BA seat selection, any experiences ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Novastar

BA seat selection, any experiences ?

Post by Novastar »

After canceling our first trip (due this weekend actually) to Dubai I booked new economy tickets with BA for a round trip BRU-LHR-DXB for the end of april. Found these at a nice price and I finally get to fly an A380 :)

But after booking the seat selection got me a bit pissed : window seats 78 eur pp one way for lhr-dxb !! I mean that's more than 30% extra on top of the fare. Even a middle row seat was 28 eur pp one way... But THE question : was it really necessary to book seats in advance for a fee as I understand from the website that you are able to select a seat for free so people who didn't pay for seat selection might end up with an expensive window row seat while not having paid extra for it ?

I saw the seat bookings for my flight on ExpertFlyer and for now a lot of seats are not "booked" so I wonder if I paid 150 eur extra for nothing :/
Flown: A319 / 320 / 321 / 350 - B737 / 757 / 767 / 777 / 787 - MD11 - Fokker 50 - Fairchild SA-227

Tomskii

Re: BA seat selection, any experiences ?

Post by Tomskii »

While checking in online you will be able to select a seat, so I would personally never pay up front. Just check-in 24h in advance (like on the dot) and you should have the seat of your liking. If you really, really, really want a window seat though you can pay up front. It's quite personal.