Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boavida

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Boavida »

I'm a bit confused. I thought this area would be used for the extension of the terminal/new hotel?

Why isn't BAC communicating about the plans?

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Boavida wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:03 I'm a bit confused. I thought this area would be used for the extension of the terminal/new hotel?

The new car park will be located near/on the current P30 if I understand correctly

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Ah, that makes sense. Thx!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Miqvell wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:40
Boavida wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:03 I'm a bit confused. I thought this area would be used for the extension of the terminal/new hotel?

The new car park will be located near/on the current P30 if I understand correctly
P30 is a staff car parking

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Atlantis wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 22:32
Miqvell wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:40

P30 is a staff car parking
I never said otherwise, I was only talking about the location

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 07:59 In Autumn, the construction of a new parking tower at the airport is going to start, it will be located across the road from the kiss and ride zone, I don't know if it will be for pax or just for staff.
Nothing heard or seen about it, but it could make sense to combine a few staff parking's on one single place. P31, also staff parking and where the touring cars are parked, has to move away from there for the new hotel.

It really would make sense to have a dedicated staff parking tower.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 20:08
Conti764 wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 07:59 In Autumn, the construction of a new parking tower at the airport is going to start, it will be located across the road from the kiss and ride zone, I don't know if it will be for pax or just for staff.
Nothing heard or seen about it, but it could make sense to combine a few staff parking's on one single place. P31, also staff parking and where the touring cars are parked, has to move away from there for the new hotel.

A mail from BAC to different companies parking at P30 states that from Septemper parking at P30 is nog longer possible die to the installation and preparation of the construction site of the future tower.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Conti764 wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 22:00
Atlantis wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 20:08

A mail from BAC to different companies parking at P30 states that from Septemper parking at P30 is nog longer possible die to the installation and preparation of the construction site of the future tower.
Ahh that's why and it explains now. Thanks

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Today was the official announcement of P30.

This will be a parking for only employees and the place for car rental. Total number of places 2.700 and 8 levels high.

The start of signalisation and preparation starts as from today on the side itself.

I will try to get the picture here

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Some more news, the Flemish government approved the permit for the new airport tram: https://www.hln.be/zaventem/na-brussel- ... ~a2c29ab8/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Matthias wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 09:48 Some more news, the Flemish government approved the permit for the new airport tram: https://www.hln.be/zaventem/na-brussel- ... ~a2c29ab8/
We published this already three days ago on the homepage! Aviation24.be is more than just a forum ;)

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... s-airport/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Atlantis wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 08:54 Today was the official announcement of P30.

This will be a parking for only employees and the place for car rental. Total number of places 2.700 and 8 levels high.

The start of signalisation and preparation starts as from today on the side itself.

A picture/render of the building would be much appreciated :)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 11:36
Atlantis wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 08:54 Today was the official announcement of P30.

A picture/render of the building would be much appreciated :)
I have it but I'm on holiday now. Will try to upload it when I will be back

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

I don't pass in BRU that much anymore; maybe that makes it easier to notice some things.

I noticed this month how dilapidated, disfunctional, and dated the "Nieuwe Terminal" is starting to look. Yes, notwithstanding its official name, it's not actually "new": I'm referring to the part of the infrastructure completed in 1994. The main features are the vertical corridor with escalators/elevators between the floors, the check-in rows, luggage carousels, and Concourse B.

Aviation looked very different in 1994. This part of the building is maladapted to the current flows and passenger levels. When I passed through, the escalators broke down (again), and big lines were forming at the elevators as they couldn't cope with the volume. And that's just one example; I could name several more. An interesting fact is that Concourse A was completed only eight years later. Still, it feels like a very modern and functional concourse, likely because it was constructed with much larger passenger volumes in mind than the "Nieuwe Terminal."

The major airport in the area where I live now had its latest 90's-relic part of its terminal close in 2020. Are there any plans to replace this aging part of BRU's infrastructure, too? Yes, I understand it has a lot of vital infrastructure, but that should never be an obstacle to modernizing.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Stella_Caeli wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 13:18 I don't pass in BRU that much anymore; maybe that makes it easier to notice some things.

I noticed this month how dilapidated, disfunctional, and dated the "Nieuwe Terminal" is starting to look. Yes, notwithstanding its official name, it's not actually "new": I'm referring to the part of the infrastructure completed in 1994. The main features are the vertical corridor with escalators/elevators between the floors, the check-in rows, luggage carousels, and Concourse B.

Aviation looked very different in 1994. This part of the building is maladapted to the current flows and passenger levels. When I passed through, the escalators broke down (again), and big lines were forming at the elevators as they couldn't cope with the volume. And that's just one example; I could name several more. An interesting fact is that Concourse A was completed only eight years later. Still, it feels like a very modern and functional concourse, likely because it was constructed with much larger passenger volumes in mind than the "Nieuwe Terminal."

The major airport in the area where I live now had its latest 90's-relic part of its terminal close in 2020. Are there any plans to replace this aging part of BRU's infrastructure, too? Yes, I understand it has a lot of vital infrastructure, but that should never be an obstacle to modernizing.
Dear,

Yes indeed, the place you refer to is the Diamant and it will be demolished in some time to make place for the extention of the terminal.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Atlantis wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 13:47
Stella_Caeli wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 13:18 I don't pass in BRU that much anymore; maybe that makes it easier to notice some things.

Dear,

Yes indeed, the place you refer to is the Diamant and it will be demolished in some time to make place for the extention of the terminal.
At the time of its construction the drop zone was not in the same place and there were a lot fewer people passing through it.
This situation happened after the attacks and it is a compromise for the moment.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

lumumba wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 14:24 This situation happened after the attacks ,and it is a compromise.
I'm not sure what the "drop zone" is; if you mean where cars can drop off passengers and drive off, you're right that the new location adds even more demand for the escalators/elevators. Still, I believe it's a net positive that vehicles are (mostly) gone from the upper level between the "Nieuwe Terminal" or "Diamant" and the Sheraton and car parks. Allowing cars that close was very convenient but also dangerous for pedestrians, unsightly, and it always carried a security threat (and still does on the arrivals level).

I always thought it was a lost opportunity to not cash out the insurance money in 2016 - if there was any - and demolish the 1994 infrastructure once and for all while using the extreme sense of urgency to push things more quickly than usual through the government. Then again, if they had absolutely no replacement plan ready or at least in the works, it would take way too long to start from scratch.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Stella_Caeli wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 14:50
lumumba wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 14:24 This situation happened after the attacks ,and it is a compromise.
I'm not sure what the "drop zone" is; if you mean where cars can drop off passengers and drive off, you're right that the new location adds even more demand for the escalators/elevators. Still, I believe it's a net positive that vehicles are (mostly) gone from the upper level between the "Nieuwe Terminal" or "Diamant" and the Sheraton and car parks. Allowing cars that close was very convenient but also dangerous for pedestrians, unsightly, and it always carried a security threat (and still does on the arrivals level).

I always thought it was a lost opportunity to not cash out the insurance money in 2016 - if there was any - and demolish the 1994 infrastructure once and for all while using the extreme sense of urgency to push things more quickly than usual through the government. Then again, if they had absolutely no replacement plan ready or at least in the works, it would take way too long to start from scratch.
The drop off zone from the past was no longer convenient for the future. It was many times a very long queue/traffic jam to reach the place. Like you said, it was also not safe and very narrow. Cars were even parked there. A solution could have been at that time to work with entrance tickets Ince you enter the zone. The first 7 mins for free.

But this is the past. As mentioned the Diamant will be demolished and the current front of the terminal will be moved more forward to create a bigger/wider terminal inside

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

According HLN Dutch rail company Arriva wants to connect Dutch cities like Amsterdam and The Hague with Brussels and BRU. Hope to get permission to start in 2026. Same article mentions ongoing discussions with company Eurostar, but no results yet.

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

CRJ 900 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 21:55 According HLN Dutch rail company Arriva wants to connect Dutch cities like Amsterdam and The Hague with Brussels and BRU. Hope to get permission to start in 2026. Same article mentions ongoing discussions with company Eurostar, but no results yet.
As my friend TL Spotting says, this is very uncertain as NS (the Dutch national company) is expected to have a sort of monopoly until at least 2033, but this is still under discussion...