Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Jeremy De Winter

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by Jeremy De Winter »

luchtzak wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 22:11 The editorial team is looking for pictures of OO-SNQ ! www.aviation24.be/contact
I saw some pictures in the East Midlands Airport Spotters group on Facebook.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

crew1990 wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 17:02 In the mean time, OO-SNQ, 34th A32s just arrived home after some maintenance in Ljubjana and a fresh painting in East Midland. It will start revenue flight in the coming days.

The SN 45-aircraft fleet is now fully ready to tackle the busy summer month, consisting of:

2 CRJ900 operated by City Jet
16 A319
18 A320
9 A330

Delivery of A320neo's will soon start as well as a replacement of the A319
When is "soon" ? Obviously, after LH and LX have been "served".
Airlines which have decided or are considering a participation/acquisition by LH should have a thorough look at how LH is treating SN (and OS perhaps too).

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Sorry for being sarcastic about aircraft in the Star Alliance livery. Actually, I find it just as "inspiring" as the new LH and SN liveries. Just, dull or bad taste. (my humble objective opinion)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

PopUp wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 22:51 When is "soon" ? Obviously, after LH and LX have been "served".
Airlines which have decided or are considering a participation/acquisition by LH should have a thorough look at how LH is treating SN (and OS perhaps too).
Very true.

From day 1 LH has treated SN like an unwanted child. And while it's true they have helped them to stay afloat, it is only this bare minimum they have done for SN. Nothing more. While LX and OS are getting 787's or A350's, SN gets old second hand A330's to replace even older A330's. (and almost weekly long haul flights are cancelled because of technical issues, I don't have a clue why :roll: )...

It is clear why LH bought SN when you look at the flights from BRU to the LH hubs FRA and MUC. I counted them today: 15 flights. On one day. 15(!) flights to feed their long haul operations in FRA or MUC instead of investing in SN and give SN more direct long haul routes. The sad truth. SN is trapped within the LH Group, and is mainly used as a simple feeder for mother LH.

convair

Post by convair »

From day 1 LH has treated SN like an unwanted child. And while it's true they have helped them to stay afloat, it is only this bare minimum they have done for SN. Nothing more. While LX and OS are getting 787's or A350's, SN gets old second hand A330's to replace even older A330's. (and almost weekly long haul flights are cancelled because of technical issues, I don't have a clue why :roll: )...

It is clear why LH bought SN when you look at the flights from BRU to the LH hubs FRA and MUC. I counted them today: 15 flights. On one day. 15(!) flights to feed their long haul operations in FRA or MUC instead of investing in SN and give SN more direct long haul routes. The sad truth. SN is trapped within the LH Group, and is mainly used as a simple feeder for mother LH.
I fully agree with this analysis. It will be interesting to see how the "new" Alitalia will be treated.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Indeed, that will be very interesting. Imho, LH will wait to acquire 100 % of AZ (and perhaps TP ?) until the situation at AZ is so dire that they will be able to grab it for peanuts and occupy the terrain. Nevertheless, they will have to face much more competition from LCCs than at BRU and CRL together.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

Boavida wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 23:47From day 1 LH has treated SN like an unwanted child. And while it's true they have helped them to stay afloat, it is only this bare minimum they have done for SN. Nothing more. While LX and OS are getting 787's or A350's, SN gets old second hand A330's to replace even older A330's. (and almost weekly long haul flights are cancelled because of technical issues, I don't have a clue why :roll: )...

Funny (well, actually not funny at all) enough, what you write is equally true for OS: Spohr never liked OS - or VIE as a hub and reluctantly accepted to have it, still treating it as a secondary feeder hub for Eastern Europe. The LH strategy seems clear: feed the mainline in FRA and MUC (today: 11x VIE-FRA, 5x VIE-MUC) and accept that ZRH is strong on its own as both a business and a longhaul hub (8x VIE-ZRH) - while VIE serves as feeder from the East and BRU as feeder from the West.

And while you are right that OS is finally getting 787's, they come as a replacement for an ageing longhaul fleet that SN never had: the 767's they just phased out were nearly 30 years old and their 777s are not much younger. OS hasn't received a new longhaul aircraft since 2007 (OE-LPD) - all that came afterwards were second- and third-hand jets. So while I see SN being treated as somewhat of an unwanted foster child by the LH management, OS isn't better off either...
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

Totally true.
The Italian (and Portuguese) government(s) don't remember (or do not know?) what happened to Sabena and still believe in presents from Santa Spohr.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

PopUp wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 22:51
crew1990 wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 17:02 In the mean time, OO-SNQ, 34th A32s just arrived home after some maintenance in Ljubjana and a fresh painting in East Midland. It will start revenue flight in the coming days.

The SN 45-aircraft fleet is now fully ready to tackle the busy summer month, consisting of:

2 CRJ900 operated by City Jet
16 A319
18 A320
9 A330

Delivery of A320neo's will soon start as well as a replacement of the A319
When is "soon" ? Obviously, after LH and LX have been "served".
OO-SBA the first neo just came out of the paint shop in TLS today, wearing the SN livery with the kind of "back zorro mask" around the cockpit window, it looks very nice actually.

Delivery is forseen in August and first revenue flight in october.

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

HQ_BRU_Lover wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 12:03
crew1990 wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 15:47 First A320neo officialy entered it's final assembly phase in Toulouse
Nice, curious to see the firs pictures of the bird!
Video available here, with a special livery : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH2QYf ... lsAirlines

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

Boavida wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 23:47
PopUp wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 22:51 When is "soon" ? Obviously, after LH and LX have been "served".
Very true.

Also LH can spend the EUR only once. And there is no mistery in the fact that the brands of the group are competing for ressources.

And if you just complain about SN's long haul fleet, than look at the subfleets LH has in the air - the 343's are 21-27 years old and the 744 are 21-25 years old. The apparently "old" 333 SN is using are 13-18 y old and the Belgian entity wouldn't have had the money to finance them without the LH umbrella.

And you should not forget where SN is coming from : a large AVRO's fleet, replaced today by 319. With the introduction of the E295 and A223 one can say that the routes and size of SN are mainly those of a regional airline.

There is a clear strategy now in place - transition to an all A320 fleet and obviously flying only those routes which bring enough pax for it. And for the time being a selected niche in West Africa where other brands of the group do not compete yet. If TAP would land as a next acquisition in LH's hands, this might change, as obvioulsy LIS would be a better hub.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

I have been told that TAP service to Western Africa is expensive and only offers a "European" type of service, also in Business Class.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Miqvell wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 20:29
crew1990 wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 15:47 First A320neo officialy entered it's final assembly phase in Toulouse
Video available here, with a special livery : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plH2QYf ... lsAirlines
It seems to me that the larger grey dots are more green-blue now... maybe just an impression because the pictures or the video seem to be made in evening lights... but I don't like it...

Regards,

Duke

Miqvell

Post by Miqvell »

Duke wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 13:14
Miqvell wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 20:29
It seems to me that the larger grey dots are more green-blue now... maybe just an impression because the pictures or the video seem to be made in evening lights... but I don't like it...

Regards,

Duke
The green dots are actually part of the special livery, linked with sustainability.

PopUp

Post by PopUp »

How smart of them !!! Unfortunately, the chickenpox dots are still there. No cure ?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

The green dots make it so ugly :|

Please SN, stop this obsession with 'special' liveries are work on your brand consistency.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

* and work on your brand consistency

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Boavida wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 18:21 The green dots make it so ugly :|

Please SN, stop this obsession with 'special' liveries are work on your brand consistency.
And erm, apart from some avgeeks, who will spot the difference?
I can't see any problem with their "brand consistency" here.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Lux_avi wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 20:25

The green and the red simply don't match at all... the green dots make the already ugly livery even look worse...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Duke wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 10:02
Lux_avi wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 20:25

The green and the red simply don't match at all... the green dots make the already ugly livery even look worse...
Totally agree.
Trying to ride the green wave is a nonsense. (certainly visual)