Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: Brussels Airlines' fleet renewal

Post by crew1990 »

For the growth of the short/medium haul fleet, I don't see SN take new a319/a320 this year on it's own. They are too cautious for that. If it was the case they would be hiring more crew than what they do now.

What I would rather see would be a wetlease within the group as many aircraft are still unused or maybe a wetlease with what seems to be a new friend of the group, Air Baltic with A220-300.

RedNose

Post by RedNose »

longwings wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 18:12 Repainting an A320x costs approx. $50-60,000 per American Airlines. Deadheading a crew is a marginal cost by comparison.

If the goal was to maximize savings, Brussels Airlines would schedule the next aircraft to be painted on the evening BRU-LHR, then ferry the plane empty to EMA overnight, and bring a freshly painted aircraft back to LHR in time for the morning flight to BRU.
Repainting an aircraft is not like repainting your bedroom ... just an idea about the steps:
1) mounting of scaffolding
2) cleaning off old paint
3) applying a primary color and letting it dry
4) applying base color and letting it dry
5) applying custom made paint and letting it dry
6) unmounting scaffolding

All this in overnight ? Try it at home first and let me know what it gives ;)

lucas

Post by lucas »

RedNose wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 15:14
longwings wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 18:12 Repainting an A320x costs approx. $50-60,000 per American Airlines. Deadheading a crew is a marginal cost by comparison.

If the goal was to maximize savings, Brussels Airlines would schedule the next aircraft to be painted on the evening BRU-LHR, then ferry the plane empty to EMA overnight, and bring a freshly painted aircraft back to LHR in time for the morning flight to BRU.
Repainting an aircraft is not like repainting your bedroom ... just an idea about the steps:
1) mounting of scaffolding
2) cleaning off old paint
3) applying a primary color and letting it dry
4) applying base color and letting it dry
5) applying custom made paint and letting it dry
6) unmounting scaffolding

I think that he meant that the pilots that arrive in EMA in the evening with the plane that has to be painted can leave the next morning with the previous plane.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

BRU-LHR-EMA-waiting time-LHR-BRU

So if I understand well, the suggestion would be to do a 4-stretch-13hours-night duty? :lol:

longwings

Post by longwings »

RedNose wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 15:14

Well, that is why it costs $50k.... lots of industrious elves, magical paint, and a time-suspension machine. At least that's how it works when I repaint my bedroom.
crew1990 wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 17:29 BRU-LHR-EMA-waiting time-LHR-BRU

So if I understand well, the suggestion would be to do a 4-stretch-13hours-night duty? :lol:
I will let you re-read what I wrote around crewing these flights and then let you come to your own conclusions around your... understanding.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

longwings wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 07:19 I will let you re-read what I wrote around crewing these flights and then let you come to your own conclusions around your... understanding.
longwings wrote: 08 Jan 2022, 18:12 If the goal was to maximize savings, Brussels Airlines would schedule the next aircraft to be painted on the evening BRU-LHR, then ferry the plane empty to EMA overnight, and bring a freshly painted aircraft back to LHR in time for the morning flight to BRU.
Well I did, but unfortunately you talk about the aircrafts and flights but don't talk about your genious idea to crew them. Why making complicated when you can do simple. Anyway.

RTM

Post by RTM »

Seems this went unnoticed...
But last tuesday, 8-2, OO-SSM, the final aircraft in the fleet with a tie to the old Sabena, took off for her final flight to St. Athan.

RTM

Post by RTM »

OO-SSH Just did its first take off in two years.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Has someone any info on OO-SNO? It was suppose to join the fleet in june, but we know nothing so far, from where it comes from etc.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Just a little hint regarding OO-SNO, there where a ferry flight Pegasus Airlines from Istanbul to Brussels yesterday ;)

Matt

Post by Matt »

OO-SNO will be MSN 3831

I hope this one will get the SN colors and not the EW like OO-SNN ?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

It will start flying in September, it will be retrofitted and repainted in october

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Is the repaint process (+ retrofit) of the fleet still under progress ? Where are we standing now ?

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

You can best follow this here:

https://sites.google.com/view/europeanairlinefleets/bel

Currently 11 are painted in the new schema (7 A319, 3 A320 and 1 A330) - White with blue symbol for the plane

I guess they do not repaint now, usually that is more done in the winter season for the obvious reason ...

D

oldblueeyes

Post by oldblueeyes »

What is the timeline of upgauging from 319 to an all 320 fleet on shorthaul routes?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

DannyVDB wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 11:17 You can best follow this here:

https://sites.google.com/view/europeanairlinefleets/bel

Currently 11 are painted in the new schema (7 A319, 3 A320 and 1 A330) - White with blue symbol for the plane

I guess they do not repaint now, usually that is more done in the winter season for the obvious reason ...

D
No, only 2 A320's, OO-SNO is at the moment full white and due to repaint around october/november

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Why not beginning by the A320 which still is in EW colors ?

longwings

Post by longwings »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 11:59 Why not beginning by the A320 which still is in EW colors ?
Often livery updates and maintenance go hand-in-hand. Less disruptive from a network scheduling perspective to take an aircraft out of service for paint and C/D checks together - even if done at separate facilities - than scheduling two down times separately, one for paint the other for maintenance. Maybe the Eurowings aircraft are not due for maintenance yet.

Even if the decision is made to separate paint from maintenance (new livery needs to go on asap, scheduling can't afford to have the plane out for paint and maintenance, etc.), still have to make sure enough planes are available to operate the schedule. Can't repaint an Eurowing aircraft if another aircraft is already out for planned maintenance and the schedule can't afford two planes out of service.

Age of livery is also a factor. When not during maintenance, aircraft with an older livery tend to be repainted earlier than aircraft with a newer one.

Finally cost vs lifespan is a factor. Aircraft within one-to-two years of fleet exit typically do not get repainted bc not worth the cost, unless the livery is really showing its age. Not sure that applies to Brussels' A320 in Eurowings livery though.

convair

Post by convair »

Meanwhile SFJ (so-called spare A330) went to Amman on Monday 19th. This seems to be in line with daily reduction of lh flights; eg: IAD flights have been discontinued since that day; winter season starting already?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

convair wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 17:47 Meanwhile SFJ (so-called spare A330) went to Amman on Monday 19th. This seems to be in line with daily reduction of lh flights; eg: IAD flights have been discontinued since that day; winter season starting already?
Unbelievable that a home carrier discontinued flights between the two major diplomatic cities in the world. OK, most of them are using UA but still there is always space for that extra flight