllers for each engine. They had been improperly adjusted, and that allowed the fuel to be cut off at a precise pressure altitude, when that was combined with idle thrust. All four of those fuel controllers had been worked on, by the same technician, on the same bench....................

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

EditorASC,

You mention a real accident, whereas the previous posts relate to FlightSim...

Anyway, thanks for your interesting input!
André
ex Sabena #26567

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Is this flight simulation or real flight? I'm getting confused here. You must of prgrammed the FS to execute these tech problems anyway? So no worries. IT'S NOT REAL PEOPLE!!!

Emirates

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

hmmm, this is a flight simulation forum, or am i wrong?

Indeed Bart we were lucky that we survived :twisted:
Matthias Thoen

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Emirates wrote:You must of prgrammed the FS to execute these tech problems anyway?
No i did not, thats why it was so unexpected. But this makes it totally realistic :)
Matthias Thoen

BieleAlbatrosy

Post by BieleAlbatrosy »

it is probably the 146, it wouldn't be the first time a jubolino has troubles with its engines in-flight
talking about makng it as real as it gets! good programming guys :mrgreen: