Herpa wings using pictures without photographer's 'yes' ?

Looking for a specific safety-card, an aviation magazine or a special aircraft model? Want to sell your stuff? Like to exchange with other members? This is the place for all your aviation hobby-related questions and answers!
Comet

Post by Comet »

Whilst I think it is wrong to use someone else's property to make money for yourself (copyright theft), I suppose on the other hand I would be quite flattered that a photo of mine was considered of good enough quality to be used like this.

Just an opinion, really...
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

Bart,

But you confirm that this was your picture :?: If yes, couldn't Herpa wings give you the name of the person who "sold" your picture :?:

Greetz
Chris

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

luchtzak wrote: I have send an e-mail to Herpa Wings:
and this is what I received:
Hello Barth,

This really seems to be a mistake ... Every time we use a picture from Airliners.Net, we ask for permission, and add the name of the photographer.

You are perfectly right, on the box of the 1/500-scale model, there is no name or anything. On the 1/400-scale model's box, you can see "Photo by Chris Sheldon" in the upper left corner of the picture, in white, thus not very well visible -- but I've got the original box in front of me. We sometimes use photos provided by him, so this is where the error most probably originated from. It may even be he authorized that we use this picture -- playing along with our error ...

I send a copy of this mail to our product management team, so they can straighten that error out -- and sincerely hope you will not feel cheated. We are always very careful about authorisations, and that goes for airlines, airplane manufacturers, as well as for photos. Thus, all I can do is apologize, and hope my colleagues get the things in order as soon as possible.
I think in this very prompt and honest reply you can regognize an honest company, who has nothing to win and all to loose from such small problems . Way to go Herpa.
luchtzak wrote: I received a friendly e-mail from Herpa Wings, they are not to blame for this issue. About 2 years ago they have received the picture in 'good faith' after they asked for it. I didn't send it, somebody else did....
It is always difficult for a company to check if the picture they got really was made by the one sending it,( so I think it's right for them to believe
the sender)

I hope you'll be able to straighten all this out :!:

ciao,
TriStar :wink:

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

So no models for you?

ALM

Post by ALM »

BBKing wrote:Just sue them ... :D :D :D
Throw Herpa in front of Judge Judy, right ? :wink:

CST

Post by CST »

I used a picture from airliners.net as my avatar (like many other members I'm sure) ...

Can I be sued now?? :?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

CST wrote:I used a picture from airliners.net as my avatar (like many other members I'm sure) ...

Can I be sued now?? :?
If I were you, seriously, I would ask permission to the photographer.

A better idea would be to use a picture made by one of our members and ask him for authorisation: (s)he will certainly not refuse.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Hasjie

Post by Hasjie »

Jeah,
my picture is a picture made @ BRU BY JENSE !!!
Tnx man !!
he has plenty of them just ask ;)

Grtzzz
Thomas :twisted:

Andries

Post by Andries »

The best thing to do is just to use your own picture, like I do.

Greetz,

:twisted: CanonFreak :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

CST

Post by CST »

OK thanks guys!

For the moment I changed my avatar to one of my old FS screenshots ;)

Comet

Post by Comet »

I saw that model box the other week in the shop at MAN. I thought I had seen the photo somewhere before. I remember pointing it out to VC10 at the time.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise