Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

lumumba

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by lumumba »

Matt wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:57
lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:41
crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 12:16

Unfortunately no, there will be some light appearance modifications as change of carpet, seat cover etc to fit the SN colour. But a full retrofit (same for OO-SFJ) is planned for later (but will come).
Once again that's really a shame and small savings the premium economy (Is a separate cabin) and Business is much better than Lufthansa,I find it shameful for a large group like Luftansa which can quietly modernize all the interiors of its own planes but Brussels has to keep it cheap!
And what if they'd relaunch a daily direct flight to Luanda with it...? :D
It has nothing to do with it, I was always suspicious when it was said that Brussels Airlines was treated as lesser by the Germans but now it looks like that...
Brussels Airlines has a good product well known to there customers, this is not going to do them any good.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

It may not be the youngest machine, but for the cabin that probably hardly matters. Going by airfleets.net it was reactivated for Lufthansa (in the new colour scheme) in April 2022 after being stored in June 2021. I would be surprised if it didn’t receive at least a refreshed cabin in that time frame. It won’t be consistent with SN’s hard product, sure, but it shouldn’t feel old and worn down.
As for the airframe’s age, that hardly matters either as long as every inspection, AD, etc. was complied with. Since it’s been maintained at LHT, there is not doubt in my mind that it will be very well maintained.
Again, the hard product from a passenger’s point of view won’t be consistent with the other aircraft, which is far from ideal, but if they can use it to make money now and slot it in with planned updates etc. from a later date on, that makes a lot more sense.
Thomas

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

KriVa wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 14:47 It may not be the youngest machine, but for the cabin that probably hardly matters. Going by airfleets.net it was reactivated for Lufthansa (in the new colour scheme) in April 2022 after being stored in June 2021. I would be surprised if it didn’t receive at least a refreshed cabin in that time frame. It won’t be consistent with SN’s hard product, sure, but it shouldn’t feel old and worn down.
As for the airframe’s age, that hardly matters either as long as every inspection, AD, etc. was complied with. Since it’s been maintained at LHT, there is not doubt in my mind that it will be very well maintained.
Again, the hard product from a passenger’s point of view won’t be consistent with the other aircraft, which is far from ideal, but if they can use it to make money now and slot it in with planned updates etc. from a later date on, that makes a lot more sense.
You can put it this way for Lufthansa it would be unconceivable that they put a product other than theirs...
As for the age of the plane, it's not a problem in itself, it's just that once again they give the oldest aircraft not one of the oldest but THE oldest of the Lufthansa fleet.

convair

Post by convair »

lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 14:55
KriVa wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 14:47 It may not be the youngest machine, but for the cabin that probably hardly matters. Going by airfleets.net it was reactivated for Lufthansa (in the new colour scheme) in April 2022 after being stored in June 2021. I would be surprised if it didn’t receive at least a refreshed cabin in that time frame. It won’t be consistent with SN’s hard product, sure, but it shouldn’t feel old and worn down.
You can put it this way for Lufthansa it would be unconceivable that they put a product other than theirs...
As for the age of the plane, it's not a problem in itself, it's just that once again they give the oldest aircraft not one of the oldest but THE oldest of the Lufthansa fleet.
We may assume, then, that the leasing cost charged to SN is lower than for a brand new plane.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

convair wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 15:01
lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 14:55
We may assume, then, that the leasing cost charged to SN is lower than for a brand new plane.
This puzzles me, why does Brussels Airlines have to fly with the oldest planes and another product?
Is our gross domestic product so low?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

lumumba wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 15:17 .....
This puzzles me, why does Brussels Airlines have to fly with the oldest planes and another product?
Well, at least an additional plane will limit the risk of this :

SN245 20230912.png
SN245 that was due to fly SN245 to FNA today.

H.A.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

On a side note, wasn't SFX suppose to leave the fleet ? It still features the older C-class SN product (but well the current W-class).
The reason given for this at the time was that the lease term was much shorter than the others "new" A333s.
This may explain why an "11th" is already in the Google sheet of Lufthansa Group:
https://sites.google.com/view/europeana ... authuser=0
Last edited by Darjeeling on 12 Sep 2023, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

PopUp wrote: 08 Sep 2023, 19:09 LH has a strong presence in India. They want us to fly to FRA/MUC and connect there on an LH flight (and vv). No competition allowed from SN. My two cents...
Air India is also operating to VIE, so transiting through there would also be a possibility (surely easier and faster than through nightmarish FRA)...
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

fcw

Post by fcw »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 15:31

SN245 20230912.png

The opposite in fact!
An additional aircraft scheduled 6/7 will only increase the risk of a cancellation. If you want to increase resilience you need a spare aircraft not one which is maxed out.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

fcw wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 17:44
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 15:31

SN245 20230912.png

The opposite in fact!
An additional aircraft scheduled 6/7 will only increase the risk of a cancellation. If you want to increase resilience you need a spare aircraft not one which is maxed out.
Thank you fcw ! ;)
Indeed, adding one (1) aircraft and using it 6 days out of 7 doesn't help much.
It seems that a cancelled flight to IAD or JFK can be coped with within the *Alliance, but if the same happens on flights to BJL CKY, OUA, ABJ, LFW or ACC, there is little alternate offer unless you want to send your customers first to IST or ADD.

Now how about going for the next "Fox Three"?
The need for SN is to develop their market share in western Africa. The recent geopolitical changes in this area that puts AF in trouble, creates opportunities. Direct flights, or max 1 en route stop, originating from BRU instead of CDG presents an attractive alternative to francophones (make sure CC are up to this).
Not sure if the yield on Dakar is good (flights in Y are often 400-500€ only), but other destinations currently served by SN seem much better.
I had great difficulties to ship some material to FNA this summer. Even LH Cargo responded "we cannot take any booking to FNA at this time". To give them on-site training I had prices in the range of 1600-2000 with SN and almost no alternative (AT, ...).

I don't see the immediate importance on adding a flight to NBO.

H.A.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

It has been decided to add an English speaking destination in order to boost the transatlantic flight from Washington and New York. In the other hand, there is an expansion foreseen as well in west-africa since during winter there will be additionnal flight to Dakar, Banjul, Conacry, Freetown and Monrovia.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 20:32 It has been decided to add an English speaking destination in order to boost the transatlantic flight from Washington and New York. In the other hand, there is an expansion foreseen as well in west-africa since during winter there will be additionnal flight to Dakar, Banjul, Conacry, Freetown and Monrovia.
Thanks for the clarification.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

crew1990 wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 20:32 It has been decided to add an English speaking destination in order to boost the transatlantic flight from Washington and New York. In the other hand, there is an expansion foreseen as well in west-africa since during winter there will be additionnal flight to Dakar, Banjul, Conacry, Freetown and Monrovia.
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 12 Sep 2023, 20:02

Now how about going for the next "Fox Three"?
The need for SN is to develop their market share in western Africa. The recent geopolitical changes in this area that puts AF in trouble, creates opportunities. Direct flights, or max 1 en route stop, originating from BRU instead of CDG presents an attractive alternative to francophones (make sure CC are up to this).
Not sure if the yield on Dakar is good (flights in Y are often 400-500€ only), but other destinations currently served by SN seem much better.
I had great difficulties to ship some material to FNA this summer. Even LH Cargo responded "we cannot take any booking to FNA at this time". To give them on-site training I had prices in the range of 1600-2000 with SN and almost no alternative (AT, ...).

I don't see the immediate importance on adding a flight to NBO.

H.A.
A big part of Air France West Africa network is offline .

Air France ended flights to Monrovia and Banjul last year. Freetown will be ended from late October 2023. Niamey, Ouagadougou and Bamako still suspending.

From Jeune Afrique which has always good sources:

Mali, Burkina, Niger… For Air France, the end of the golden age?

By hastily leaving Bamako, the French company incurred the wrath of the local authorities. While services to several African destinations are suspended, competitors are already in ambush

[...]

Since the suspension of flights the loss of income for Air France is about 3M euros for Niamey and Ougadougou, 6M for Bamako. Mali gouvernement has also said that

"Because the Malian agency also warns that Air France slots “could be granted to another company which requests them”.'

https://www-jeuneafrique-com.translate. ... r_pto=wapp

Doors are open for SN in West Africa.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Spotted at the delivery centre today

© Frenchpainter

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

Do we have more info on the NEO's, f.e. the delivery date of the first one @ BRU?

Duke

Post by Duke »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 17:18 Do we have more info on the NEO's, f.e. the delivery date of the first one @ BRU?
Will this one have the new cabin that LH is going to install in older A32O's, as announced today?
Will this one have WIFI on board?
In these days, it's becoming hard to accept to fly in an aircraft without any WIFI...
I can't imagine it's a technical difficult issue to install WIFI, even in short haul planes?

Regards,

Duke

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Question nr1: yes with "Geven" seat, OO-SNO has been retrofit already with this new interior
Question nr2: no

The objectif is to have a unified A320's fleet withing the group with the same equipment layout and cabin, so it can be transfered from an airline to another one very quicky and be flown by any other crew from sister airlines. So there could be more flexibility, like sending an Aurstrian aircraft to ZRH if Swiss is lacking of an aircraft or send a Brussels crew to perform a Lufthansa flight out of MUC for example in case of a punctual lake of crew there.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

You mean: USB ports installed on 1 aircraft, but not yet activated.

Still a long way to go for WiFi on board ...

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

OO-SNO has been retrofited with the Geven seat as well, and indeed the USB ports are not installed yet, this is why I didn't mention it.

convair

Post by convair »

crew1990 wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 22:44 OO-SNO has been retrofited with the Geven seat as well, and indeed the USB ports are not installed yet, this is why I didn't mention it.
luchtzak wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 22:33 You mean: USB ports installed on 1 aircraft, but not yet activated.

Still a long way to go for WiFi on board ...
No USB, no WiFi !! In the 21st century!