SN2174 and SN2177 - Sabena Style!!

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

SN2174 and SN2177 - Sabena Style!!

Post by Comet »

SN2174 was my first ever flight on a Belgian airline. This was on 6th July 2000 (sorry it's not really recent, but I just had to post these experiences to people who really appreciate quality airlines!!) The flight was originally scheduled to be flown by A319, and would have been my first flight in any Airbus type. The aircraft was a little late arriving, and instead we got an Avro RJ (another first for me) instead of the A319. I don't think that the A319 ever operated from MAN, by 2001 it was operated by 737.
My previous flights had been with a really poor airline, who shall remain nameless except to say that they win numerous awards for their inflight "service" and I could never see why, so my first flight with Sabena was to prove a real eye opener into how a proper airline treats its passengers.
There was a crew of two - a steward and a stewardess, and they seemed determined to make the flight as much fun as possible, and, believe me, they did!! The steward welcomed us aboard with the announcement "welcome aboard the best flight of your life", and things just got better from there. The pre take off safety demonstration was unique. We were told to "watch out for the sharks when we crash into the sea" and we would soon be served our in-flight sandwiches by "the Queen of the Galley", it was superb, and a real change to get cabin crew with a sense of humour. I didn't eat the sandwiches, but I had orange juice to drink. The flight lasted 50 minutes, mostly in cloud, and it was raining when we reached BRU. The steward was still on a comdey roll "welcome to Brussels. Sorry for the delay but what's fifteen minutes in a lifetime?" This truly was the most memorable flight I have been on, ever, and the best cabin crew I have come across, ever.
The return flight, SN2177, on 13th July, suffered a heavy delay. This time the aircraft operating the flight was a Boeing 737-500. Some passengers were late arriving, so we waited for them. Then there was confusion as to the correct passenger numbers, so the crew carried out a headcount. By this time we had lost our slot, and so we had a long delay while another could be found. We were delayed 1 hour 10 minutes, and, when we eventually became airborne we had a cloudy flight. The snack served was a chocolate muffin and some salad, but I remember this flight for having my first ever Maes beer, and I've liked the type ever since. The crew, as ever, were superb, and I vowed to fly with Sabena again the following year.
On 4th September 2001, I flew again on SN2174, this time Boeing 737-300 OO-SDX. It was delayed owing to severe thunderstorms in the Brussels area, but the weather in MAN was superb. The crew were wonderful, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you Belgians that!! I had a Stella (proper one) and a tuna fish sandwich, but afterwards I suffered an allergic reaction. I also had some chocolate. We had a superb view of London as the aircraft turned over the River Thames, and the flight was good. The landing in BRU was smooth.
Coming back on 13th September, I was on SN2177, flown by Boeing 737-500 OO-SYG. The mood was subdued owing to the events of the 11th September, and it was a very cloudy flight. After my allergic reaction of the previous week, I declined a sandwich when it was offered, and was given a Twix chocolate bar instead, and a proper Stella. The crews were brilliant as ever, and when I left the aircraft at Manchester I didn't know that it would be my last flight with Sabena. I missed them when they had gone, and I only hope that the crews who I came across found employment with SNBA, because they certainly deserved to!!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Re: SN2174 and SN2177 - Sabena Style!!

Post by sn26567 »

Error! Please remove :oops:
Last edited by sn26567 on 11 Aug 2003, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I remember this flight for having my first ever Maes
(+ your current signature)

It is funny that you like Maes so much, but not surprising: the brewery Alken Maes, as well as the French Kronembourg now belong to Scottish and Newcastle. But I guess this is :offtopic: :wink:

Glad you enjoyed your flights with Sabena :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

"Enjoyed" is an understatement!!
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice report Comet :wink:

Bart was maybe the purser on your RJ flight, you never know :wink:

Ciao
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Avro wrote:
Bart was maybe the purser on your RJ flight, you never know :wink:

Ciao
Chris
8)
Maybe... but I never got the names of the crew, I couldn't even tell you the pilot, and he said his name!!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:I remember this flight for having my first ever Maes
(+ your current signature)

It is funny that you like Maes so much, but not surprising: the brewery Alken Maes, as well as the French Kronembourg now belong to Scottish and Newcastle. But I guess this is :offtopic: :wink:
I didn't know that Maes was British-owned, I like it for its rarity value (and I prefer Belgian beer to British beer anyday!!!) Anyway, I've now changed my signature (and hope that Hapkin is proper Belgian!!)
None of the airlines serve Maes now anyway.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Comet wrote:Maybe... but I never got the names of the crew, I couldn't even tell you the pilot, and he said his name!!
You don't need names. Have you never seen a picture of Bart :?: If not just surf on luchtak's picture gallery and you'll find some :wink:

Ciao
Chris
:drink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:None of the airlines serve Maes now anyway.
Well, on SN BA, I had already the choice between Maes and Stella Artois. The problem is that SN BA serves them in 25 cl cans, whereas other airlines still give 33 cl cans. And with this weather, guess which size I prefer :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Comet,

nice report but it wasn't me... I don't do speeches like that. I stay neutral... But I know someone who makes speeches like that... The "if-the-oxygen-masks-drop-stop-screaming-and-breath-normally"-guy !! Is he tall with blond hair ?

I'm not that kind of entertainer on board... I just do my thing, nothing more.... Friendly but professional ! ;-)

ciao,

Bart
:rock:

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Bart,

Thats the spirit! Be shure, i want you on my flight, then you can give me a bottle of champagne :wink:

Regards,

Rutger

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

BIVA wrote:then you can give me a bottle of champagne
a few remarks:

We don't give bottles of champagne to passengers!
I can have the idea to offer you a glass of champagne, I will not give it!
Are you old enough to drink champagne? You need to be 18+!

ciao,

Bart

Comet

Post by Comet »

luchtzak wrote:Comet,

nice report but it wasn't me... I don't do speeches like that. I stay neutral... But I know someone who makes speeches like that... The "if-the-oxygen-masks-drop-stop-screaming-and-breath-normally"-guy !! Is he tall with blond hair ?

I'm not that kind of entertainer on board... I just do my thing, nothing more.... Friendly but professional ! ;-)

ciao,

Bart
Bart - I think he was tall and blond-ish, I know it wasn't you from the photos in the Flightcrew section. He certainly kept us entertained, and I only came across him on the one flight.
Glad you liked my report!!
Louise

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:None of the airlines serve Maes now anyway.
Well, on SN BA, I had already the choice between Maes and Stella Artois. The problem is that SN BA serves them in 25 cl cans, whereas other airlines still give 33 cl cans. And with this weather, guess which size I prefer :wink:
I can't comment on SNBA 'cause I've never flown with them, but on my last two Sabena flights the beers on offer were Stella (proper) and Carlsberg, no sign then of the Maes. On VLM it was Stella (proper) and Jupiler.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote:The "if-the-oxygen-masks-drop-stop-screaming-and-breath-normally"-guy !! Is he tall with blond hair ?

I'm not that kind of entertainer on board... I just do my thing, nothing more.... Friendly but professional !
Do you mean the tall blond guy is un-professional?

On domestic flights in the US I already heard several speeches of that kind, and I always thought it was a nice way to get away from the routine and make passengers attentive.

But I am sure your are very professional too, Bart :wink: I can't wait to fly with you :P
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote:Do you mean the tall blond guy is un-professional?
No that I didn't mean, but it is not my style to 'entertain' passengers on that way!

ciao,

Bart

Comet

Post by Comet »

I remember this steward referred to the Avro RJ as a "Jumbolino", I thought that was a Crossair term, and I thought I must remember to see whether that relates to an Avro RJ85 or an RJ100, but I never did.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:I remember this steward referred to the Avro RJ as a "Jumbolino", I thought that was a Crossair term
Indeed, only Crossair used to call the Avros "Jumbolino" for their similarity with a mini-B747. But at that time Sabena was a Swissair "colony". Now, SN BA conquered its independence.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Crossair had some pretty weird names for their aircraft. The Avro RJ doesn't look anything like a mini 747, wing placement is different for a start, and the tail is different. The A340 looks more like a 747 than the Avro does!!
Then again, they called the Saab 2000 "Concordino", and the Saab certainly bears no resemblance to Concorde!!
Louise