Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) infrastructure: future

Post by Ozzie1969 »

fcw wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 18:07
Passenger wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 12:35 The Diabolo surcharge will increase from 5,00 € to 5,8403 € on 01st February 2023.
Increase from 5,70€ to 6,20 to be correct.
I live within walking distance of Brugge train station, where I can take a Flixbus to BRU for €8,99, or a Flibco to BRU for €9,99. With these alternatives, they can raise their Diabolo surcharge tenfold or more, they will never get a penny from me.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

A week or 2 ago we had the presentation of the new development around the terminal.

It will be a huge project which contains the extention of the terminal, a second hotel on the site and a few new office buildings. In front of it will be a huge square.

The reason why building 1 of DHL is still not demolished is that they still find asbest all the time.

The whole new area will not be recognizable when we compare it with the current situation.

The constructions will start in 2025. In some time, the press will be informed too.

The bus and taxi area is another project bcs in some time the new tram line fron the direction of NATO will also arrive at the airport.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Today they will start with the demolition of Building 2. The former huge building of DHL and Aviapartner.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

On the place of the demolished Building 2, the new hotel will be constructed. New office building will be also in that area.

The extention of the terminal will be more in the front of the current entrances and the whole Diamond. The Diamond now is not exactly a part of the terminal but has all services such as elevators, moving stairs, etc. This is a huge space which will become free for the extention of the terminal.

The square in front of the terminal will become wider.

For the moment nothing 100% sure where the drop off zone will come. This will be part of the huge refurbishment of the intermodal area. Also by 2028 the new tram line will be integrated.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Atlantis wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 14:19 On the place of the demolished Building 2, the new hotel will be constructed. New office building will be also in that area.

The extention of the terminal will be more in the front of the current entrances and the whole Diamond. The Diamond now is not exactly a part of the terminal but has all services such as elevators, moving stairs, etc. This is a huge space which will become free for the extention of the terminal.

For the moment nothing 100% sure where the drop off zone will come. This will be part of the huge refurbishment of the intermodal area. Also by 2028 the new tram line will be integrated.
Would it be a De Lijn tram line or an extended STIB/MIVB line like the 62? On the other hand, would the extension of the Terminal be the extension of the current PIER A in a straight line or slightly offset? Thank's

danieln

Post by danieln »

According to the original plans of 2016, the so called "pier A West" would be an extension of the current existing pier A, in a straight line (where the Ryanair and Easyjet planes are parked now). I don't know if the plans for pier C still exist. This would be a pier, parallel with the current A and B piers, starting at the point of the old "satellite".

This old article (in Dutch) sums it up nicely:

https://flightlevel.be/52866/brussels-a ... isie-2040/

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

nordikcam wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 14:28
Atlantis wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 14:19 On the place of the demolished Building 2, the new hotel will be constructed. New office building will be also in that area.

Would it be a De Lijn tram line or an extended STIB/MIVB line like the 62? On the other hand, would the extension of the Terminal be the extension of the current PIER A in a straight line or slightly offset? Thank's
Hi Nordikcam,

The new tram line will be the extension of the current one which has a terminus at NATO.
Flanders gave already approval. It's still waiting for the Brussels approval.

The extension of the terminal has nothing to do with Pier A West. That project is in the fridge as there is still more than capacity enough in the current one.

Also the extra runway is removed from the previous Vision 2040. Bigger planes are flying to the airport, so the extra runway capacity is not needed anymore.

Forget about Vision 2040, the only thing what still exists from that plan is the renovation and extension of Brucargo.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

danieln wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 15:12 According to the original plans of 2016, the so called "pier A West" would be an extension of the current existing pier A, in a straight line (where the Ryanair and Easyjet planes are parked now). I don't know if the plans for pier C still exist. This would be a pier, parallel with the current A and B piers, starting at the point of the old "satellite".

This old article (in Dutch) sums it up nicely:

https://flightlevel.be/52866/brussels-a ... isie-2040/

Hi,

Vision 2040 is not existing anymore. The satellite is now fully taken by the police for the next 5 years. By then a whole new building will be constructed for them. Still uncertain, at this moment, what the future will be for the satellite.

The airport still needs to recover from the pandemic and attracting again airlines, long haul is priority now, and pax.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Atlantis wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 13:54 A week or 2 ago we had the presentation of the new development around the terminal.

It will be a huge project which contains the extention of the terminal, a second hotel on the site and a few new office buildings. In front of it will be a huge square.

The reason why building 1 of DHL is still not demolished is that they still find asbest all the time.

The whole new area will not be recognizable when we compare it with the current situation.

The constructions will start in 2025. In some time, the press will be informed too.

The bus and taxi area is another project bcs in some time the new tram line fron the direction of NATO will also arrive at the airport.
Excellent news!

A few questions:

- If the terminal will be expanded towards the front, how is it possible that there could be a new (bigger) square in front of it? Because today, Front Park 1 is already very close to the terminal. I don't see any space for this new square? Are they going to demolish any existing buildings there? (front park, Sheraton,...?)

- This is building 1 of DHL, right?

So where is this 'Building 2' of DHL/Avia, where the new hotel will be?

- Did you see pictures of the 'new' terminal? I hope the new building will be pleasing architecturally and is not only functional. Do you know when these images will be made public? Is it a matter of weeks/months/years?

Thx!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 15:50
Atlantis wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 13:54 A week or 2 ago we had the presentation of the new development around the terminal.

Excellent news!

A few questions:

- If the terminal will be expanded towards the front, how is it possible that there could be a new (bigger) square in front of it? Because today, Front Park 1 is already very close to the terminal. I don't see any space for this new square? Are they going to demolish any existing buildings there? (front park, Sheraton,...?)

- This is building 1 of DHL, right?

So where is this 'Building 2' of DHL/Avia, where the new hotel will be?

- Did you see pictures of the 'new' terminal? I hope the new building will be pleasing architecturally and is not only functional. Do you know when these images will be made public? Is it a matter of weeks/months/years?

Thx!
That particular building is building 2 (the terminal itself is 1, I believe) and will be demolished to make way for the terminal extension.

Don't know about the plans today, but at some point the (hideous) FP2 would be demolished as well, together with everything standing on it.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

One more thing about the architecture of the new developments at BRU. I hope they realize these new structures will be here for decades to come, so the architecture should be interesting, remarkable, pleasing to the eye. Not like the bland, boring "design" of the new Compass building for example:

This is the kind of building nobody looks twice at.

All over the world, and all over Europe, airports are renewing their infrastructure with beautiful designs. Some examples:

Riga Airport

Oslo

New airport in Poland

Copenhagen

Schiphol

And the list goes on and on and on...

An airport isn't just an office building. It shouldn't be just 'functional'. It's a gateway to a country. It represents a country in a way. It is the first impression international visitors get, so please, make it beautiful.

I hope the "capital of Europe" doesn't stay behind and strips the whole (current) terminal when they extend it and basically start from 0 again by choosing a beautiful design for it!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:30 One more thing about the architecture of the new developments at BRU. I hope they realize these new structures will be here for decades to come, so the architecture should be interesting, remarkable, pleasing to the eye. Not like the bland, boring "design" of the new Compass building for example:

All over the world, and all over Europe, airports are renewing their infrastructure with beautiful designs. Some examples:

Riga Airport

Oslo

New airport in Poland

Copenhagen

Schiphol

An airport isn't just an office building. It shouldn't be just 'functional'. It's a gateway to a country. It represents a country in a way. It is the first impression international visitors get, so please, make it beautiful.

I hope the "capital of Europe" doesn't stay behind and strips the whole (current) terminal when they extend it and basically start from 0 again by choosing a beautiful design for it!
They just renovated the facade of the '58 terminal in ghe same style as the '90s terminal, so I wouldn't hope for it.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:30 One more thing about the architecture of the new developments at BRU. I hope they realize these new structures will be here for decades to come, so the architecture should be interesting, remarkable, pleasing to the eye. Not like the bland, boring "design" of the new Compass building for example:

Riga Airport

Oslo

New airport in Poland

Copenhagen

Schiphol

And where the hell you will go with all the passengers if you want to start from 0 again?? Easy to say from an armchair, but such projects needs to be done in phases to minimise the inconvenience for the pax.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Boavida wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 10:30
An airport isn't just an office building. It shouldn't be just 'functional'. It's a gateway to a country. It represents a country in a way. It is the first impression international visitors get
Perfect. It fully represents the cacophony that is Belgium.

your box is ticked here buddy :lol: :lol: :lol:

fcw

Post by fcw »

Matt wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 08:09

Off topic and borderline politics, but can I ask on what you base your opinion?
I’ve worked and lived in 5 different countries and I can assure you: if you consider everything Belgium isn’t that bad at all!
Back to the airport infrastructure: it needs to be functional and efficient in the first place, all the rest is just window dressing.

Matt

Post by Matt »

fcw wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 09:32
Matt wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 08:09

Off topic and borderline politics, but can I ask on what you base your opinion?
I’ve worked and lived in 5 different countries and I can assure you: if you consider everything Belgium isn’t that bad at all!
Back to the airport infrastructure: it needs to be functional and efficient in the first place, all the rest is just window dressing.
Ok for the sake of the argument and not going politically (don't wan't to open that pile of **** ) I'm just going architecturally here.

The main facade and airport buildings themselves are a cacaphony:

North to south :

Pier A: Modern style
Pier B: 90s
(old) Pier C: 50-70s

when you walk around Brussels, you find these 3 styles merged into one another all the time. ( just look at the North Station and the WTC buildings, as an example)

The famous "lintbebouwing" is also a prime example of this. How many times do I see super modern houses right next to an older building, right next to a house of the 90s ? This is typically Belgium, I have not yet seen this in other countries. There are other monstrosities like that in Belgium which am not going to go into )

So yes. The airport represents this kind of cacaphony that is Belgium. A mix of new and old, not sticking to 1 style (I think it's ugly as **** but that's another story )

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Matt wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 09:54 So yes. The airport represents this kind of cacaphony that is Belgium. A mix of new and old, not sticking to 1 style (I think it's ugly as **** but that's another story )

Point taken :lol:

Atlantis wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 22:09 And where the hell you will go with all the passengers if you want to start from 0 again?? Easy to say from an armchair, but such projects needs to be done in phases to minimise the inconvenience for the pax.
Easy :)

When I say "start from 0", I don't mean demolishing anything but stripping the complete interior and start with a new interior design. This can be done in phases, obviously.

Btw, have you seen pictures of the new extension during the presentation you attended?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Boavida wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 14:04
Matt wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 09:54 So yes. The airport represents this kind of cacaphony that is Belgium. A mix of new and old, not sticking to 1 style (I think it's ugly as **** but that's another story )

Atlantis wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 22:09 And where the hell you will go with all the passengers if you want to start from 0 again?? Easy to say from an armchair, but such projects needs to be done in phases to minimise the inconvenience for the pax.

When I say "start from 0", I don't mean demolishing anything but stripping the complete interior and start with a new interior design. This can be done in phases, obviously.

Btw, have you seen pictures of the new extension during the presentation you attended?
Yes, but we have to wait now till the moment it will be released to the press. No idea, when that will be.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Boavida wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 14:04

What exactly do you want them to change inside? The options in the 90's-terminal are very limited.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Conti764 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 14:46 What exactly do you want them to change inside? The options in the 90's-terminal are very limited.
On the contrary. The possibilities are endless. Within the existing structures, you can change literally everything (floors, ceilings, position/design of checkin counters, shops,...)

The terminal could look something like this:

Remove the shops and other desks from the exterior glass wall so as much light as possible can enter the terminal. Small changes can lead to big improvements. Etc....

Another example: the horribly outdated baggage reclaim area. You can perfectly transform this area into this:

Just hire a good architect, and the possibilities are endless!